Automotive

2018 Honda Civic Sedan or Hatchback

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 10:36 pm
Oct 26, 2003
261 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
I went with my daughter to look at a basic 2018 Civic LX 4-dr.

CarCostCanada indicated approximately a $1,000 mark-up on this vehicle and the dealer offered a $1,000 discount on the MSRP.

Of course, they'll receive a factory hold-back on this vehicle, so we (she) signed the lease. Could we have gotten a better deal ($179 bi-weekly, all-in)?
May 12, 2018
2 posts
jasira wrote: Hi

We are in the process of purchasing a new family car. We have narrowed down our choice to

1. 2018 Civic Hatchback LX-Honda Sensing invoice cost $22431
2. 2018 Civic Sedan EX-T invoice cost $23740
3. 2018 Civic Sedan Touring invoice cost $25797

From what can I tell, for about $1300 more EX-T sedan has a little bit better mileage, has fog lights, sunroof, remote engine starter, and dual climate

Or pay about $3300 more for all that and leather seat. I will have a car seats in the back row for another 3 - 4 years and not sure if it's worth paying more money for the top trim or just stick with basic hatchback since it does have everything I really wanted. Everything else is nice to have.

Currently we are driving 2003 Accord EX and 2005 Hyundai Elantra GL so any new car is an upgrade from what we currently drive.

With two young kids, which one will be a better fit?

Also, I have found a dealer who is willing to sell the car at cost. Do I still have room to negotiate or just take the offer?

As for the accessories, is there any I should add?

Originally, I was going to email all the dealers nearby with the trim, colour, accessories and trade in and ask for the best on the road pricing. Is that still the best route to take? Or take out the trade in and just negotiate purely on a car and then add trade in at the end?

Thanks for the help.
I am on the same boat as you, and wonder which dealership did you end up going to? and which sales rep helped with the purchase? Did you lease the car or cash buy?
Thank you
Oct 10, 2005
330 posts
20 upvotes
Many people have contacted me to ask which dealer I ended up with so here is my answer.

I had two dealers that were willing to give me the car for the price I wanted.

One was in downtown Honda and the other was parkway Honda.

I ended up with parkway Honda because it was closest to home but they were more reluctant to give me the car at 30k.

They only did it because I was about to walk out the door to go to downtown honda.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
jasira wrote: Many people have contacted me to ask which dealer I ended up with so here is my answer.

I had two dealers that were willing to give me the car for the price I wanted.

One was in downtown Honda and the other was parkway Honda.

I ended up with parkway Honda because it was closest to home but they were more reluctant to give me the car at 30k.

They only did it because I was about to walk out the door to go to downtown honda.
So essentially you got $3000 discount?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Banned
May 2, 2018
15 posts
1 upvote
Both cars have their own features and limitations but I think Honda Civic Sedan looks better choice for family car. Mileage is the one thing that make it most preferred choice for family car.
Fastest Wireless Car Charger with Qi Capabilities for Cell Phones
Jun 13, 2018
1 posts
What would be the invoice Price for:

2018 Honda Civic Sedan LX
2018 Honda Civic Sedan SE

Thank you
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2483 posts
284 upvotes
Also looking for potentially getting a civic, they do seem kinda pricey though compared to a used mazda3 or cruze or corolla (these car's can be had for $10K less). When you guys are emailing dealerships for a quote, is it just the generic dealership email you use? Or is there a email list out there that go straight to the managers?
Jun 25, 2012
125 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
nareshk326 wrote: What would be the invoice Price for:

2018 Honda Civic Sedan LX
2018 Honda Civic Sedan SE

Thank you
Per Unhaggle:
LE invoice = $19626
SE invoice = $21028

Good luck!
Jun 25, 2012
125 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Any other Civic owners care to share any issues / problems with their vehicle? I test drove the SE and enjoyed the feel - a bit more peppy that my 13' Accord Sport. And very roomy too. Just don't know why it doesn't have the strongest Consumer Reports ratings...
Nov 15, 2017
846 posts
643 upvotes
raptors88 wrote: Any other Civic owners care to share any issues / problems with their vehicle? I test drove the SE and enjoyed the feel - a bit more peppy that my 13' Accord Sport. And very roomy too. Just don't know why it doesn't have the strongest Consumer Reports ratings...
Head unit was buggy when it came out in 2016, but new models have been patched. If you look closely, Consumer Reports rated the 10th Gen Civic rather poorly because of the infotainment system. It can get laggy, and people really hate the lack of volume knob.
Last edited by BBZero on Jul 30th, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 6, 2016
318 posts
218 upvotes
BBZero wrote: Consumer Reports rated the 10th Gen Civic rather poorly because of the infotainment system. It can get laggy, and people really hate the lack of volume knob.
This. While some people can live without the knob, I personally can't. It was a deal breaker for me.
May 24, 2008
304 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga
Have the 10th gen Si for a year now, overall very happy with it, very good on gas, decent acceleration and very good handling, decent aftermarket support if you like modding. Yes, the infotainment unit is a bit laggy, lack of volume knob was very hard to get used to at the beginning, but now it doesnt bother me at all.
Sep 23, 2018
4 posts
Lakeshore Honda
If its cost? I would take it. There really aren't any accessories that you can add. When they add an accessory for "free" it comes out of the profits of the vehicle... Which there are none. Most likely they are taking a loss already after having to pay the sales man.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1160 posts
19 upvotes
Barrie
I was looking at the hatch but the premium fuel and the increase in price turned me off. I'm now awaiting arrival of my sedan touring.