• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 10:36 pm
[OP]
Oct 10, 2005
329 posts
19 upvotes

2018 Honda Civic Sedan or Hatchback

Hi

We are in the process of purchasing a new family car. We have narrowed down our choice to

1. 2018 Civic Hatchback LX-Honda Sensing invoice cost $22431
2. 2018 Civic Sedan EX-T invoice cost $23740
3. 2018 Civic Sedan Touring invoice cost $25797

From what can I tell, for about $1300 more EX-T sedan has a little bit better mileage, has fog lights, sunroof, remote engine starter, and dual climate

Or pay about $3300 more for all that and leather seat. I will have a car seats in the back row for another 3 - 4 years and not sure if it's worth paying more money for the top trim or just stick with basic hatchback since it does have everything I really wanted. Everything else is nice to have.

Currently we are driving 2003 Accord EX and 2005 Hyundai Elantra GL so any new car is an upgrade from what we currently drive.

With two young kids, which one will be a better fit?

Also, I have found a dealer who is willing to sell the car at cost. Do I still have room to negotiate or just take the offer?

As for the accessories, is there any I should add?

Originally, I was going to email all the dealers nearby with the trim, colour, accessories and trade in and ask for the best on the road pricing. Is that still the best route to take? Or take out the trade in and just negotiate purely on a car and then add trade in at the end?

Thanks for the help.
53 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26955 posts
3670 upvotes
Montreal
Kids can really stain cloth. I like leather for ease of cleaning. Or you put down a sheet.
Nov 15, 2017
729 posts
550 upvotes
Sedan for more rear passenger room. Hatchback for more cargo flexibility at the expense of rear legroom. If you were to compare Touring Sedan vs. the Sport/Sport Touring HB, you'd be choosing between ride comfort in the former, and handling in the latter.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1293 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
They also have a SE version for 2018 which is a good value over the LX. I think only in sedan though.
Nov 15, 2017
729 posts
550 upvotes
doonboy wrote: They also have a SE version for 2018 which is a good value over the LX. I think only in sedan though.
That's a good option for those who are scared of turbo engines.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26955 posts
3670 upvotes
Montreal
BBZero wrote: Sedan for more rear passenger room. Hatchback for more cargo flexibility at the expense of rear legroom.
WHy? Don't they share the same wheelbase? Rear legroom should be the same.
Nov 15, 2017
729 posts
550 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: WHy? Don't they share the same wheelbase? Rear legroom should be the same.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/ ... nce-259294

Not quite. The hatchback loses about 1.4" of legroom, but gains 0.3" of headroom at the back. Overall length of the hatchback is also a couple of inches shorter.

The difference would be negligible for some; especially since the new Civic is already pretty spacious. Sedan would be quieter than the hatchback to a certain extent.
Oct 15, 2017
436 posts
299 upvotes
Canada
How is the civic ride? Is it harsh? I had an 03 and it felt like there were no shocks. Everyone said that's called Honda road feel. Are these new ones like that as well?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1233 posts
538 upvotes
Considering the EX-T sedan myself and therefore curious what kind of deals people are getting.
Aug 30, 2007
407 posts
203 upvotes
Have a '16 LX Sedan. This kids hate about my car is the lack of rear charging ports :)

Other than that, the seats are roomy, however, if you get the cloth, I would get seat covers.
Nov 10, 2013
110 posts
58 upvotes
Don't bother with the EX-T. It's priced incorrectly unlike the American model and has had to be given a $1000 rebate on top of the existing one to make it attractive. For $2k more, you get leather, Premium sound, Nav, LED headlamps and turn signal mirrors, nicer wheels, sharkfin antenna. Stuff like that is the difference regarding whether you drive a cheap economy car or a borderline Acura. I got my 2016 Touring for 1% over Unhaggle with free wheel locks, rear splash guards and block heater but without rebates back when the car came out. If I had the chance, I would've waited for the Sport Touring hatch or Si but the Turbo engine really makes a difference regarding it's power delivery. It's not just better mileage or more power in terms of numbers but how max torque comes at 1600RPM. Never have I struggled with this car unlike previous Civics. With the CVT, it was actually an awkward forward momentum when I drove it, sorta like a train.

It rides stiff, but not harsh, so if anything I would suggest it has the same 'Honda road feel'. I'm 21 though so I do like that quality. I put the Type R steering wheel in too so it's thick and girthy. I just had a Nissan Altima rental due to a rear end and I never had that confidence regarding it's drive. Sorta like driving a boat.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1674 posts
268 upvotes
If you are in Ontario, you may want to look at the new Honda Clarity PHEV, it is a more expensive than the Civic but you can recover this cost in around 5 years time due to gas saving and maintenance saving (if your daily commute is around 70km). The base Clarity trim is around $33,000 out the door (including the $14,000 Ontario rebate). It has pure EV range of 76km (cost under $2 to charge fully if you charge from 7pm-7am) (Real Canada Winter range is around 50-60km, summer range should be over 80km-95km) and under 6L/100km gas mileage. It is Accord size so it can fit 3 adults or 2 car seats easily and come with almost everything you can want in a car and it is so quiet to drive in EV mode. You can drive the Clarity in full EV in highway speed. Got a real trunk with 15.5 cuft of space. I have a little write up in the 'Honda Clarity Touring under $xxxx' thread, check it out and you can ask me any questions regarding the car. I ordered my car in late Jan
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1622 posts
1980 upvotes
GTA
I looked at the Gen 10 Civic sedan and hatchback extensively.

The hatchback is much better from a cargo/handling perspective - however the premium gas requirement in the sport/sport touring trims was a major downer as it only has 8 more horsepower and the same engine.. not sure why premium gas is needed. Arguably harsher on the eyes, but looks are subjective.

The sedan was very comfortable. Ample space in the back seats.

I would highly reccomend sprining for the leather seats as they are much easier to maintain.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8567 upvotes
GTHA
georgecantstandya wrote: I looked at the Gen 10 Civic sedan and hatchback extensively.

The hatchback is much better from a cargo/handling perspective - however the premium gas requirement in the sport/sport touring trims was a major downer as it only has 8 more horsepower and the same engine.. not sure why premium gas is needed. Arguably harsher on the eyes, but looks are subjective.

The sedan was very comfortable. Ample space in the back seats.

I would highly reccomend sprining for the leather seats as they are much easier to maintain.
Customers wanted more performance as explained by Hayato Mori from Honda Canada in this video (starts at 3:19)..

Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1622 posts
1980 upvotes
GTA
tk1000 wrote: Customers wanted more performance as explained by Hayato Mori from Honda Canada in this video (starts at 3:19)..

Incredibly stupid.

So, instead of offering a hatchback Si. tuned to 205 HP/ 192 lb-ft, they decide to tune the Sport/Touring engine to a measly 6hp / 10 lb-ft (180/177) over the LX model and force owners to pay 20% more for gas. I love when he points out that you get bigger wheels and sport bits like that has anything to do with the ENGINE.

You could probably achieve the same results with a ECU re-reflash on the LX model if not better.
Feb 19, 2017
511 posts
351 upvotes
If you can stomach the aggressive styling of the hatchback, that's the one I'd go for. Best price for a Civic turbo, plus all the benefits of a hatchback. The new Civics are great, but the one thing I really don't like about them is the cloth fabric with the white contrast stripe. It's cheap and doesn't look good IMO. I'd echo the idea of going for seat covers.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8567 upvotes
GTHA
georgecantstandya wrote: So, instead of offering a hatchback Si. tuned to 205 HP/ 192 lb-ft, they decide to tune the Sport/Touring engine to a measly 6hp / 10 lb-ft (180/177) over the LX model and force owners to pay 20% more for gas. I love when he points out that you get bigger wheels and sport bits like that has anything to do with the ENGINE.
There is no hatchback SI because the hatchback was handled by a Japanese team and they focused on the Type R

Why the 2018 Honda Civic Si only makes 205 horsepower
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/12/why- ... orsepower/

- going with a high-output 1.5-liter engine was a matter of affordability and which team developed the car
- the Si, a North American car, was developed by the American Honda team with the standard sedan and coupe, both of which are primarily designed for the US.
- the Japanese team handled the hatchback and Type R, and decided from the get-go they would focus on the 2.0-liter turbo engine.
Feb 24, 2018
2 posts
jasira wrote: Hi

We are in the process of purchasing a new family car. We have narrowed down our choice to

1. 2018 Civic Hatchback LX-Honda Sensing invoice cost $22431
2. 2018 Civic Sedan EX-T invoice cost $23740
3. 2018 Civic Sedan Touring invoice cost $25797

From what can I tell, for about $1300 more EX-T sedan has a little bit better mileage, has fog lights, sunroof, remote engine starter, and dual climate

Or pay about $3300 more for all that and leather seat. I will have a car seats in the back row for another 3 - 4 years and not sure if it's worth paying more money for the top trim or just stick with basic hatchback since it does have everything I really wanted. Everything else is nice to have.

Currently we are driving 2003 Accord EX and 2005 Hyundai Elantra GL so any new car is an upgrade from what we currently drive.

With two young kids, which one will be a better fit?

Also, I have found a dealer who is willing to sell the car at cost. Do I still have room to negotiate or just take the offer?

As for the accessories, is there any I should add?

Originally, I was going to email all the dealers nearby with the trim, colour, accessories and trade in and ask for the best on the road pricing. Is that still the best route to take? Or take out the trade in and just negotiate purely on a car and then add trade in at the end?

Thanks for the help.
Interested in the 2018 sedan touring myself. Do you mind sharing the dealership that offered you that pricing? Is it after trading in a car or before it? Also looking to get feedback from 2018 civic touring owners as well on their review of the car.

Thanks!