2019 Infiniti QX50 opinions

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 11:34 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Caps1983 wrote: I currently drive a 2014 Q50 and like the Infiniti brand. There are a few things it’s lacking that annoys me and like you said this segment is crowded so I was just wondering if there is anything out there that really stands out more than the competition.

How you like your Q5 so far?
Do you have DAS on your 2014 Q50? You will get used to the bad infotainment system since it’s the same as the Q50. Love the interior of the car. 2 things I couldn’t stand on the QX50, CVT and DAS. These 2 things drove me away from it.
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
Inclemental wrote: Do you have DAS on your 2014 Q50? You will get used to the bad infotainment system since it’s the same as the Q50. Love the interior of the car. 2 things I couldn’t stand on the QX50, CVT and DAS. These 2 things drove me away from it.
What is DAS?

Yeah the infotainment in my Q50 is the same as the QX50. Ugly and outdated lol
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Caps1983 wrote: What is DAS?

Yeah the infotainment in my Q50 is the same as the QX50. Ugly and outdated lol
DAS, directive assisted steering. It’s drive by wire without physical steering column. Your wheel is not connecting the steering. To me, the driving feel is too artificial. It was on Q50 as an option but standard on the QX50. Didn’t you feel the steering was too light and sensitive while driving it?

Now you can get aftermarket infotainment system for you QX50. It’s android base and compatible with original system. You can use all your original controls and you can also switch between the two on demand.
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
Inclemental wrote: DAS, directive assisted steering. It’s drive by wire without physical steering column. Your wheel is not connecting the steering. To me, the driving feel is too artificial. It was on Q50 as an option but standard on the QX50. Didn’t you feel the steering was too light and sensitive while driving it?

Now you can get aftermarket infotainment system for you QX50. It’s android base and compatible with original system. You can use all your original controls and you can also switch between the two on demand.
The 2014 Q50 didn’t have DAS. I think it was introduced in 2015 or 2016.

I’d love to change the infotainment but since it’s a lease I doubt I’d be able to.
Aug 30, 2017
246 posts
96 upvotes
Caps1983 wrote: Think I’m going to have to test drive the RDX now lol.
I watched a few YouTube reviews and the only thing that’s negative about the RDX is the infotainement system and the way you navigate it. How do you find it so far ?

Sorry for all my questions :)
No problem, the infotainment isn't so bad. It's pretty intuitive, it just takes a bit to get used to - with standard trackpads your instinct is to swipe, and on this one it works better when you just press and feel your way around. Swiping is when you want to go to the next page, so sometimes I'll end up swiping to the next page when I wanted to select the next icon over. That said, the GPS layout and graphics are fantastic.

The RDX also has autostart, and it also has an app that will let you autostart from your phone as well as continue with your GPS from door to door, I believe the call it "the last mile" where when you shut off the GPS in your car, it'll go to your phone and your phone will take you the rest of the way. Pretty neat. You can also get stats about your car on your phone (tire pressure, fuel level, driving stats, etc). I don't know if other manufacturers have similar apps. I think you have to pay for it after it's trial is over, I haven't looked into the costs yet.
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
starkickers wrote: No problem, the infotainment isn't so bad. It's pretty intuitive, it just takes a bit to get used to - with standard trackpads your instinct is to swipe, and on this one it works better when you just press and feel your way around. Swiping is when you want to go to the next page, so sometimes I'll end up swiping to the next page when I wanted to select the next icon over. That said, the GPS layout and graphics are fantastic.

The RDX also has autostart, and it also has an app that will let you autostart from your phone as well as continue with your GPS from door to door, I believe the call it "the last mile" where when you shut off the GPS in your car, it'll go to your phone and your phone will take you the rest of the way. Pretty neat. You can also get stats about your car on your phone (tire pressure, fuel level, driving stats, etc). I don't know if other manufacturers have similar apps. I think you have to pay for it after it's trial is over, I haven't looked into the costs yet.
Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated!!

Will definitely go check out the RDX!
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
For those of you wondering, I got confirmation by Infiniti that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be integrated in the 2020 QX50. Apparently it will be version 2 that will allow you to connect wirelessly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
FWIW.... I see there are some QX50's uploading info on Fuelly now.

Even with the new fangled engine, they are getting pretty much the same average fuel economy as the RDX.

QX50 10.8 L/100km > http://www.fuelly.com/car/infiniti/qx50

RDX 10.9 L/100km > http://www.fuelly.com/car/acura/rdx

I suspect the QX50 numbers will go a little lower as they get more vehicles reporting.

Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I've had a couple of Infiniti vehicles over the years.

Looked into X3 (last gen), RDX (current gen) as well as RAV4. Was put off with the interiors. Also considered Q50, A5 Sportback and Tesla Model 3, but a midsize SUV seems to make sense for us, as we usually plan summer trips that require cargo space.

Just happened to drop by Infiniti for window shopping and ended up test driving QX50. Found it quite impressive and almost tempted to get one. Though the infotainment system is somewhat lackluster and also no CarPlay, I'm still tempted to see if I can get a good deal.

Wondering if anyone is currently driving QX50? Would love to hear the experience.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14178 upvotes
Toronto
I think the QX50 looks good inside and out and has some interesting tech, but I'm not sure i would buy an Infiniti and i still don't like CVT's.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-ma ... ions-last/

Nissan CVT problems - some points for Nissan CVT transmission reliability:

Low speed acceleration is a trouble-spot, the vehicles will shutter and shake while getting up to speed.

One of the reasons for all that shaking might be an overheating. Nissan has been accused of using an inadequate cooling system for their transmission.

The CVT can take a long time to respond to input from the pedal. CVTs, by design, always feel different when you cram the accelerator to the floor. While a geared transmission typically bursts off the line, a CVT has a smoother (and slower) increase to maximum power.

But CVT’s sluggishness goes too far. It may be a safety hazard when trying to merge onto a busy road. Needless to say, you cannot any friends with the people driving behind you.

CVT whining is a common problem and not unique to Nissan vehicles. What is unique, however, is how much Nissan’s CVTs whine. There’s also clanging and rattling.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
I have the 2019 RDX and had briefly considered the QX-50.

QX-50 infotainment system was the main reason i crossed it off my list. The top screen which has the maps looks like the map i use to have on my 2001 Nokia phone and the lack of android auto or apple carplay also doesn't help either. For a luxury brand this to me is unacceptable. However the car is beautiful on the outside but if i can't enjoy myself on the inside...where i'm sitting, then it's a no-go for me.

On the other hand the RDX has Apple carplay and is supposed to have Android auto eventually. The infotainment system, while lacking android auto works wonders for me. The people crapping on the infotainment system on YouTube were probably paid by competitors to crap on the RDX or are simply too stupid to comprehend basic touch controls. The touch-pad is a 1-to-1 match with your screen so after you spend about 5-10 minutes playing around with it, you don't even need to look to know what and where you're pressing so i can stay focused on the road.

RDX does however have some faults but the overall positives far outweigh the negatives.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
jono454 wrote: I have the 2019 RDX and had briefly considered the QX-50.

QX-50 infotainment system was the main reason i crossed it off my list. The top screen which has the maps looks like the map i use to have on my 2001 Nokia phone and the lack of android auto or apple carplay also doesn't help either. For a luxury brand this to me is unacceptable. However the car is beautiful on the outside but if i can't enjoy myself on the inside...where i'm sitting, then it's a no-go for me.

On the other hand the RDX has Apple carplay and is supposed to have Android auto eventually. The infotainment system, while lacking android auto works wonders for me. The people crapping on the infotainment system on YouTube were probably paid by competitors to crap on the RDX or are simply too stupid to comprehend basic touch controls. The touch-pad is a 1-to-1 match with your screen so after you spend about 5-10 minutes playing around with it, you don't even need to look to know what and where you're pressing so i can stay focused on the road.

RDX does however have some faults but the overall positives far outweigh the negatives.
We are also looking at both the RDX and QX-50 and eliminated the Infinity for the same reason. Still shopping around but seriously considering the RDX Tech. How do you find the fake engine noise? the one pumped in through the speakers?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Oct 27, 2008
169 posts
142 upvotes
Coquitlam
blexann wrote: We are also looking at both the RDX and QX-50 and eliminated the Infinity for the same reason. Still shopping around but seriously considering the RDX Tech. How do you find the fake engine noise? the one pumped in through the speakers?
I barely hear anything in comfort mode. It's more audible in sport mode. I actually drive in sport mode because after switching from a mustang, I welcome a engine noise.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Aesthetics matter to me (inside and out). That's one reason I walked away from RDX. Didn't like the exterior too much and interior seemed like a spaceship with the designing and millions of buttons.

I find QX50 very appealing (inside and out). Though infotainment system may be a little dated, since I've been driving Infinitis, I find I can live with it. Apparently, they're supposed to be coming out with ApplePlay in 2020, so hoping for a software update.

Looking into leasing it, so I always have the option of walking away in 4 years.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
blexann wrote: We are also looking at both the RDX and QX-50 and eliminated the Infinity for the same reason. Still shopping around but seriously considering the RDX Tech. How do you find the fake engine noise? the one pumped in through the speakers?
I honestly don't mind the sound and since i'm not really a 'car' guy i don't mind that it's fake. My previous car was a 2010 Mazda 3 so any sound is better than no sound lol.
Jan 24, 2013
4 posts
Inclemental wrote: DAS, directive assisted steering. It’s drive by wire without physical steering column. Your wheel is not connecting the steering. To me, the driving feel is too artificial. It was on Q50 as an option but standard on the QX50. Didn’t you feel the steering was too light and sensitive while driving it?

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but was wondering if you might know of any aftermarket systems or places I can search for upgrading my 2019 qx50 infotainment system? I've done some searching but haven't found anything worth while. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
talas11 wrote: Apologies for reviving an old thread, but was wondering if you might know of any aftermarket systems or places I can search for upgrading my 2019 qx50 infotainment system? I've done some searching but haven't found anything worth while. Thanks!
I found this guy from China whom sells the Android system for the current Q50 and QX50. I like his system but it’s on the pricey side. He quoted me $750 USD shipped. It would cost me total of $1300-$1500 After duty and installation so I passed it.

PM me if you are still interested as I am not promoting any of his product.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
I was wondering if anyone has has any experience with the 2020 QX50? From what I read, they have updated the infotainment system? I wish they still had the 3.7 litre V6 and the 7 speed, I had a G37 at one time and liked that combination.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2057 posts
885 upvotes
I was a big fan of the brand. Had an FX35 and then a QX70 and loved them both. Fast, sporty and very reliable cars. Then they discontinued the FX/QX70 line and thought I’d look at the QX50 as it has decent looks and quite a bit of storage space. As soon as I checked the specs online, it immediately came off my list of cars to buy. First year model with a four cylinder engine, Nissan Turbo and a Nissan CVT - no thanks!! It appears to me that Nissan wants to kill the Infiniti line of cars by giving them their wonderful CVT and a highly questionable Turbo.