• Jan 31st, 2018 5:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2001
317 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville

2018 Honda Civic SE vs VW Golf Comfortline [Update: went with GTI]

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the 2018 Civic SE and the VW Golf Comfortline. I've got a pretty strict budget (this would be a leased second car used primarily for short commuting), so these are the highest trim lines available. I've done test drives of both, but to be honest I didn't get much out of the experience (the weather wasn't great and they didn't last more than 10 minutes). Golf seemed a bit quicker than the Civic (which has the older 2.0l/158hp engine). Golf also had a few more options like the 8" screen, leatherette and sunroof, but none of the active safety features from the Civic.

Has anyone spent any meaningful time with both or have any thoughts on one or the other?
Last edited by Ashtangi on Jan 21st, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
71 replies
Feb 19, 2012
901 posts
592 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you're on a budget buy the Civic. It will probably be more reliable in the long run.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3375 posts
774 upvotes
Home
greybrick wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 4:28 pm
If you're on a budget buy the Civic. It will probably be more reliable in the long run.
Compared to other vehicles in VW line-up, Golf has been a quite solid & reliable choice as well.
Also, make sure to check your insurance for the two cars. I like Civics too but they have been one of those with highest insurance.
Koodo $40 6GB
[OP]
Oct 14, 2001
317 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
I'm not too concerned with reliability as it'll be leased and will have full warranty coverage for the term. And yes, the insurance on the Civic is about $15 more per month, which offsets the slightly cheaper monthly lease payment.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2049 posts
591 upvotes
2016 Golf Comfortline owner here with over 56,000km on the odo. The only real issue I have encountered so far is a wind leak noise at the drivers side window, which was fixed by the dealer/contractor under warranty. Other than that there are 0 issues to report.
The Golf really shines during long distance commute. The seat comfort, low road noise, solid/planted feeling is un-matched by Corolla/Civics/Elantras/Mazda3s. I also have the upgraded Fender stereo which sounds significantly better than any stock stereo. All that low end torque available around 1800rpm is probably why the Golf feels a lot faster than any traditional 4 banger, PLUS its not mated to a CVT.

If your commute is really short and you dont road trip often, get whatever has the lowest total monthly cost. I wouldn't worry about VW reliability at all as you will be covered by warranty under the whole term of your lease anyways.
Nov 15, 2017
561 posts
369 upvotes
terry0703 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 4:50 pm
Compared to other vehicles in VW line-up, Golf has been a quite solid & reliable choice as well.
Also, make sure to check your insurance for the two cars. I like Civics too but they have been one of those with highest insurance.
Golf is one of the cheapest cars to insure in the segment. The insurance savings over the Civic is likely about $100 - $200 per year. Civic makes up this deficit with fuel savings.

With that said, the Golf is the better car in terms of perform and quality.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2001
317 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
malecoke wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 5:06 pm
2016 Golf Comfortline owner here with over 56,000km on the odo. The only real issue I have encountered so far is a wind leak noise at the drivers side window, which was fixed by the dealer/contractor under warranty. Other than that there are 0 issues to report.
The Golf really shines during long distance commute. The seat comfort, low road noise, solid/planted feeling is un-matched by Corolla/Civics/Elantras/Mazda3s. I also have the upgraded Fender stereo which sounds significantly better than any stock stereo. All that low end torque available around 1800rpm is probably why the Golf feels a lot faster than any traditional 4 banger, PLUS its not mated to a CVT.

If your commute is really short and you dont road trip often, get whatever has the lowest total monthly cost. I wouldn't worry about VW reliability at all as you will be covered by warranty under the whole term of your lease anyways.
Thanks - this is the sort of stuff that I wasn't able to get a sense of during the test drive. It didn't feel as flashy as the Civic overall, but it definitely had a solidness to it. I'm finding it difficult to get any real comparisons as the automotive magazine/blog comparisons often don't include the Golf - it's all about the Civic, Mazda3 and the Corolla.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
129 upvotes
Ashtangi wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 4:06 pm
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the 2018 Civic SE and the VW Golf Comfortline. I've got a pretty strict budget (this would be a leased second car used primarily for short commuting), so these are the highest trim lines available. I've done test drives of both, but to be honest I didn't get much out of the experience (the weather wasn't great and they didn't last more than 10 minutes). Golf seemed a bit quicker than the Civic (which has the older 2.0l/158hp engine). Golf also had a few more options like the 8" screen, leatherette and sunroof, but none of the active safety features from the Civic.

Has anyone spent any meaningful time with both or have any thoughts on one or the other?
You need to add the driver assist package to the golf to get the safety features standard on the civic

Its stupid how VW doesn't include any basic safety feature and makes you pay $1750 to get the basics
Feb 19, 2017
320 posts
133 upvotes
Price-wise, wouldn't the Golf Trendline (5-door) be the closer comparison to the Civic SE? Personally the Comfortline doesn't add enough bells and whistles to make the price difference worthwhile.
Oct 30, 2007
57 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
OP see if this article is helpful. However, the civic in this article is the 1.5T sport.

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparison ... rison-test

I have a 2016 Comfortline and similar to malecoke it has been great @ 45k now. Its also great on gas on the highway/freeway but as soon as you do some city driving and get stuck in traffic gas consumption increases quickly. When i bought the golf i test drove the 1.5T Civic as well, i thought i also drove well but i didn't like the busy interior and it lacked the solid feel of the VW.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2001
317 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
50centdollars wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 8:48 am
Price-wise, wouldn't the Golf Trendline (5-door) be the closer comparison to the Civic SE? Personally the Comfortline doesn't add enough bells and whistles to make the price difference worthwhile.
It seems to fall in between the Trendline and the Comfortline. It’s slightly more on the lease but the Civic is more expensive to insure.

I actually like the Comfortline features - the leatherette, sunroof, larger infotainment screen, keyless entry. Of course they’re all just niceties - not essential.
Nov 15, 2017
561 posts
369 upvotes
Ashtangi wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 9:01 am
It seems to fall in between the Trendline and the Comfortline. It’s slightly more on the lease but the Civic is more expensive to insure.

I actually like the Comfortline features - the leatherette, sunroof, larger infotainment screen, keyless entry. Of course they’re all just niceties - not essential.
Driver assist package or no?
[OP]
Oct 14, 2001
317 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
BBZero wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 10:21 am
Driver assist package or no?
Nope.
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Both are terrific cars, but I just can't drive an unattractive car. From the long overhands, the bizarre Acura nose and awkward design lines throughout, the Civic just looks weird. Yes design is subjective bla bla bla , but Honda has been criticized heavily for its unattractive design, and the Civic is no stranger to ugly. Ugly is ugly.

Of course both drive great, have upper level performance numbers and have great interiors for their class, but that Civic exterior...
Jul 23, 2013
215 posts
62 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hands down the Golf if you're leasing. IMO it's a better overall car vs the Civic.

Looks: Golf
Interior: Golf
Performance: Golf
Reliability: Civic

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)