Automotive

2019 Subaru Forester - Problem Starting

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2020 12:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1825 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto

2019 Subaru Forester - Problem Starting

Hi.

Car noob here. Can anyone inform me what is causing my Forester to not start? I recorded it below. I tried it a third time and it just just got worse. This is the first time trying to start the car after I got an oil change (yesterday) at the dealership. Is it possible they messed up the connectors to the battery? I believe they performed a vehicle check after they changed the oil.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ed44DZd4qETQpssL6

Any help would be appreciated. Is it a big issue/expensive to fix?
Thanks
44 replies
Newbie
Dec 13, 2012
31 posts
23 upvotes
WHITBY
It seems like the battery is dead. A light or something was probably left on that discharged the battery. Maybe try boosting it with either a battery booster pack or another car.
Sr. Member
Jul 19, 2010
608 posts
247 upvotes
Calgary
its the battery.. you need a new one. ( since it's a 2019, you might be able to get a prorated warranty from the dealer)
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2006
815 posts
420 upvotes
Hello yes it is a battery issue. since your car is 2019 i am pretty sure subaru has free roadside assistance you should call them
before you bring it in you remove all those dash cameras , gps all aftermarket electrical as they will just blame those things for draining the battery
Newbie
Nov 14, 2018
18 posts
6 upvotes
Subaru batteries are notorious for being "golf cart" quality. You'll see many others in the same boat if you do a google search. I got stranded 4 times due to my factory battery in my 2015 Forester XT. Went straight to Costco and bought a Kirkland and never had an issue again. The dealer paid for my replacement as well.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
19628 posts
7187 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Sometimes batteries die from old age or low quality (which seems to be the consensus in this thread so far) but they can also die because the alternator did a poor job recharging them.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 15, 2014
977 posts
829 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Battery in my Subaru died in 3 years.
Please respond
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35517 posts
21566 upvotes
Center of Universe
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Dead battery. Did you leave dome light on?
New vehicles have a "smart" battery management system and would cut all power to the lights once it detects a drop in battery voltage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1825 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone for your replies. Going to check out the subaru roadside assistance and see what they can do for me. I'm pretty good at ensuring all lights are turned off in the car each time. But who knows. It's just sketchy this happens the day after I got my oil change. Never had issues before this.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35517 posts
21566 upvotes
Center of Universe
XSnapSX wrote: Thanks everyone for your replies. Going to check out the subaru roadside assistance and see what they can do for me. I'm pretty good at ensuring all lights are turned off in the car each time. But who knows. It's just sketchy this happens the day after I got my oil change. Never had issues before this.
Doubles check battery terminals and ensure cables are nice and tight on the posts.
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2003
553 posts
13 upvotes
exactly the same thing happened to my neighbor. it was enough for him to get home but when he stopped and turned off the engine...no go..

i took off the battery terminals and retightened and all ok after that for months
Sr. Member
May 21, 2015
906 posts
436 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
also check that the side lights in the cargo area aren't flipped on draining the battery. I'm guessing they're still the same as on our 2015 and 2016.. we've done that before.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1825 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Got the car boosted by CAA by calling Subaru Roadside Assistance, they showed up in 10 minutes (probably because I live within GTA) drove around for 20 minutes then went to closest subaru dealership. I showed them the video and they are doing some tests right now. Hopefully they find the issue. CAA even mentioned he does many subarus and says its the battery... who knows.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6161 posts
3224 upvotes
Mississauga
Manufacturers put in the smallest battery they can get away with because it saves weight. And saving weight improves mileage and keeps those CAFE numbers up.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
19628 posts
7187 upvotes
Socially Distanced
mrweather wrote: Manufacturers put in the smallest battery they can get away with because it saves weight. And saving weight improves mileage and keeps those CAFE numbers up.
The difference is a fraction of a percent. If thats the best they can do then they are in more trouble then they think.
And if they want to be innovative they would use an even smaller but more durable battery and super capacitors. But that would also cut repair revenues in the future.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6161 posts
3224 upvotes
Mississauga
Quentin5 wrote: The difference is a fraction of a percent. If thats the best they can do then they are in more trouble then they think.
Fractions of a percent is all the accountants need when you’re talking about an “average fuel economy”.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
19628 posts
7187 upvotes
Socially Distanced
mrweather wrote: Fractions of a percent is all the accountants need when you’re talking about an “average fuel economy”.
Then perhaps they should replace them with more durable but lighter batteries and super capacitors, It would achieve even more then they are now. But it would reduce their future revenues.
Get yet another fraction of a percent.
I won't hold my breath.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3961 posts
4141 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: The difference is a fraction of a percent.
The entire advent of start stop systems and mild hybridization is to save 0.000001 CO2s. Don't kid yourself. Governments and the Left wing whackos that support their desire to save in one area while causing the mining of rare metals or whatever pillage done to the Earth on the other hand is 'real'.

In the case of this topic at hand, saving 2g for a crappy battery to now have to throw it out for a new one seems wasteful (because it is).
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
19628 posts
7187 upvotes
Socially Distanced
angryaudifanatic wrote: The entire advent of start stop systems and mild hybridization is to save 0.000001 CO2s. Don't kid yourself. Governments and the Left wing whackos that support their desire to save in one area while causing the mining of rare metals or whatever pillage done to the Earth on the other hand is 'real'.

In the case of this topic at hand, saving 2g for a crappy battery to now have to throw it out for a new one seems wasteful (because it is).
Yes i know, this whole objection to efficiency is because the big bad gubmint is out to get us.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people

Top