Computers & Electronics

2019 Amazon Fire TV Stick. What is it?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 5:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19138 posts
5130 upvotes
Toronto

2019 Amazon Fire TV Stick. What is it?

I have a 1st generation Fire TV Stick and it works OK for my 720p TV, but the interface is uber slow.

I was looking on Amazon and they state there is a new 2019 Fire TV Stick (not 4K), but that it is 2nd generation.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-TV-Stick-wit ... 0791Z1G6W/

Is this just the same 2nd gen model from 2016 but with a new remote?

What about the RAM limitation of 1 GB and storage limitation of 8 GB? I'm thinking both are rather limited, as that's the same as I have for my 1st gen.

If so, is it a waste of time to get this, and should I just get the 4K version instead? That one gets 1.5 GB RAM, but is still stuck with 8 GB storage. If they released a 2 GB model with 16 GB storage and faster SoC in 2020, I'd be all over that.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2618 posts
855 upvotes
I have a 1st gen fire stick and i agree, slow as $hit, really crap experience using it. Not to mention, the older devices (I also have a 1st gen FireTV - box) can't get some of the newer apps because they are deemed incompatible by Amazon, yet the apps work ok. i.e. If I use a FireTV4k stick, get the app, sideload it on the older FireTV/Stick, it works. Clearly, none will work in 4K though. Basically same thing apple does with their phones/tablets, even though HW is still fine to use, app store will not let you get the older app for those devices any more - Amazon just disables the device from getting the app...

The 4K fire stick is totally worth it, got it when it was $39, at the price it's a no brainer. The regular one is good too, very snappy. I think now Amazon has adapter where you can get hardwired network on it, but I think you may be also able to add a USB port to get more storage.... I never ran out of storage for the record on my 1st gen box/stick and i sideloaded quite a bit...
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12314 posts
1866 upvotes
Kanata
Get the 4K version, it is noticeably faster than the standard version. I noticed a huge difference in responsiveness from the regular FireStick to the 4K model.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
1027 posts
627 upvotes
Vancouver
I have only had the 4K. No lag or slowness, in general. Everything works great
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19138 posts
5130 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm... Fire Stick 4K for $39? That's a great deal! How often does that happen? Perhaps I'll wait for the next sale.

EDIT:

I see numerous sales at RFD mentioning the Fire Stick 4K for $55.

amazon-ca-fire-tv-stick-4k-54-99-non-4k ... 9-2285376/

However, I didn't come across a sale on it for $40.

Still, $55 is a very good price, so maybe I'll wait for the next $55 sale on the 4K model.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8060 posts
2729 upvotes
Maple
EugW wrote: Hmmm... Fire Stick 4K for $39? That's a great deal! How often does that happen? Perhaps I'll wait for the next sale.

EDIT:

I see numerous sales at RFD mentioning the Fire Stick 4K for $55.

amazon-ca-fire-tv-stick-4k-54-99-non-4k ... 9-2285376/

However, I didn't come across a sale on it for $40.

Still, $55 is a very good price, so maybe I'll wait for the next $55 sale on the 4K model.
It was on sale for $40 during last Black Friday and Boxing Day. I bought mine during BD. BB, Staples, TS and Amazon were some of the stores.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19138 posts
5130 upvotes
Toronto
OK. Good to know. $40 is an excellent price, and even $55 is decent for the 4K.

BTW, the $40 price yesterday on the regular one is gone anyway. It's now back up to $50. No thanks.

According to Camel Camel Camel the 4K's price drops to $55 every 1-3 months, so it should not be a long wait. It even hit $35 once.

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 2.23.26 PM.png
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10304 posts
2669 upvotes
Winnipeg
vodka wrote: I have a 1st gen fire stick and i agree, slow as $hit, really crap experience using it. Not to mention, the older devices (I also have a 1st gen FireTV - box) can't get some of the newer apps because they are deemed incompatible by Amazon, yet the apps work ok. i.e. If I use a FireTV4k stick, get the app, sideload it on the older FireTV/Stick, it works. Clearly, none will work in 4K though. Basically same thing apple does with their phones/tablets, even though HW is still fine to use, app store will not let you get the older app for those devices any more - Amazon just disables the device from getting the app...

The 4K fire stick is totally worth it, got it when it was $39, at the price it's a no brainer. The regular one is good too, very snappy. I think now Amazon has adapter where you can get hardwired network on it, but I think you may be also able to add a USB port to get more storage.... I never ran out of storage for the record on my 1st gen box/stick and i sideloaded quite a bit...
do you have the first gen firetv rooted and blocking updates? sounds like it needs the new firmware
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2618 posts
855 upvotes
lead wrote: do you have the first gen firetv rooted and blocking updates? sounds like it needs the new firmware
No, it's stock, and not rooted. I'll give you an example, when I search for Apple TV in the apps it's not there. But with a 4K fire stick, you can get this app.
Basically, if I use my "inlaws" 4K fire stick, with my account, I can get the Apple TV app, then export it, and sideload it on my 1st Gen firetv. I've done this on the Bell Fibe app, which again, was not available to download on either 1st gen fire stick or fire tv...

crappy, as the FTV 1st gen is perfectly capable of 1080P just fine.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10304 posts
2669 upvotes
Winnipeg
vodka wrote: No, it's stock, and not rooted. I'll give you an example, when I search for Apple TV in the apps it's not there. But with a 4K fire stick, you can get this app.
Basically, if I use my "inlaws" 4K fire stick, with my account, I can get the Apple TV app, then export it, and sideload it on my 1st Gen firetv. I've done this on the Bell Fibe app, which again, was not available to download on either 1st gen fire stick or fire tv...

crappy, as the FTV 1st gen is perfectly capable of 1080P just fine.
the first gen firetv and the 2nd gen and the first stick and non 4k/basic edition stick all use the same firmware 5.2.7.(2)3. Only The basic edition stick model uses 5.2.7.2 and the rest use 5.2.7.3. I happened to find some with those firmwares and they all downloded and installed apptv. But mine is setup us account.
So maybe check firmware is upto date or its only available in US account? like gemtv,ctv app isn't available under a firetv registered to a us account.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28770 posts
9233 upvotes
EugW wrote: OK. Good to know. $40 is an excellent price, and even $55 is decent for the 4K.

BTW, the $40 price yesterday on the regular one is gone anyway. It's now back up to $50. No thanks.

According to Camel Camel Camel the 4K's price drops to $55 every 1-3 months, so it should not be a long wait. It even hit $35 once.
It was actually $35 during BF sale:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... s-2330519/

I bought two of them during that sale, one as a gift, one I haven't used. Possibly should have bought a third since it doesn't seem like that price will come again until next BF. It was possibly the same price (or $39) for Boxing Day a well, but I can't remember.

It was $45 on Prime Day(s) 2019, so I doubt it'll go to $35 for that this year. I bought one at that price last year thinking that was a deal but now that they've sold it for $35, will definitely not buy another until it hits that again :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2618 posts
855 upvotes
lead wrote: the first gen firetv and the 2nd gen and the first stick and non 4k/basic edition stick all use the same firmware 5.2.7.(2)3. Only The basic edition stick model uses 5.2.7.2 and the rest use 5.2.7.3. I happened to find some with those firmwares and they all downloded and installed apptv. But mine is setup us account.
So maybe check firmware is upto date or its only available in US account? like gemtv,ctv app isn't available under a firetv registered to a us account.
My first gen ftv is running 5.2.7.2 (648594820) and there are no other updates. I thought apple tv was available for firetv devices in Canada too, is that not the case? I can switch the device to a us location to see if that helps .. CTV, gems all that is available for me...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19138 posts
5130 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: No, it's stock, and not rooted. I'll give you an example, when I search for Apple TV in the apps it's not there. But with a 4K fire stick, you can get this app.
Basically, if I use my "inlaws" 4K fire stick, with my account, I can get the Apple TV app, then export it, and sideload it on my 1st Gen firetv. I've done this on the Bell Fibe app, which again, was not available to download on either 1st gen fire stick or fire tv...

crappy, as the FTV 1st gen is perfectly capable of 1080P just fine.
Hmmm. I thought I had the first generation Fire TV Stick but I have the Apple TV app installed using the normal install process. No side loading involved.

My remote is the rectangular squat one that websites say is for the first generation. However, I just checked the model number of the device and it is LY73PR, which is actually 2nd generation. Well not quite. It’s called the Basic Edition.

image.jpg

But it is still slow as hell. So I guess that answers my original question about the speed of the 2nd gen. LOL. :D
Last edited by EugW on Apr 15th, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2618 posts
855 upvotes
EugW wrote: Hmmm. I thought I had the first generation Fire TV Stick but I have the Apple TV app installed using the normal install process. No side loading involved.

My remote is the rectangular squat one that websites say is for the first generation. However, I just checked the model number of the device and it is LY73PR, which is actually 2nd generation.


image.jpg


But it is still slow as hell. So that answers my original question about the speed of the 2nd gen. LOL. :D
Is the location for that FTVstick in the US or in Canada?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19138 posts
5130 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: Is the location for that FTVstick in the US or in Canada?
In Canada. I edited my post above to say that it’s technically a Fire TV Stick Basic Edition, which uses the 2nd gen hardware with a 1st gen remote.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2618 posts
855 upvotes
EugW wrote: In Canada. It edited my post above to say that it’s technically a Fire TV Stick Basic Edition.
"The Apple TV app is now available for installation on numerous Fire TV and Firestick devices. This includes the Fire TV Stick 4k, Firestick 2nd Gen, and the basic Fire TV model"

Not sure what the basic FireTV model is, there is a Gen1 FireTV and Gen2FireTV (the square flat boxes) - I have the Gen1. I guess you have the Firestick 2nd Gen? In any case, some devices remain blocked I guess...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19138 posts
5130 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: "The Apple TV app is now available for installation on numerous Fire TV and Firestick devices. This includes the Fire TV Stick 4k, Firestick 2nd Gen, and the basic Fire TV model"

Not sure what the basic FireTV model is, there is a Gen1 FireTV and Gen2FireTV (the square flat boxes) - I have the Gen1. I guess you have the Firestick 2nd Gen? In any case, some devices remain blocked I guess...
Technically it's called the Fire TV Basic Edition, and is the first generation of that model, so that's even more confusing.

According to various websites out there, it was released in 2017, and is comprised of the 2nd generation stick with the 1st generation remote. I was confused in my original post because some websites identify the unit by the remote alone, so that's misleading for those of us with the Basic Edition because it comes with the 1st gen remote.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-identify ... -you-have/

However, if your Fire TV Stick has model number LY73PR written on the back but it came with a non-voice remote, then it is technically a 1st-generation Fire TV Stick Basic Edition. The Basic Edition version is identical to the 2nd-generation Fire TV Stick hardware in every way, but the software is slightly different because the Basic Edition was made for international markets. The Fire TV Stick Basic Edition was released on November 7, 2017.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10304 posts
2669 upvotes
Winnipeg
EugW wrote: Hmmm. I thought I had the first generation Fire TV Stick but I have the Apple TV app installed using the normal install process. No side loading involved.

My remote is the rectangular squat one that websites say is for the first generation. However, I just checked the model number of the device and it is LY73PR, which is actually 2nd generation. Well not quite. It’s called the Basic Edition.


image.jpg


But it is still slow as hell. So I guess that answers my original question about the speed of the 2nd gen. LOL. :D
hymm my basic edition runs ok. i do not lot load it up with much apps tho and won't touch es file manger or any apps that free memory. they do the opposite eventually. es file manager for fiiretv is just bloatware.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19138 posts
5130 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: hymm my basic edition runs ok. i do not lot load it up with much apps tho and won't touch es file manger or any apps that free memory. they do the opposite eventually. es file manager for fiiretv is just bloatware.
Well, my other TV runs an Apple TV 4K. That thing has an A10X SoC and 3 GB RAM. Despite its more involved UI, it runs much, much smoother.

So it’s quite the jolt going from Apple TV to the Fire TV.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9884 posts
1782 upvotes
EugW wrote: I have a 1st generation Fire TV Stick and it works OK for my 720p TV, but the interface is uber slow.

I was looking on Amazon and they state there is a new 2019 Fire TV Stick (not 4K), but that it is 2nd generation.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-TV-Stick-wit ... 0791Z1G6W/

Is this just the same 2nd gen model from 2016 but with a new remote?

What about the RAM limitation of 1 GB and storage limitation of 8 GB? I'm thinking both are rather limited, as that's the same as I have for my 1st gen.

If so, is it a waste of time to get this, and should I just get the 4K version instead? That one gets 1.5 GB RAM, but is still stuck with 8 GB storage. If they released a 2 GB model with 16 GB storage and faster SoC in 2020, I'd be all over that.
4k version is also rubbish slow. The cube is the way to go OR apple TV 4k.

I was pretty cheap about it, so settled for the 4k fire stick... so slow. So like my 3rd gen apple tv lol.

Top