2018 VW Golf 4 door Trendline vs 2018 Honda Civic sedan Se

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2018 10:15 pm
Sep 9, 2013
697 posts
594 upvotes
Ottawa

2018 VW Golf 4 door Trendline vs 2018 Honda Civic sedan Se

Would like to have RFD community’s opinion on the 2 choices as a second car. Golf MSRP is $23,695.00 and the Civic MSRP is $24,272.50. Current owners what was your on the road price?
Thanks in advances.

Update, Also considering a pre certified 2014 or newer 3 door Mini Cooper S. Although very impractical for my needs. YOLO
Last edited by hulk007 on Aug 5th, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
If reliability is important, Civic wins hands down.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
VW Golf is just as reliable if not more, you obviously have no knowledge of the Golf.

Of all VW's, Golfs are the most reliable, not to mention has multiple car of the year wins.

Back on topic, both are great options. Drive both extensively and pick which one you like the best, that said I'd always pick a hatchback over a sedan for versatility.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
You could flip a coin and be happy with either outcome. IMO, the Golf has the nicer interior and feels more refined, while the Civic has more features and a slight reliability advantage. Moving up to the civic hatch gives you the turbo engine and more rear space.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Aug 3, 2010
45 posts
8 upvotes
I am in exact same situation. Owned 3 VW's and 2 honda's. Both are great choices. everything equal golf comes to 396 per month versus civic SE comes to 349 per month (24k, 48 month, zero down).
If money is not a problem or u r paying cash or financing it I'll pick Golf over civic for more refined interior and driving experience.
Golf trendline price comes to 28,216 (all in) versus civic is 27,427 (all in). Its the 750 rebate on civic, better lease rate (0.99%) and slightly better residual values give civic better lease prices.
Feb 19, 2017
541 posts
396 upvotes
I test-drove both of these - and others - before settling on the Civic SE. The Golf was the most fun to drive because of the turbo, but I found it to be really small in person. The Civic is the size of an Accord from a decade ago ( so I have heard). Also the SE has a lot of bells and whistles that the Trendline trim doesn't (the safety tech and others). The Civic is also better on fuel economy - especially in the city, and overall cost of ownership should be lower (maintenance, repairs, fuel, etc.).

At the end of the day I think both are good vehicles - I'd buy the one you like best.

BTW, I got over $1K off the SE MSRP.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
sixer wrote: VW Golf is just as reliable if not more, you obviously have no knowledge of the Golf.

Of all VW's, Golfs are the most reliable, not to mention has multiple car of the year wins.
Do you have any statistics to back up your opinion?
Sep 29, 2015
552 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Civic probably has the reliability advantage. Automatic Civic is a CVT, so if you enjoy driving and you're looking for an automatic, my take is that the golf is the better choice. Drive them both and decide from there; you can't really go wrong with either.
Mar 9, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
My findings lately,, depends on your insurance record/conditions - Civic insurance cost 50% more than Golf :( If you count the monthly payment as Car + Insurance, then you know how to decide...
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
If you want a car that is fun, reliable, modern, hip, and annual award winner, then go for the Golf.

The Civic is just a nice hauler with good reliability. There's nothing else to it.
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
sixer wrote: VW Golf is just as reliable if not more, you obviously have no knowledge of the Golf.
Of all VW's, Golfs are the most reliable
Good thing I do!
Had a Mk7 TSI for a while and really enjoyed the turbo torque + the solid feeling suspension on the highway.

Couple common issues Mk7 owners are reporting
1) Rear Main Seal leaks have continued in Gen 3 of EA888 even within the warranty period, about a 1.5-2k repair out of warranty.
2) PCV system failures often cause oil consumption
3) Creaky front suspension due to failing strut tops
4) Incredibly awful halogen headlights
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
hulk007 wrote: Would like to have RFD community’s opinion on the 2 choices as a second car. Golf MSRP is $23,695.00 and the Civic MSRP is $24,272.50. Current owners what was your on the road price?
Thanks in advances.
Between the 2, I'm going to suggest the Civic.
You'll have a much more safe and relaxing drive with Honda Sensing , especially in traffic.
Adaptive Cruise with Stop and Go is a godsend on the highway especially in those traffic jams.
Automatic Emergency Braking is also super helpful when you look down at GPS or checking your mirrors and traffic suddenly changes ahead.

Of the safety systems that I've tried, Sensing has felt the most refined, while VW's DAP and FCA's systems are the most unrefined/annoying I've used thus far.

The Civic will also be much more reliable (see post #11 I made about my experience owning TSI Golf).
The CVT is a slightly modified version of the 9G Civic CVT which had very few failures.
The K20 is also a proven engine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
A 2019 Corolla Hatchback might be an option to consider as well.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
poleman wrote: If reliability is important, Civic wins hands down.
While probably not applicable to the current Honda Civic, here's a blast from the past Winking Face

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm
Warranty extended to 10 years for cars with engine block cracks.

The leak can allow coolant to drain away, leading to overheating or a total engine failure. Honda alerted known owners back in 2010, but a lot of people probably didn’t get the message, especially second or third owners of the cars.

Kind of like the Subaru head gasket problem, almost a guarantee that the block will go. Just a matter of when, not if.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
dealseaker101 wrote: A 2019 Corolla Hatchback might be an option to consider as well.
Probably the best option for reliability. Honda reliability isn't what it used to be and/but it's taking Honda a long time to lose it.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
dealseaker101 wrote: A 2019 Corolla Hatchback might be an option to consider as well.
I'm not sure if the new hatchback has been improved, but I test drove one this spring prior to buying a Civic.
Some issues I had were:
1. Rear leg room was too small
2. CVT was way too noisy, while the Civic is quiet.
3. It felt small and cramped in the front seat. Definitely a size smaller than the Civic.

Overall a nice looking car and practical for the right person but too small for me.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
poleman wrote: I'm not sure if the new hatchback has been improved, but I test drove one this spring prior to buying a Civic.
The 2019 Corolla Hatchback is actually the next generation on a completely new platform with new drivetrains and suspensions.
Oct 30, 2007
193 posts
170 upvotes
Vaughan
The golf comes with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. If you really dislike it or it is problematic you can always trade it in for a civic later.

i have a 16 Golf Comfortline, i really like the tourque makes it easy to drive in the City. You will yield better fuel economy with the civic if that's a conern. However, as others have said the civic doesn't feel as solid and won't be as quiet as the golf. Some of the issues raised by one of the posters relate more to the 2.0 TSI motor in the GTI. I have 55kms, my only issue was a suspension creak which the dealer took care and has not returned.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3135 posts
1308 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: While probably not applicable to the current Honda Civic, here's a blast from the past Winking Face

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm

Kind of like the Subaru head gasket problem, almost a guarantee that the block will go. Just a matter of when, not if.
Dude do you know that the engine with issue was R18 covering 2006 to 2009?
First of all, the Civic SE that OP is considering uses K20, not only it's not the same engine, it's a totally different engine family.

If you are truly worried about an issue that ended almost a decade ago (unless there is an extension to cover other model years, which I'm not aware of) how about a recall?
Toyota recalls Corolla for engine problem
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/busi ... oyota.html

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)