2019 Lexus UX

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2022 1:09 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Surprised I can fit behind myself in the CHR but it definitely is a two seater at the back unless three petite children sit there.

I didn't know the CHR handled well and doesn't have a rear torsion beam suspension like the CX3.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
iflyplanes wrote: No it's not. NX competes with the X3.
No it doesnt. NX is a rav4 and a rav4 is smaller than a X3. My SIL just picked up a NX300 and it's cramped inside compared to my X3. It's also way cheaper compared to an equivalent equipped X3.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote: No it doesnt. NX is a rav4 and a rav4 is smaller than a X3. My SIL just picked up a NX300 and it's cramped inside compared to my X3. It's also way cheaper compared to an equivalent equipped X3.
I really don't get the RAV4 vs NX thing. They are virtually the same size externally, share the same wheelbase, but the RAV4 has much more cargo room and passenger room in the back

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/compare/rav4

It's almost like Toyota filled teh NX with dead space to make it smaller than the RX. The RAV4 on the other can swallow up a family of 4 with all their cargo pretty well.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mr_raider wrote: I really don't get the RAV4 vs NX thing. They are virtually the same size externally, share the same wheelbase, but the RAV4 has much more cargo room and passenger room in the back

It's almost like Toyota filled teh NX with dead space to make it smaller than the RX. The RAV4 on the other can swallow up a family of 4 with all their cargo pretty well.
Rav4 is more boxy so that gives you a lot more usable room vs. The curved sides on the NX. Like the Q3/5 where its so slanted in the back it kills cargo room. Stupid designs.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: I really don't get the RAV4 vs NX thing. They are virtually the same size externally, share the same wheelbase, but the RAV4 has much more cargo room and passenger room in the back

90% parts used in NX is different than a RAV4.
Same size doesn't mean the same car.

Sure one can think of that a 35k Rav4 can do my job and fits my needs. I'm going to stick it, that's fine. But a equipped NX is totally different than a 40k equipped Rav4.
There may be a 15-20k difference, but it depends how you value the other extra that Lexus offer OTHER than the Size.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MP3_SKY wrote: 90% parts used in NX is different than a RAV4.
Same size doesn't mean the same car.

Sure one can think of that a 35k Rav4 can do my job and fits my needs. I'm going to stick it, that's fine. But a equipped NX is totally different than a 40k equipped Rav4.
There may be a 15-20k difference, but it depends how you value the other extra that Lexus offer OTHER than the Size.
Meh at the end of the day the underpinnings are virtually the same minus the power plant. It's that 10% that the eye can't see that's the same as the cheap rav4. Poor value propersition.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
If I get a Lexus, I will have it serviced at Toyota.

I was told it was okay to keep warranty in force.

Didn't know 90% of parts we different but
I know steering feel and suspension are going to be better.

But for $20k more on the NX300H, I just missed out on 110V, auto dimming side mirrors, maybe telescopic steering, just one or two more features, one extra extended warranty year and a nicer dash layout/sounds/ride/ steering.

I might just go with Toyota BEV instead of Lexus if the former will come in AWD but if a BEV IS is announced, I will pick that up for sure. At least in 2013, the IS won the C/D comparo which just shows Toyota can build fun cars that are of above average reliability.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote: Didn't know 90% of parts we different but
I know steering feel and suspension are going to be better.
Steering feel is not a guaranteed improvement on a Lexus. The ES for instance is one of the looser cars I've driven often more so than the standard Camry. Better ride though, is a lot more likely as only the LFA goes against that.
alanbrenton wrote: I might just go with Toyota BEV instead of Lexus if the former will come in AWD but if a BEV IS is announced, I will pick that up for sure. At least in 2013, the IS won the C/D comparo which just shows Toyota can build fun cars that are of above average reliability.
Do keep in mind the IS that won was specifically a F-Sport unit, so to get a Lexus that drives comparable to the Germans requires shelling a lot of money. From my perspective though the Germans have worsened their cars on the fun to drive part, the 3-series in particular was a lot worse than it used to be only for me to find out you need a specific Sport package to get half decent steering. Something that used to be a standard feature for a BMW.

Its not that Toyota didn't understand how to build fun reliable cars, but their customer base were the exact opposite of enthusiasts. People who treat a car as a necessary evil and don't enjoy driving at all meaning a lot of that effort thus was wasted. My hand me down Toyota was actually a fun RWD sedan meant for luxury. Not knowing much about cars back then, I couldn't understand why people ragged on Toyotas for not being fun to drive because the one I was driving was amazing compared to everything else I drove at that point. I drove that car for a long time and even to this day is one of the nicest cars I've driven, so yes I regret leaving it. I hold today's Toyotas and Lexus up to that car's standard for drive ability, and almost all miserably fail it. The only one that didn't, I bought it and its not even a pure Toyota product.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I actually don't mind shelling a little bit more money for the F Sport if only for the Adaptive variable suspension and steering.

But I think I'll wait for Pure Electric before I get a Lexus or if my older Civic breaks down needing costly repairs.

I don't know what is wrong with the F Sport grills but I like the looks of the conventional grills (horizontal) better.

Are you comparing hydraulic steering to EPS on all those newer vehicles you've driven? And were any RWD biased?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JeganV wrote: Steering feel is not a guaranteed improvement on a Lexus. The ES for instance is one of the looser cars I've driven often more so than the standard Camry. Better ride though, is a lot more likely as only the LFA goes against that.

Do keep in mind the IS that won was specifically a F-Sport unit, so to get a Lexus that drives comparable to the Germans requires shelling a lot of money. From my perspective though the Germans have worsened their cars on the fun to drive part, the 3-series in particular was a lot worse than it used to be only for me to find out you need a specific Sport package to get half decent steering. Something that used to be a standard feature for a BMW.

Its not that Toyota didn't understand how to build fun reliable cars, but their customer base were the exact opposite of enthusiasts. People who treat a car as a necessary evil and don't enjoy driving at all meaning a lot of that effort thus was wasted. My hand me down Toyota was actually a fun RWD sedan meant for luxury. Not knowing much about cars back then, I couldn't understand why people ragged on Toyotas for not being fun to drive because the one I was driving was amazing compared to everything else I drove at that point. I drove that car for a long time and even to this day is one of the nicest cars I've driven, so yes I regret leaving it. I hold today's Toyotas and Lexus up to that car's standard for drive ability, and almost all miserably fail it. The only one that didn't, I bought it and its not even a pure Toyota product.
Toyota absolutely doesn't know how to manufacture a performance car which is why they typically turn to Yamaha and Lotus to make it into a performance car for them.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
EP32k2 wrote: Toyota absolutely doesn't know how to manufacture a performance car which is why they typically turn to Yamaha and Lotus to make it into a performance car for them.
Don't forget
Subaru and BMW for the Toyabru twins and the Zupr4.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
EP32k2 wrote: Toyota absolutely doesn't know how to manufacture a performance car which is why they typically turn to Yamaha and Lotus to make it into a performance car for them.
Yamaha only made one car for Toyota, the 2000GT, originally meant to be a Nissan but only Toyota would fund that one. Engine contracting, yes Toyota has turned to Yamaha for nearly all their performance engines, only the 2JZ from the Mk IV Supra didn't have Yamaha help. Yamaha however doesn't do anything else for Toyota sports cars other than engines. To say that is enough to condemn Toyota and claim they can't make a performance car...I guess McLaren is even worse, they've never built their engines because its from either BMW or Ricardo so clearly they know nothing apparently.

Lotus collaboration on a Toyota car was only for the Celica Supra XX(Mk II Supra), other than that, there's no official mention of Lotus help since.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Motoring: Geneva. Lexus UX
Specs:
Length: 176.9"
Height: 59.8"
Width: 72.4"
Wheelbase: 103.9"
Engine: Hybrid 2.0l four, 176hp. With CVT.
Slightly smaller than the NX which leaves room for a smaller CUV.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
My guess is next gen NX will upsize to compete with GLC, X3, Q5 in size too, then slot this UX to compete with GLA/A class.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Now that the drive train details are fleshed out it makes sense now why the CH-R is so gimped compared to its original plan.

The UX has the drivetrain the CH-R should have had. At this rate the CH-R will likely never see a drivetrain Improvement.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10977 upvotes
Scarbs
Everyone: "The Lexus design language can't get any worse"
Lexus: "Hold my beer"
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
tebore wrote: Now that the drive train details are fleshed out it makes sense now why the CH-R is so gimped compared to its original plan.

The UX has the drivetrain the CH-R should have had. At this rate the CH-R will likely never see a drivetrain Improvement.
The CH-R will get the new 2.0l four when it gets updated.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
sandikosh wrote: The CH-R will get the new 2.0l four when it gets updated.
Well that's going to be the Corp Value engine. So it makes sense. But they may not even do because the UX is getting that drivetrain. Then the CH-R would eat in to those sales.

The problem I can see is Toyota/Lexus didn't really give them much room in drivetrain differentiation. The NX doesn't have enough power (Seriously to compete with it's German rivals), if you give the UX more umph to differentiate from the CH-R you're eating the NX's lunch and the UX has a better chassis.
An educated buyer will see this and scratch their head and wonder wtf Lexus/Toyota is doing. For their target group this thing is gonna sell like hotcakes regardless.

AWD & Hybrid drivetrain, which was rumored at launch for the CH-R. The rest of the world has a Turbo 4, manual and AWD