2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen - Transmission Noise

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 7:25 am
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Ecsta wrote: Hard to remote diagnose noise but if dealership brushes you off make sure to have one of them take a ride with you so you can point out exactly the noise you want them to hear. 99/100 a tech will say they couldn't hear the noise, any time I've had a problem like that I've always had the best results when I recreate the noise for them and show them the exact process to trigger it. They might be reluctant because of COVID but keep it in mind.
The R not having a sunroof was actually a huge plus in my books. Every sunroof car my parents have owned (across multiple brands) has leaks or had issues at some point in its life.
Yea, I would never want a sunroof in a sporty car. A big heavy lump way up high doesn't help handling. Not to mention reliability issues with every sunroof eventually.
masarwar wrote: Interesting. that Could be it.

Do you also get jitters when taking off ? like very little slight jitter from a stop light when you start rolling. Weird quirks lol.
It wouldn't be the case for the OP, as his problem increases with engine speed, not road speed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
masarwar wrote: Interesting. that Could be it.

Do you also get jitters when taking off ? like very little slight jitter from a stop light when you start rolling. Weird quirks lol.
If you have DSG yes sometimes I do. Keep in mind that the DSG is like a manuel geared has an automatic.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
If it is 1.8 TSI with DSG, then check for diagnosis. DSG is generally very vulnerable whereas Aisin transmission holds the torque well. Check for fluid as it is time to change the fluid as recommended on interval.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Hard to remote diagnose noise but if dealership brushes you off make sure to have one of them take a ride with you so you can point out exactly the noise you want them to hear. 99/100 a tech will say they couldn't hear the noise, any time I've had a problem like that I've always had the best results when I recreate the noise for them and show them the exact process to trigger it. They might be reluctant because of COVID but keep it in mind.
The R not having a sunroof was actually a huge plus in my books. Every sunroof car my parents have owned (across multiple brands) has leaks or had issues at some point in its life.
Meh, in this case it has some relevancy as it seems there is a leak issue with these particular cars/platform. However most modern sunroofs don't leak and if they do a common source of the problem is merely a blocked or restricted drain tube.

My dad used to say the same, "never buy a car with a sunroof, they always leak!" I mean I'm sure that was an issue in the 70s and 80s, even in the 90s but after that it's not really a huge deal. You might as well say [insert any given car part/features] will fail over time, because they're machines and yes they do fail. Guess what happens when your alternator fails? You fix it. So just do the same if a roof ever leaks. As with anything if the cost to repair outweighs the value of the vehicle or what you are willing to spend then it might be time to get a new car. I doubt sunroof leaks are a major cause of people ditching cars though.

The roof can leak on your house too, and it probably don't even have a glass panel on it lol. Are you gonna not buy a house because, hey, "all home roofs are known to leak after some years"?

By all means buy what you want but personally I probably won't buy a daily driver w/o a roof, if the car has the option. If it doesn't well I better really like the car otherwise.
MalikBrother wrote: If it is 1.8 TSI with DSG, then check for diagnosis. DSG is generally very vulnerable whereas Aisin transmission holds the torque well. Check for fluid as it is time to change the fluid as recommended on interval.
Not sure what you're on about there, the 7spd DSG in these vehicles is rated for around 310lb*ft of torque and will actually easily handle a good bit more than that. In fact the [wet-clutch] DSG options in the transverse cars has always been the top-torque-handling transmission offered--higher than the auto, higher than the clutch-pedal manual. People that just put a PQ35 (Mk5/Mk6) car are often worried about clutch slip and having to upgrade the clutch at a minimum. That's not a concern at all with the DSG. Now the dry-clutch versions they used on the "low output" engines is a different story, but we never got that transmission here (Can/US) so not really relevant.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote: Meh, in this case it has some relevancy as it seems there is a leak issue with these particular cars/platform. However most modern sunroofs don't leak and if they do a common source of the problem is merely a blocked or restricted drain tube.

My dad used to say the same, "never buy a car with a sunroof, they always leak!" I mean I'm sure that was an issue in the 70s and 80s, even in the 90s but after that it's not really a huge deal. You might as well say [insert any given car part/features] will fail over time, because they're machines and yes they do fail. Guess what happens when your alternator fails? You fix it. So just do the same if a roof ever leaks. As with anything if the cost to repair outweighs the value of the vehicle or what you are willing to spend then it might be time to get a new car. I doubt sunroof leaks are a major cause of people ditching cars though.

The roof can leak on your house too, and it probably don't even have a glass panel on it lol. Are you gonna not buy a house because, hey, "all home roofs are known to leak after some years"?

By all means buy what you want but personally I probably won't buy a daily driver w/o a roof, if the car has the option. If it doesn't well I better really like the car otherwise
To be fair a car with no sun/moon roof will never leak from a hole that isn't there, so your comparisons don't really work. It adds weight to the top of the car, reduces structural rigidity (in some vehicles) and it also reduces headroom (if you're tall every inch matters). It's not just "fixing it" when they leak or clog, because it can cause a lot of damage to the interior, mold, and generally is time consuming to fix. Hell on the Golf's if you're unlucky enough they basically can't fix it, and just keep patching the cracks until you're outside of warranty.

To be fair I totally get having it and have a few friends who won't buy a car without one. The problem (and the huge annoyance) is if you DONT want one, its much harder to find a top trim level that doesn't shove it down your throat. The last car my family bought they had to get one, because it was bundled with heated seats.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: To be fair a car with no sun/moon roof will never leak from a hole that isn't there, so your comparisons don't really work. It adds weight to the top of the car, reduces structural rigidity (in some vehicles) and it also reduces headroom (if you're tall every inch matters).
Those points are all valid but have nearly nothing to do with the "all will eventually leak" bit. Also the vast majority of people don't care about any of that and even those that do take it into consideration (like myself) are well willing to concede that "beacuse racecar" is an internet meme and not a way of actual life. I'll take the sunroof over getting a few tenths better performance on the track which I never go to lol.

I mean let's be real, if people cared about their cars actually being good in these kind of respects, then no one would have bought shitbox Corollas from 2007 to 2018, an 11 year period of which Toyblowta sold millions upon millions of that flat out turd and sorry excuse for a vehicle. Believe me a roof adding a few pounds and some "structural rigidity loss" on an actually good-to-begin with car is nowhere even in the same realm as a trashbox that takes more distance to stop than a pickup truck that weighs twice what it does and is much larger. Yet again people bought that crap by the millions, and I think that can be equipped with a sunroof too, making it even worse than horse manure :lol:
Ecsta wrote: It's not just "fixing it" when they leak or clog, because it can cause a lot of damage to the interior, mold, and generally is time consuming to fix.
That's really only if you find out about it leaking the day after an insanely heavy rainstorm or something. Otherwise you'll probably realise much earlier on something is leaking and have the chance to fix the problem. This can also be an issue with leaks from doors/windows, firewalls, trunks/hatches, etc.
Ecsta wrote: Hell on the Golf's if you're unlucky enough they basically can't fix it, and just keep patching the cracks until you're outside of warranty.
In this case it's clear it's some bit of a problem, which means it is probably better to have one without the roof than with. However if that wasn't an issue I'd still like to have an .:R with the roof because again these things like "structural rigidity" and "extra weight" are not of concern in the real world for most people. The only reason we don't get the roof here, btw is because they didn't want to crash test more cars, so I guess we have to be thankful we got it at all.
Ecsta wrote: To be fair I totally get having it and have a few friends who won't buy a car without one. The problem (and the huge annoyance) is if you DONT want one, its much harder to find a top trim level that doesn't shove it down your throat. The last car my family bought they had to get one, because it was bundled with heated seats.
Hmm, well there's something I admittedly didn't think of. I guess it goes along with a lot of other vehicle "packages" though, you often have to pay for some things you not only don't want to but don't even want to begin with.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
"an expensive whine from the gearbox region"!
May 8, 2014
198 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the replies and input, everyone.

I'm going to try to record the sound.

Yes, I have the 1.8L turbo, non DSG (DSG is the AWD, right?)

Here's my question: when, even under the worst circumstances, would one hear the transmission? Whatever whining I'm hearing, it's definitely comensurate and consistent with the engine rev (yes, they are two separate sounds, but perhaps I'm hearing the same sound via two channels). Whatever I'm hearing crescendos with the engine rev, and immediately dies down on a gear change; the sound I'm hearing is lockstep with the engine rev as it approaches a gear change.

If there was a faulty transmission, would I hear it at a particular point?

Sorry I can't use appropriate terminology.

Next time I'm in the car, I'll make a recording.

Oh, for fun: I read about the leaky sunroof problem prior to buying the car. I mentioned it to the salesperson; he claimed he'd never heard of such a preposterous notion. Hilariously, I found out later from the person who was handling the final paperwork that, apparently, it was this dude's VERY FIRST SALE, and she wondered how the experience was. Uh, he was a total dick, but, whatever. Had I known, I really would have stuck it to him on the nearly-year-old 2018 wagon sitting in his lot.

...he totally knew about the leaky sunroofs.
More billionaires on submersibles, please!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
MalikBrother wrote: If it is 1.8 TSI with DSG, then check for diagnosis. DSG is generally very vulnerable whereas Aisin transmission holds the torque well. Check for fluid as it is time to change the fluid as recommended on interval.
DSG > Aisin every day of the week. I have a feeling this isn't transmission noise at all.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
ES_Revenge wrote: Meh, in this case it has some relevancy as it seems there is a leak issue with these particular cars/platform. However most modern sunroofs don't leak and if they do a common source of the problem is merely a blocked or restricted drain tube.

By all means buy what you want but personally I probably won't buy a daily driver w/o a roof, if the car has the option. If it doesn't well I better really like the car otherwise.

Not sure what you're on about there, the 7spd DSG in these vehicles is rated for around 310lb*ft of torque and will actually easily handle a good bit more than that. In fact the [wet-clutch] DSG options in the transverse cars has always been the top-torque-handling transmission offered--higher than the auto, higher than the clutch-pedal manual. People that just put a PQ35 (Mk5/Mk6) car are often worried about clutch slip and having to upgrade the clutch at a minimum. That's not a concern at all with the DSG. Now the dry-clutch versions they used on the "low output" engines is a different story, but we never got that transmission here (Can/US) so not really relevant.
Have you seen long lasting dsg that can hold torque? Even if it does, it is vulnerable and not reliable as Aisin transmission because dsg always requires change of fluid every 30-40k interval unlike Aisin transmission that is generally set for lifetime and often used for heavy towing.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
mxthor3 wrote: DSG > Aisin every day of the week. I have a feeling this isn't transmission noise at all.
Fun wise; sure but durable wise; Aisin transmission anytime and least maintenance of all while set for lifetime.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
MalikBrother wrote: Have you seen long lasting dsg that can hold torque? Even if it does, it is vulnerable and not reliable as Aisin transmission because dsg always requires change of fluid every 30-40k interval unlike Aisin transmission that is generally set for lifetime and often used for heavy towing.
Uh yeah, everyone that has a tune, a K04, an IS38, etc. on their car, which is like tens of thousands perhaps?

Speaking of MQB cars with the 7spd:
1.8T - stock = ~185lb*ft; tuned = ~270lb*ft; IS38 = ~330lb*ft
2.0T - stock = ~260lb*ft; tuned = ~350lb*ft; IS38 = ~380lb*ft
Give or take ~15lb*ft depending on the tuning company; also a tune w/downpipe will be somewhere in between the stg 1 and IS38 #s. People put similar though slightly less power on older cars with the 6spd DQ250 and K04, etc. and run for years and no problems with the transmission and that gearbox is rated for less torque. Going past 400lb*ft then you may have to upgrade the clutchpacks but the 6spd manual will barely take a stg 1 tune without the clutch starting to slip--granted that's more a clutch problem but still gearbox not designed for these kinds of power while the DSGs handle it pretty well. Some people also get a tune for their DSG but it's not even necessary.

Not to say no one has had a gearbox problem but that's just the same as there are people with completely stock cars that have had issues too. And we can't forget the 2007-2011 Mechatronics debacle, the 2009-2011 temp sensor business, but that's not about gearbox torque capability it's more about control units and electronics.

Again not sure what you're on about, everyone that's tuned their cars, put bigger turbos, the tuning companies, etc. they all know the DSGs handle more torque than any other VAG transverse gearbox option. You're just making up stories here I think.

Yes you do have to change the fluid. But LOL @ lifetime fluids, they aren't lifetime, especially not if you use them for towing. The fact that the DSG is equipped on most cars that have the higher output transverse engines, should tell the story. Tiguan was the primary exception but pretty sure it's automatic was not the same as in the smaller cars either.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
uberbaumer wrote: Yes, I have the 1.8L turbo, non DSG (DSG is the AWD, right?)
You are correct.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
MalikBrother wrote: Fun wise; sure but durable wise; Aisin transmission anytime and least maintenance of all while set for lifetime.
If you don't like following maintenance intervals then the Aisin for sure, lol. It's not like the DSG costs you an arm and a leg maintenance wise anyhow. Easy to DIY every 40k.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
uberbaumer wrote: ....
Here's my question: when, even under the worst circumstances, would one hear the transmission? Whatever whining I'm hearing, it's definitely comensurate and consistent with the engine rev (yes, they are two separate sounds, but perhaps I'm hearing the same sound via two channels). Whatever I'm hearing crescendos with the engine rev, and immediately dies down on a gear change; the sound I'm hearing is lockstep with the engine rev as it approaches a gear change....
There are many sources of "whines" in a car. In my experience, it is rarely the transmission. Even with manual transmission, noises from that area are usually clutch related rather than the transmission itself. Automatic transmission issues are more likely to show up as slow gear changes or slippage. Have you checked the transmission fluid? Any burning smell (from overheated tranny fluid)?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I'd love a video from a dashcam or similar to figure out what this noise actually is.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
ES_Revenge wrote: Uh yeah, everyone that has a tune, a K04, an IS38, etc. on their car, which is like tens of thousands perhaps?

Speaking of MQB cars with the 7spd:
1.8T - stock = ~185lb*ft; tuned = ~270lb*ft; IS38 = ~330lb*ft
2.0T - stock = ~260lb*ft; tuned = ~350lb*ft; IS38 = ~380lb*ft
Give or take ~15lb*ft depending on the tuning company; also a tune w/downpipe will be somewhere in between the stg 1 and IS38 #s. People put similar though slightly less power on older cars with the 6spd DQ250 and K04, etc. and run for years and no problems with the transmission and that gearbox is rated for less torque. Going past 400lb*ft then you may have to upgrade the clutchpacks but the 6spd manual will barely take a stg 1 tune without the clutch starting to slip--granted that's more a clutch problem but still gearbox not designed for these kinds of power while the DSGs handle it pretty well. Some people also get a tune for their DSG but it's not even necessary.

Not to say no one has had a gearbox problem but that's just the same as there are people with completely stock cars that have had issues too. And we can't forget the 2007-2011 Mechatronics debacle, the 2009-2011 temp sensor business, but that's not about gearbox torque capability it's more about control units and electronics.

Again not sure what you're on about, everyone that's tuned their cars, put bigger turbos, the tuning companies, etc. they all know the DSGs handle more torque than any other VAG transverse gearbox option. You're just making up stories here I think.

Yes you do have to change the fluid. But LOL @ lifetime fluids, they aren't lifetime, especially not if you use them for towing. The fact that the DSG is equipped on most cars that have the higher output transverse engines, should tell the story. Tiguan was the primary exception but pretty sure it's automatic was not the same as in the smaller cars either.
Torque converter Aisin transmission is built for durability and towing capacity. Often used for many pickup trucks. Dsg is often used for race-type mode cars that relies on strong horsepower and torque doesn’t mean it is built for durability. But with dsg and tuning figure, it is fun to drive. There is no denying in that.

If people want durability with lifetime seal of proven transmission, that is generally the choices for most consumers that wants for durability and towing capacity.

Not many use GTI and golf-r for durability and towing capacity since it is more of bachelor race-mode car that wants to have fun.

Most family members prefer smooth, durability and towing capacity which often boils down to Atlas VR6 AWD with 8-speed torque converter that can handle the pressure of prescribed towing capacity like the old school.

Whereas GTI and golf-r are different stories and generally for immature bachelor types who have no need of towing capacity and subscribes to adrenaline experience will need dsg that is exactly as designed to deliver given the quick shifting on dsg.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)