Automotive

2018 Honda destroyed underneath

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2020 11:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4257 posts
2796 upvotes

2018 Honda destroyed underneath

Brother in law bought the Honda new and after driving through 2 winters the underneath is destroyed by rust. He didn't fall for the stealership 2K undercoating package but now he regrets it. Can his Honda be saved from rust cancer or should he just prolong the inevitable?
Images
  • 20201105_143633.jpg
  • 20201105_143621.jpg
  • 20201105_143610.jpg
  • 20201105_143602.jpg
  • 20201105_143552.jpg
  • 20201105_143455.jpg
  • 20201105_143436.jpg
  • 20201105_143426.jpg
  • 20201105_143409.jpg
  • 20201105_143405.jpg
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5083 posts
6663 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My 10year old beater doesn't look nearly as rusty - this isn't about the undercoating, it's about basic maintenance, tell brother to get a car wash pass, and go get the salt rinsed out regularly.

Does your brother park in a heated garage? That could be a factor too.
Member
Oct 25, 2020
427 posts
357 upvotes
Meh most of that is subframe, or other bolt on stamped steel. Nothing to worry about.

I would consider crown or other oil based coatings, just be careful they don't spray the rubber bushings as it'll cause them to swell.

Or a wash pass and wash the underbody regularly. They're $200 for 90 days.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37050 posts
23022 upvotes
Center of Universe
All I see is surface corrosion...
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3814 posts
3841 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
A) Thats just surface rust.
B) Any car driven in Canadian winters where they use salt on the roads will get surface rust.
C) If you get the yearly oil spray from krown/etc it'll help slow it down significantly, but eventually all winter DD vehicles in the salt belt will rust. No idea what the 2k package from the dealership would have been, but the oil coatings are relatively cheap. I'm personally not convinced, but many are.
Sr. Member
Dec 25, 2006
646 posts
584 upvotes
Winnipeg
Drama much???? :facepalm:
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2550 posts
1252 upvotes
Hometown
I think in the past few winters we have had freeze then thaw periods that mean the salt gets to eat metal for a few days, many times during a winter. Then it gets cold again usually with a precipitation event and we get a dump of snow or the possibility of ice forming overnight and they dump more salt.

It has been virtually impossible to time hitting the car wash just before the temps go up....

So you get what your photos show. It is not terminal or even that serious at this point. It might however mean the poor person doing suspension or brake work in a couple of years will have to earn their money. As those fasteners are not going to get any easier to take apart. But that is what BIG NASTY is for.

Sr. Member
Feb 5, 2007
771 posts
349 upvotes
Mississauga
pretty sure washing it throughly is the best protection of rust
Member
Dec 1, 2014
256 posts
265 upvotes
Burlington, ON
If parking indoors or even some semi open garages with heating, it can accelerate rusting. Also, parking on grass, dirt, and even pebble stone can create moisture underneath.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
1595 posts
2761 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Looks like pretty standard surface rust on calipers, control arms, etc. Typical for any Canadian car driven in the winter where it's salted. My 2017 civic pretty much has the same level of "rust". But as long as it's not rusting away at the actual body (Rear fenders, rocker panels, pinch welds, etc) it'll be fine. Dealership rustproofing wouldn't have prevented this.
Member
Oct 16, 2019
292 posts
249 upvotes
You don't k ow what destroyed mean. I thought the Honda was driven through rough stone roads and wreck the undercarriage.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2632 posts
345 upvotes
Mississauga
So....I want to ask, if ppl live in a condo building, parking underground should accerlate the rust too right?
Cuz underground parking it's always warmer

My civic is rusty, and I did some krown on it after many years, hopefully it slow down the process
Member
Oct 25, 2020
427 posts
357 upvotes
Leungss wrote: You don't k ow what destroyed mean. I thought the Honda was driven through rough stone roads and wreck the undercarriage.
Clearly not. I had a block of wood holding the seat in place on my 96 integra because the floor boards rotted out due to water leakage from the sunroof.


90s Japanese cars were not made to handle the road salt we used over here..
Sr. Member
Jun 13, 2009
984 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: Brother in law bought the Honda new and after driving through 2 winters the underneath is destroyed by rust. He didn't fall for the stealership 2K undercoating package but now he regrets it. Can his Honda be saved from rust cancer or should he just prolong the inevitable?
I don't see any eaten metal or cracking. As others have said, this is all normal looking surface rust. The car is fine. Your brother in law has nothing to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
5286 posts
2894 upvotes
Mostly "surface rust" like other people said.

However, the OP has a point. Some of this rust shouldn't be there at all.

For example, look at those bolts:

2018-honda-destroyed-underneath-2416136/#&gid=1&pid=5

Honda knew those bolts are going to be exposed, yet they don't have any weather-resistant finish... those bolts are so rusted now, that they are damaging the finish in the other metal part.

Or the spare wheel. My 2009 Highlander had a exposed spare wheel just like that, after 2 years it didn't look like that. I believe the first generation Highlander, and the new ones, have a plastic cover protecting the spare wheel.

Or look at the wheel calipers. Truly some of the most horrible rust, if this happened after only 2 years.


The point is also the MSRP. Considering the money they are asking for cars nowadays, I would hope they put some engineering into them...
______________________________
I'm not Ukrainian but this is my new slogan - "Russian warship, go f*ck yourself"
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5083 posts
6663 upvotes
Toronto, ON
motomondo wrote: Mostly "surface rust" like other people said.

However, the OP has a point. Some of this rust shouldn't be there at all.

For example, look at those bolts:

2018-honda-destroyed-underneath-2416136/#&gid=1&pid=5

Honda knew those bolts are going to be exposed, yet they don't have any weather-resistant finish... those bolts are so rusted now, that they are damaging the finish in the other metal part.

Or the spare wheel. My 2009 Highlander had a exposed spare wheel just like that, after 2 years it didn't look like that. I believe the first generation Highlander, and the new ones, have a plastic cover protecting the spare wheel.

Or look at the wheel calipers. Truly some of the most horrible rust, if this happened after only 2 years.


The point is also the MSRP. Considering the money they are asking for cars nowadays, I would hope they put some engineering into them...
Exactly... surface rust isn't a problem, but having that much within 2 years is bad. This isn't a 2000's Mazda...
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1727 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I'll give your brother in law 10 grand cash for his rusted out destroyed CR-V.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12195 posts
3398 upvotes
Pure drama. Tell bro to lakesus the honda so he can buy new one.

Top