• Jul 19th, 2020 7:25 am
[OP]
May 8, 2014
194 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON

2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen - Transmission Noise

Hello all,

We purchased our wagon in December 2018 and absolutely love it.

I work from home, so we put very few kilometres on it - I want to estimate about 6,500.

I was blown away by the quietness of the cabin; I can't say when I started to notice what appears to be a noisy transmission.

I'm really not a car guy, so this may be obvious, but the transmission is loudest right before it changes gears. What stood out to me is that the transmission noise easily exceeded any engine noise - except if I'm in the 4-5k tachometer range. Is this normal?

It's under warranty, and it's already been recalled for the leaky sunroof issue, so it's inevitable that I'll take it to the dealership. I guess I just want to know if this is something I should be bringing to their attention.

Thanks.
A semi-competent prole, having worked in mortgages at a "Big Bank" for a day or two.
36 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not familiar with vw trans but indeed, bring it to the dealers attention and have it documented. Even if it is something that is 'normal' it's always good to have your concern documented by the SA and therefore will be in the system so if the trans shits the bed, you told em.

Love your car. Looked at the sport and all track. Wish they had the golf r powertrain.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19460 posts
22585 upvotes
GTA
You shouldn't hear the transmission at all, ever. Are you sure that's what you're hearing? Either way, something is going wrong so you should take it to the dealer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
May 8, 2014
194 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: You shouldn't hear the transmission at all, ever. Are you sure that's what you're hearing? Either way, something is going wrong so you should take it to the dealer.
As I've said, I'm really not a car guy, but I'm definitely attuned to (possible) transmission noise - this is a replacement for our 2012 Nissan Rogue, which absolutely had the transmission take the piss.

The sound I'm hearing is a "light whining" sound, that begins slowly and crescendos prior to a gear-change (I know it's a gear change because I've paid attention to the speeds when the gear shifts e.g. approximately 2nd into 3rd @ 30km/h, 3rd into 4th @ 40km/h). I'm not sure what it would be if not the transmission.
I'm not familiar with vw trans but indeed, bring it to the dealers attention and have it documented. Even if it is something that is 'normal' it's always good to have your concern documented by the SA and therefore will be in the system so if the trans shits the bed, you told em.

Love your car. Looked at the sport and all track. Wish they had the golf r powertrain.
Someone on one of my dads' groups recommended the wagon after I had narrowed down the search to the CR-V and Rav-4. Aboslutely zero regrets. We got way more value with the wagon, and all the safety features we wanted. It might sound weak, but the 140HP turbo is all I need.

I'll be sure to bring it to the dealer's attention.
A semi-competent prole, having worked in mortgages at a "Big Bank" for a day or two.
[OP]
May 8, 2014
194 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: You shouldn't hear the transmission at all, ever. Are you sure that's what you're hearing? Either way, something is going wrong so you should take it to the dealer.
Oh, so, occasionally, I'll use the tiptronic (when no one else is in the car), which is fun for about 5 minutes; whatever "whining" I'm hearing is definitely more pronounced when I do a late-change.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5732 posts
4204 upvotes
LaLaLand
uberbaumer wrote: Oh, so, occasionally, I'll use the tiptronic (when no one else is in the car), which is fun for about 5 minutes; whatever "whining" I'm hearing is definitely more pronounced when I do a late-change.
In this case, it is probably the motor revving. It could be how you drive. In regular drive mode, if you accelerate quickly, the transmission will change gears at a higher rpm (4k or higher as you specified). If you press on the gas pedal gently, it will change at a lower RPM (~3k). If you have a launch or sport mode, it will shift gears at higher RPM also. The transmission learns how you drive and adjusts for that. If you are always launching from zero, it may learn that and always shift at higher RPM. The transmission can be reset as to when it changes gears. You can do this yourself - google it for your car. The dealer can do this also. You should definitely let the dealer know regardless.

If it is not that, is could be the turbo making the noise. I'm assuming you have the 1.8L + turbo in that car.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2401 posts
1978 upvotes
Montreal
I don't hear the turbo scream when I rev but I do hear the tiny blow-off valve Winking Face.

Does OP have the stick or automatic ?

My Alltrack is an 2018 and going back to the dealer for the 5th time with pano leak. Thank God my lease is up in 10 months... Good luck with yours !
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15103 upvotes
koffey wrote: Love your car. Looked at the sport and all track. Wish they had the golf r powertrain.
Just get an Alltrack, put on an IS38, you're pretty darn close (and compared to a stock/no-tune .:R, it'll be more powerful). There actually is an .:R wagon, we just don't get it here. Heck you can't get a sunroof on .:R here either.

Anyway OP what kind of noise is this, like a straight-cut gear type noise (reverse gear noise) or something different? Is this a 1.4L auto, or a 1.8L DSG? You said "when it shifts" so I assume it's not a clutch-pedal manual.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
I actually have the 2019 1.8t with dsg as a loaner. Car is incredible and very quick. I haven't noticed any transmission sound. But definitely engine is a bit louder and more pronounced on higher gear changes. I also found the road noise to be a lot higher than my current gen rogue.

Overall beautiful car. I wish my wife would compromise on getting a wagon again...
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22304 posts
2957 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Just get an Alltrack, put on an IS38, you're pretty darn close (and compared to a stock/no-tune .:R, it'll be more powerful). There actually is an .:R wagon, we just don't get it here. Heck you can't get a sunroof on .:R here either.
Leaking sunroofs ......
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13004 posts
3996 upvotes
Sounds like the engine rev more than the gearbox. The engine nor the transmission make much noises.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2401 posts
1978 upvotes
Montreal
masarwar wrote: I actually have the 2019 1.8t with dsg as a loaner. Car is incredible and very quick. I haven't noticed any transmission sound. But definitely engine is a bit louder and more pronounced on higher gear changes. I also found the road noise to be a lot higher than my current gen rogue.

Overall beautiful car. I wish my wife would compromise on getting a wagon again...
Tires make a difference. Your Rogue tires are probably why it's quiter.

On my 18s they don't seem to be loud. If I put my winter tires they are !
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15103 upvotes
masarwar wrote: I actually have the 2019 1.8t with dsg as a loaner. Car is incredible and very quick. I haven't noticed any transmission sound. But definitely engine is a bit louder and more pronounced on higher gear changes. I also found the road noise to be a lot higher than my current gen rogue.

The engine noise is fake--brought to you by "Soundaktor" lol. In previous gen (PQ35) cars some like GTI used a silly "noise pipe" in the intake tract to actually make more engine noise (a lot of ppl remove that nonsense); but in more modern (MQB) cars, they use soundaktor which plays engine noise through the radio. This can be disabled as well, if you have VCDS, OBDEleven, etc. to do so.

I mean yes the engine still makes noise but not as much noise as you get with soundaktor enabled.

Road noise is probably more down to tyres, as mentioned.

Going back to OP though, perhaps he could make a recording?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4113 posts
4317 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Hard to remote diagnose noise but if dealership brushes you off make sure to have one of them take a ride with you so you can point out exactly the noise you want them to hear. 99/100 a tech will say they couldn't hear the noise, any time I've had a problem like that I've always had the best results when I recreate the noise for them and show them the exact process to trigger it. They might be reluctant because of COVID but keep it in mind.
george__ wrote: Leaking sunroofs ......
The R not having a sunroof was actually a huge plus in my books. Every sunroof car my parents have owned (across multiple brands) has leaks or had issues at some point in its life.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
2018 sportwagen was DSG I thought?
Oct 30, 2007
183 posts
147 upvotes
Vaughan
bhrm wrote: 2018 sportwagen was DSG I thought?
Only with the 4motion, this motor get the 1.8T with DSG or 6 speed manual.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
luigino30 wrote: Only with the 4motion, this motor get the 1.8T with DSG or 6 speed manual.
Ahh that's right.

I did test drive the 4motion.

OP - try doing your own 'hard reset'? Not sure if it's still a VW thing but unplugging your battery and plugging it back in refreshes settings etc. If not you'll just trip the CEL.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
elpaso wrote: Tires make a difference. Your Rogue tires are probably why it's quiter.

On my 18s they don't seem to be loud. If I put my winter tires they are !
Interesting. that Could be it.

Do you also get jitters when taking off ? like very little slight jitter from a stop light when you start rolling. Weird quirks lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)