Automotive

2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i lease question....

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 12:22 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes

2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i lease question....

I'm considering a 2019 X5 x40i as a lease over 4 years, but having never leased a vehicle before, I'm unclear on what all of these "protection plans" are and if I should be considering them. A friend of mine has leased several BMW's in the past and swears up and down that I should get it. Again, with me being unfamiliar with leases, he claims that when the vehicle is returned, that the dealer goes over it with a fine toothed comb and any scratches, etc. that are larger than "x" mm's in size, they can make you pay for the repair. Apparently, the protection packages save you from this concern.

Does this sound correct? Should I be getting the protection package?
Fortune favours the bold...
19 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11864 posts
4184 upvotes
Toronto
It is a peace of mind for you for the next 4 years in case of stone chips on the hood, door dents from the grocery mom parked next to you in the parking lot. It covers up the a certain amount of a damage. Obviously, you don't return the car with a completely bented doors.

A lot of people will tell you that the car dealer will let those go if you buy another car from them. Yes and no, depends how big is the damage, someone is going to pay to fix it, either you or the dealership, if the profit to sell you a new car is great enough to cover that small repairs, they will surely do it, but then you are losing out your bargaining power and you have to STICK to that brand again 4 years later.

I got the Protection Pkg on my MB, which I know I surely return it after 45 months and I don't want to limit my choices to another MB.
On wife's car, we didn't get any protection pkg, we are going a buy back soon so we are not concerning about the repairs upon lease return.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes
So probably something to consider purchasing, even if I don't decide to keep the car or stay with BMW.

I'm guessing this is a negotiable item?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11864 posts
4184 upvotes
Toronto
I got different answers. Some yes and no.
When I got the MB, the price on the protection pkg was firm but that was because I got a ridiculously deal on the car already, so probably they don't bargain with that anymore.

If you try to negotiate. nego it with the cost of the car first. Then adding the protection plan on it, then nego further down and see how it goes. That's what I would do.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29579 posts
15378 upvotes
Toronto
I’m not a fan of these plans at all. If you are being very careful with the vehicle, then I say budget $500 for the rainy days fund.

$1600 + taxes + interest (if rolled into lease) for ewt plan is way too much.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7020 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
If you read the fine print most of these lease guard warranties are crafted cunningly. They have a ceiling of 10k and a max per claim of 1k or other conditions attached.

You're basically looking at a very specific type of damage that wouldn't fall under insurance. Overall these are very high margin items for a reason. It's pure profit for the dealer.

Guaranteed you can fix up any minor dent or paint chip for under 500 if needed. Anything major would go through insurance anyway and you wouldn't even claim under lease guard due to restrictions.

Keep your money.
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
I also regret paying for this plan. I still had scratch or dents repaired even I don’t need to. Because they bother me every time I saw it.
Jan 14, 2008
506 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
I recently returned a BMW lease and wasn't charged for wear and tear... Didnt have these plans either.

Usually the lease allows for a certain amount of wear and tear before lease return, they should mail you a guide showing accepted wear.

Before lease return, a third party company (AutoVIN), comes out to do an inspection..at lease return, the dealership does a quick check. Usually they check for major damages, OEM rims, oem spec runflat tires, OEM windshield.

Also if you get into another lease with the dealer at lewse end they often "overlook" some of the minor dings.

I would suggest to budget the cost of the extra coverage and keep it in a term savings account if you need it; you will likely come out ahead.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5326 posts
4383 upvotes
TheKiwiCornelius wrote: I'm considering a 2019 X5 x40i as a lease over 4 years, but having never leased a vehicle before, I'm unclear on what all of these "protection plans" are and if I should be considering them. A friend of mine has leased several BMW's in the past and swears up and down that I should get it. Again, with me being unfamiliar with leases, he claims that when the vehicle is returned, that the dealer goes over it with a fine toothed comb and any scratches, etc. that are larger than "x" mm's in size, they can make you pay for the repair. Apparently, the protection packages save you from this concern.

Does this sound correct? Should I be getting the protection package?
If it's similar to MBs offerings, then not worth it imo. They market it as covering tire wear and rim damage. But you can refinish a r for $150 and you arent going to drive on bald tires anyways

And any damage during the lease isn't repaired, it's just waiver at end of lease for a set amt. So if you bend/crack a rim (or pop tire), during lease, it's not covered. If your bumper is scratched , you're gonna have to live with it until end of lease

I've leased 3+ BMWs now and never got it and never had an issue at lease return
britelzg wrote: I also regret paying for this plan. I still had scratch or dents repaired even I don’t need to. Because they bother me every time I saw it.

Some brands cover and will fix items during the lease and those are a bit better .
May 7, 2016
457 posts
385 upvotes
Waste of money. Skip all the protection plans that are offered in the finance office. They are an overpriced bunch of "warranties" that offer little in real life at an astronomical price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6889 posts
5802 upvotes
Burlington
booblehead wrote: I’m not a fan of these plans at all. If you are being very careful with the vehicle, then I say budget $500 for the rainy days fund.

$1600 + taxes + interest (if rolled into lease) for ewt plan is way too much.
Yup, ask specifically what it covers. 4 years you'd probably need to change a few things in the car just before lease ends.
if you know how you drive and how you take care of your car, screw it, don't get it.
I paid for my First Class Lease Protection that was $2500 thinking it will be worth it at the end. No it is not, Mercedes Benz found no "exessive wear" on my car. But other things like stickers on the car are not even covered, you'd have to remove yourself or they'd charge you $50 to remove the stickers.

Unless this protection plan of yours cover more issues, don't even bother.
Or if you are planning to lease another bmw, don't bother either.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: I've leased 3+ BMWs now and never got it and never had an issue at lease return
I like the sound of that. Thanks
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29579 posts
15378 upvotes
Toronto
^ you just need to park really far away and don't follow any transport trucks on highway. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes
booblehead wrote: ^ you just need to park really far away and don't follow any transport trucks on highway. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Can't win all the time, right?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1055 posts
476 upvotes
Some of these plans are priced too crazy. BMW run flat tire protection is like $1800. You can almost buy 3 tires for that price. I had one flat tire in 10 years and it cost me $650.
The wear and tear is ok if you plan to walk away and move to another car maker at the end of the lease. Still quite expensive. On a 48 month lease with 20K a year you are likely to have to change the brakes due to wear and tear (not covered) and possibly the tires (low thread depth). Other than that its any dings and windshield tips.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6745 posts
5506 upvotes
TheKiwiCornelius wrote: I like the sound of that. Thanks
It matters if you return car and leave the brand.

It doesn't matter if you lease another one or buy it out.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: It matters if you return car and leave the brand.

It doesn't matter if you lease another one or buy it out.
Fair enough. If I lease for 4 years, I don't think I would keep the X5 for longer just because I'd want something else. Which means, maybe looking at another brand altogether since the X5 is a new model right now and a refresh won't mean all that much.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16667 posts
14967 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TheKiwiCornelius wrote: Fair enough. If I lease for 4 years, I don't think I would keep the X5 for longer just because I'd want something else. Which means, maybe looking at another brand altogether since the X5 is a new model right now and a refresh won't mean all that much.
Actually BMW’s LCI brings a lot of updates. So yes a refresh does mean a lot.
Dec 22, 2015
139 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vernonco wrote: Some of these plans are priced too crazy. BMW run flat tire protection is like $1800. You can almost buy 3 tires for that price. I had one flat tire in 10 years and it cost me $650.
The wear and tear is ok if you plan to walk away and move to another car maker at the end of the lease. Still quite expensive. On a 48 month lease with 20K a year you are likely to have to change the brakes due to wear and tear (not covered) and possibly the tires (low thread depth). Other than that its any dings and windshield tips.
On another hand I've had 5 tire replacements with rim and tire protection, so... I've made my returns on that.