Automotive

2019 Subaru Forester: December or wait till early next year?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 2:35 am
Nov 23, 2015
2 posts
Vancouver

2019 Subaru Forester: December or wait till early next year?

Looking to finance a new Forester since my old '02 Outback has bit the dust. Wondering if I am better off trying to get a reasonable deal now (-$500 finance rebate and see what deal I can get towards the end of Dec) or to wait a month or two till 2019 in hopes of the interest rate coming down a little... Any help appeciated.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
futuratense wrote: Looking to finance a new Forester since my old '02 Outback has bit the dust. Wondering if I am better off trying to get a reasonable deal now (-$500 finance rebate and see what deal I can get towards the end of Dec) or to wait a month or two till 2019 in hopes of the interest rate coming down a little... Any help appeciated.
I'd hold out until January because people will have spent all their money during the holidays. People will not be in the market for buying cars usually, tho while there are exceptions... what do you really have to lose by waiting? $500 off is cookies compared to what they make on these per unit.

GL
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Sep 9, 2013
697 posts
594 upvotes
Ottawa
Why wait, go now, Im pretty sure for most dealers its the slow season, everyones spending money on Xmas and vacations this time of year. Also most sales persons are told to take vacation time now because its so slow. Nothing to loose.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
i'd buy it now

might as well enjoy it
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would go out and start shopping now BUT I would not start seriously talking about buying it and taking delivery until the LAST week of December.

Why?

Subaru works on a yearly system of sales so their sales year ends with the calendar year + 1 day (so it ends on January 2). For dealers to qualify for their sales bonuses and discount levels for the next year, they need to achieve certain agreed-upon sales levels for the current year - ie they need to make X sales in 2018 for discount/bonus level of 2019. Many dealers will make it before the end of the month, some won't make it at all, while others will be very, very close. The ones that are very, very close will need to sell a few cars BEFORE the end of their sales year in order to make it. You need to find a dealer (or the dealer finds you) that is very close and needs to deliver a few vehicles before the end of the year. If you find one and that they know you are serious in buying, they will offer you a discount just to deliver the vehicle on or before January 2.

How do I know? That's exactly what happened to me with my Subaru except mine was on a freighter coming from Japan at the time and they didn't know when it was going to arrive other than the later part of December. When I was informed by my dealer that the car arrived during the last week of December, I told them that with all of the things going on I would take delivery on January 3rd as I would go to the bank January 2nd. The assistant sales manager asked me what could they do to have me come in ONE day earlier (ie January 2nd) to take delivery as they needed it for their sales year. I already had a great price but I worked in a few hundred in accessories with free installation just so I would move my delivery date to the 2nd.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)