2018 Subaru Forester 2.0XT - how much did you pay? how to negotiate

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 3:06 pm
Sep 22, 2015
105 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON

2018 Subaru Forester 2.0XT - how much did you pay? how to negotiate

I'm looking at buying the 2018 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring trim (without eye sight option). Has anyone purchased this vehicle? Mind sharing how much you paid?

Any good negotiation tactics? I'm a novice at buying cars.

Thanks
10 replies
Feb 7, 2008
966 posts
358 upvotes
Okanagan
AFAIK Subaru dealers are 'famous' for hard to deal with. I've purchased Forester couple of years ago and the salesman told me they don't have to lower the price because they are not bleeding like big 3. Got some off but that's all.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6697 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Try thru unhaggle or apa [think they sell at like 900 above invoice] BUT could possibly do better on your own with email blast... search threads.

Keep in mind that there were rumours on forester forums that no XT for redesigned 2019 model so could hamper negotiations on 2018 model. It's about 10% of their sales so understand logic but it's one of the sportiest compact/mid size suv so hope rumours wrong.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Sep 23, 2017
56 posts
54 upvotes
where are you OP?
I dont think an email blast works in the GTA.
APA and other brokers use the manager, John I think, from Scarboro Subaru.
So you can just find out Apa's price and get a couple off quotes from brokers, and then go to John and ask for $500 off of the lowest.
Mar 20, 2006
284 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
When I bought my xt years ago. When I tried to negotiate I was told that the car would only be sold at msrp, if I wanted it, great, but if I didn't, no skin off their backs.

That was in Whitehorse, so that may have been some of the issue, but there was zero negotiation.
Nov 17, 2017
42 posts
12 upvotes
According to Unhaggle, the dealer has about $2,500 difference between MSRP + Mandatory fees and their cost + Mandatory fees.

Before HST, your MSRP + mandatory fees = $36,041.00.

Pick a number somewhere in between that and $33,541.00 that you are willing to pay. Lets say $34,500.00, tell your sales person that you will buy the car right now for $33,500.00 and work your way from there.

One other thing, going to the dealer near the end of the month and buying a car they have on the lot will increase your chances of getting a good deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
3749 posts
6586 upvotes
Calgary
SilverBane[GL] wrote: When I bought my xt years ago. When I tried to negotiate I was told that the car would only be sold at msrp, if I wanted it, great, but if I didn't, no skin off their backs.

That was in Whitehorse, so that may have been some of the issue, but there was zero negotiation.
I was a bit more lucky and managed to get $800 off & free windows tinting on a 2006 Forester XT back in the day. That took hours and probably the most stressful negotiation that I don't care to go through again. Subaru is in a good position these days. If you don't want to pay asking price, there are plenty of others that will.
Apr 7, 2012
1 posts
i just bought a forester 2017 xt limited with eye sight demo 9000km at 45k tax in with 0.5%, loved that suv
Jul 11, 2018
1 posts
I purchase the third model touring xt.
My discount is 1200 plus carstarter. I guess I got a pretty good deal.
Oct 31, 2006
119 posts
16 upvotes
Not sure if you're doing cash/lease/finance, but I managed to get $2000 off msrp and 0.5% on a 39 month lease on a 2018 xt touring with eyesight just last month. If you're doing cash I believe you should be able to get a larger discount as there's a $2000 manufacturer rebate at the moment.
Theres the Right way and theres the Wong way