None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3128 posts
4195 upvotes
Edmonton

2020 Ford Explorer fails to receive a score of Good on the small overlap test

I find it pathetic that the fully redesigned 2020 Ford Explorer still doesn't receive a score of Good on the small overlap test. What the hell is this company thinking?

Last edited by Blubbs on Dec 9th, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
34 replies
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
287 upvotes
I dont get the obsession with safety derived from crash ratings or tech.

Safety comes from focus.

Domestics do suck tho.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7417 posts
5438 upvotes
Kitchener
...and yet the Tesla Model 3 (a domestic) got the highest crash test scores of ANY vehicle ever tested by Euroncap. A world class leading vehicle. If you're looking for safety, crossovers are not really built for safety.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model-3/37573

I'm focusing on the European scoring system because it's a LOT more detailed than the NHTSA star system (where the Tesla Model 3 also scored the best ever for the lowest probability of injury), followed closely by 2 other domestic vehicles (Tesla Model S and Tesla Model X).
Last edited by Rob_EV on Dec 9th, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: I find it pathetic that the fully redesigned 2020 Ford Explorer still doesn't receive a score of Good on the small overlap test. What the hell is this company thinking?
They need softer fronts for the cops to do softer pit maneuvers.

:D

That's said, not sure how Ford missed this.
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1204 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: I find it pathetic that the fully redesigned 2020 Ford Explorer still doesn't receive a score of Good on the small overlap test. What the hell is this company thinking?
Were they even thinking?
Aug 6, 2017
608 posts
930 upvotes
Apart from trucks, people still buy American cars? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7417 posts
5438 upvotes
Kitchener
Kingsmen17 wrote: Apart from trucks, people still buy American cars? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Tesla Model 3 is one of the top selling cars right now (right up there with Civic, Camry and Corolla). It's about as American as it comes, with most of the parts being made in Canada and USA.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
IntrepidRT wrote: Tesla Model 3 is one of the top selling cars right now (right up there with Civic, Camry and Corolla). It's about as American as it comes, with most of the parts being made in Canada and USA.
All of which are made in North America so are 'American' cars. I laugh at people whom buy Toyota/Honda and claim their POS is Japanese, lol.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
865 upvotes
From the IIHSC "North American drivers are so extremely obese they contain sufficient cellulo-compression dampening to negate the benefit of reasonable standards of safety engineering and the unreasonable costs for implementation of said engineering"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3128 posts
4195 upvotes
Edmonton
koffey wrote: All of which are made in North America so are 'American' cars. I laugh at people whom buy Toyota/Honda and claim their POS is Japanese, lol.
If you think there are no corporate culture, LEAN manufacturing and parts quality differences between Japanese and domestic brand manufacturing operations in the US and Canada, you are clearly out to lunch.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2744 posts
1280 upvotes
Calgary
IntrepidRT wrote: Tesla Model 3 is one of the top selling cars right now (right up there with Civic, Camry and Corolla). It's about as American as it comes, with most of the parts being made in Canada and USA.
Model 3 sold around 115,000 so far in 2019 in USA compared to about 300,000 each for Camry Civic Corolla. So while that's very impressive for an EV, it's not really up there with those 3.
Canadian Model 3 sales are around 9,500 so far while Civic and Corolla are close to 50,000 each. Tesla 3 is about 50th best selling vehicle in Canada and about 15th best in USA.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7417 posts
5438 upvotes
Kitchener
aleks wrote: Model 3 sold around 115,000 so far in 2019 in USA compared to about 300,000 each for Camry Civic Corolla. So while that's very impressive for an EV, it's not really up there with those 3.
Canadian Model 3 sales are around 9,500 so far while Civic and Corolla are close to 50,000 each. Tesla 3 is about 50th best selling vehicle in Canada and about 15th best in USA.
The Model 3 sedan, the brand's first “affordable” EV, finished the 2018 calendar year as the eighth bestselling car in Canada with a reported 14,750 units sold (only available for last 7 months of the year). 2019 numbers not out yet.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
Blubbs wrote: If you think there are no corporate culture, LEAN manufacturing and parts quality differences between Japanese and domestic brand manufacturing operations in the US and Canada, you are clearly out to lunch.
So because a company is Japanese and is no longer manufacturing or designing in Japan and it is done in America, what is that product? Parts and vehicles included... Japanese or Domestic?

I'm readying my popcorn. It's good lunch.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3128 posts
4195 upvotes
Edmonton
IntrepidRT wrote: The Model 3 sedan, the brand's first “affordable” EV, finished the 2018 calendar year as the eighth bestselling car in Canada with a reported 14,750 units sold (only available for last 7 months of the year). 2019 numbers not out yet.
Stop making every thread about your car, it's annoying. You come off like a shill
koffey wrote: So because a company is Japanese and is no longer manufacturing or designing in Japan and it is done in America, what is that product? Parts and vehicles included... Japanese or Domestic?

I'm readying my popcorn. It's good lunch.
You are asking mereological questions and debating semantics, I am saying that corporate decision making on every level varies between Japanese and domestic manufacturers. The great majority of evidence supports this position, if you want to argue that all manufacturers that build in Canada are the same the burden of proof rests with you. I'm well aware that Hondas have the most North American parts of any vehicles sold here.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2744 posts
1280 upvotes
Calgary
IntrepidRT wrote: The Model 3 sedan, the brand's first “affordable” EV, finished the 2018 calendar year as the eighth bestselling car in Canada with a reported 14,750 units sold (only available for last 7 months of the year). 2019 numbers not out yet.
If by car you mean sedan then yeah right now it's ~10th best selling sedan in Canada in first 3 quarters and 50th best selling overall vehicle, but again nowhere near what a Civic or a Corolla would sell in a year.
I do think it's very impressive in sales compared to cars like 3 series and C class though.
Last edited by aleks on Dec 9th, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35253 posts
21231 upvotes
Center of Universe
Those crash ratings do nothing to deter buyers.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
Blubbs wrote:

You are asking mereological questions and debating semantics, I am saying that corporate decision making on every level varies between Japanese and domestic manufacturers. The great majority of evidence supports this position, if you want to argue that all manufacturers that build in Canada are the same the burden of proof rests with you. I'm well aware that Hondas have the most North American parts of any vehicles sold here.
Debating semantics? So you think that because all the decisions of design and manufacturing in a north american building/plant, the Japanese thinking or L.E.A.N process has a huge influence from over a NA headquarters? The proof is in the pudding and I don't have to prove it. Honda has had a negative decline in their so called solid reliability. Or is it because domestics are catching up to their counterparts? It's either one or the other.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8946 posts
10133 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Ford only cares about selling more SUVs to angry soccer mom's. So they will just double down on their advertising on that front.

- "this is my fight song"
- Asian couple at the fair where the woman wins the bigger prize and drives the sad male home
- recently where the wife is putting up a tennis ball to stop the weak cardigan wearing husband from backing into the wall
- the mom who takes her son out car shopping

A few more of those should smooth everything over.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1821 posts
1442 upvotes
Ottawa
koffey wrote: All of which are made in North America so are 'American' cars. I laugh at people whom buy Toyota/Honda and claim their POS is Japanese, lol.
A Japanese make, made in North America, will still be lightyears ahead of your Ford junk. Ford sucked at making cars, so they gave that up! They clearly can't make SUVs or trucks right either, so the whole company needs to be tossed at this point!

And just LMAO @ the Ford apologists downvoting this thread. Pathetic.