Automotive

2020 Kia Sorento, Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX-5

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2020 7:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes

2020 Kia Sorento, Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX-5

I heard all about engine issue on Kia. I never own Kia but I am interested in their SUV...Kia Sorento, but I am concern about the engine issue.

Does anyone has any comment? For those who owns it, please share your experience here.

I am also looking and comparing with others SUV in the similar price range such as Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX-5

Mazda CX-5 design is good but the trunk space is smaller than Kia Sorento and Nissan Rogue and I am worry about their rust issue as well

For Nissan Rogue, everything looks good but there is no turbo or V6 and they r changing design for 2021.

Arr....decision decision decision...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
61 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
This is not my favourite segment, because everything is flawed, some are seriously flawed. Although the Sorento is technically a class larger than a CX-5 and Nissan Rogue, I guess the Kia Sportage you didn't like its looks.

Easiest to eliminate is Nissan Rogue, there's a lot terrible about it from how slow it is, how cheaply made it is, how awful it is to drive, etc. Its only tolerable if you get a massive sale on it and even then its the sort of vehicle you want to dump after 1-2 years. If Nissan still haven't got their CVT problems resolved, then this will be affected.

Sorento, its an alright car. If you wish to avoid the 2.4L Kia-Hyundai engine scandal, then avoid any trim with this engine. It leaves you with the 2.0L turbo and the V6, of the two engines I've seen less issues with the V6.

Mazda CX-5 for me is the most tolerable of this group. Least practical however it easily drives better than the other two and a few others. Its no power house but its 2.5L is way better than Nissan's 2.5. However even it is not immune, the biggest worry with this one is going to be that automatic transmission.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes
JeganV wrote: This is not my favourite segment, because everything is flawed, some are seriously flawed. Although the Sorento is technically a class larger than a CX-5 and Nissan Rogue, I guess the Kia Sportage you didn't like its looks.

Easiest to eliminate is Nissan Rogue, there's a lot terrible about it from how slow it is, how cheaply made it is, how awful it is to drive, etc. Its only tolerable if you get a massive sale on it and even then its the sort of vehicle you want to dump after 1-2 years. If Nissan still haven't got their CVT problems resolved, then this will be affected.

Sorento, its an alright car. If you wish to avoid the 2.4L Kia-Hyundai engine scandal, then avoid any trim with this engine. It leaves you with the 2.0L turbo and the V6, of the two engines I've seen less issues with the V6.

Mazda CX-5 for me is the most tolerable of this group. Least practical however it easily drives better than the other two and a few others. Its no power house but its 2.5L is way better than Nissan's 2.5. However even it is not immune, the biggest worry with this one is going to be that automatic transmission.
Yes i am looking at the Kia Sorento EX which is V6 engine.

Wow, I didnt know there is so many negative about Nissan Rogue. I like CX-5 n did test drive the GT turbo but the cargo space is small compare to Rogue and Sorento.

Thx for sharing..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2682 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga
Nissan Rouge - Stay Far Away!!!

Kia Sorrento, get the V6, the 2.4L has the issues and it's very "under power" But my cousin has a 2018 V6 with 57k km on it without a problem except for normal maintanance done to it so far.

Mazda CX-5. I can't comment on it as I've never driven one or know someone with one
Newbie
Jun 23, 2018
3 posts
Maybe wait a few months for the 2021 Sorrento pretty much new design from the ground up and it looks great
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes
win-star wrote: Nissan Rouge - Stay Far Away!!!

Kia Sorrento, get the V6, the 2.4L has the issues and it's very "under power" But my cousin has a 2018 V6 with 57k km on it without a problem except for normal maintanance done to it so far.

Mazda CX-5. I can't comment on it as I've never driven one or know someone with one
Why stay away from Nissan Rogue? I was told Rogue is #1 SUV in the market

I see more Rogue than CX-5 on the road

Hmm
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6786 posts
2546 upvotes
BC
kiasu wrote: Why stay away from Nissan Rogue?
..............
Because it's part of the RFD mantra.

There is no doubt that the CX-5 is a better driving vehicle, but many CUV buyers think interior volume is the important attribute.

And the ergonomics or 'feel' of the cabin, including rear seat legroom. They might even overlook excessive use of hard plastics.

But let's be honest - price is a huge factor and that explains why the Rogue sells so well. Suits rental companies too. Applies in the U.S. even more.
Newbie
Oct 18, 2013
60 posts
47 upvotes
JeganV wrote: This is not my favourite segment, because everything is flawed, some are seriously flawed. Although the Sorento is technically a class larger than a CX-5 and Nissan Rogue, I guess the Kia Sportage you didn't like its looks.

Easiest to eliminate is Nissan Rogue, there's a lot terrible about it from how slow it is, how cheaply made it is, how awful it is to drive, etc. Its only tolerable if you get a massive sale on it and even then its the sort of vehicle you want to dump after 1-2 years. If Nissan still haven't got their CVT problems resolved, then this will be affected.

Sorento, its an alright car. If you wish to avoid the 2.4L Kia-Hyundai engine scandal, then avoid any trim with this engine. It leaves you with the 2.0L turbo and the V6, of the two engines I've seen less issues with the V6.

Mazda CX-5 for me is the most tolerable of this group. Least practical however it easily drives better than the other two and a few others. Its no power house but its 2.5L is way better than Nissan's 2.5. However even it is not immune, the biggest worry with this one is going to be that automatic transmission.
[/quote

Sorry, I disagree with the comments made regarding the Nissan Rogue. Can't comment on the Mazda and Kia because I have never driven nor owned their CUVs.

Comments such the handling, performance, interior finish and noise level of a vehicle are based on subjective individual likes and dislikes. Each purchaser will have their own list of needs and priorities. My suggestion is to test drive the vehicles on your list and make your own decision based on what works for you. Do your own research because "Facts" matter. For example, there is a higher incidence of CVT failure with 1st generation Rogues vs 2nd Rogues. Research and see how accurate my statement is....

I have previously owned a 2016 Nissan Rogue and presently own a 2019 Rogue because it fits "my" needs especially with regard to driver assistance/safety features, ride comfort and cargo space. No reliability issues... just routine maintenance with oil changes and brakes with both vehicles.

I see buying a car is similar to buying shoes. Try them on and see if it fits.
Newbie
Oct 18, 2013
60 posts
47 upvotes
My post got stuck into the above ... below are my comments.


Sorry, I disagree with the comments made regarding the Nissan Rogue. Can't comment on the Mazda and Kia because I have never driven nor owned their CUVs.

Comments such the handling, performance, interior finish and noise level of a vehicle are based on subjective individual likes and dislikes. Each purchaser will have their own list of needs and priorities. My suggestion is to test drive the vehicles on your list and make your own decision based on what works for you. Do your own research because "Facts" matter. For example, there is a higher incidence of CVT failure with 1st generation Rogues vs 2nd Rogues. Research and see how accurate my statement is....

I have previously owned a 2016 Nissan Rogue and presently own a 2019 Rogue because it fits "my" needs especially with regard to driver assistance/safety features, ride comfort and cargo space. No reliability issues... just routine maintenance with oil changes and brakes with both vehicles.

I see buying a car is similar to buying shoes. Try them on and see if it fits.
Newbie
Oct 18, 2013
60 posts
47 upvotes
The article references comments made from Ghosn's lawyer. It states that Ghosn made these comments during a 10 hour interview just before he skipped bail and illegally left Japan after being arrested for corporate crimes. Ghosn provided no facts to back his statement regarding bankruptcy.

Its best to rely on corporate reports and stock price movement before passing judgement on the fate of Nissan.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1220 posts
775 upvotes
East of Toronto
From Consumer Reports, all 3 are "recommended" vehicles.

Image
Image
Image
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
19260 posts
2944 upvotes
Woodbridge
Easily the Mazda CX-5.

My regret recommending the Nissan Rogue to my father, the CVT failed IIRC within a year. He had suspension problems after warranty was over, shocking and other little things.

Having said that, the 2021 is a whole new platform I heard and does look very impressive.

Why not the Murano? The new slight changes looks even better, love the front end more.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2019
808 posts
668 upvotes
If you wait a few months, there is a brand new 2021 Kia Sorento that is a redesign. Same with the 2021 Nissan Rogue. Both you can see what the inside and exterior looks like now as information has been released. Nissan Rogue has gotten a better interior. The engine is 95% new for the Rogue with 5% being the CVT that is not new. Now, Nissan has continuously seen an increase in reliability over the years. We first saw poor reliability in the first couple of generations in their vehicles but the stats on Consumer Reports and JD power shows that reliability is now in the 70's score. This is a similar trajectory for Kia and Hyundai.

It is hard for previous owners of Nissan, Kia, and Hyundai owners who had those first couples of generation vehicles that aren't that reliable, to change their minds/outlook on the newer generations since their last ownership of the brand. This is expected as it takes years, if not decades, to get the mindset that those brands are reliable like Toyota or Honda. Honda's reliability recently has been decreasing though.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1067 posts
1182 upvotes
Depending on trim, I believe CX-5 has cylinder deactivation that cannot be disabled, lots of complaints online and recalls.

If you have to buy now and can't wait for MY2021, then my rec would be CX-5 without cylinder deactivation. Obviously, if leasing, it doesn't matter. Every make and model has their pros/cons so just need to find the one that fits your needs/wants best.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes
maryray wrote:
thank you..

actually I got a quote of around $2200 discount on 2020 Rogue SL with lifetime oil change free...the MRSP included taxes is $45305...
how much discount did u get from yours if u don't mind I ask?
I am thinking to push for more discount like $3k to $4k
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
maryray wrote: My post got stuck into the above ... below are my comments.


Sorry, I disagree with the comments made regarding the Nissan Rogue. Can't comment on the Mazda and Kia because I have never driven nor owned their CUVs.

Comments such the handling, performance, interior finish and noise level of a vehicle are based on subjective individual likes and dislikes. Each purchaser will have their own list of needs and priorities. My suggestion is to test drive the vehicles on your list and make your own decision based on what works for you. Do your own research because "Facts" matter. For example, there is a higher incidence of CVT failure with 1st generation Rogues vs 2nd Rogues. Research and see how accurate my statement is....

I have previously owned a 2016 Nissan Rogue and presently own a 2019 Rogue because it fits "my" needs especially with regard to driver assistance/safety features, ride comfort and cargo space. No reliability issues... just routine maintenance with oil changes and brakes with both vehicles.

I see buying a car is similar to buying shoes. Try them on and see if it fits.
You can discount my comment any day it is your right. There is one giant difference between you and me though. I've driven these and seen these vehicles in service because of my job since 2008. As you noted you've never driven the other two, I have, in fact I've driven almost the whole segment this generation and roughly up to 2-3 generations back. Heck I even drove a 2020 Rogue today and still stick by how terrible the vehicle is. The list of what I haven't driven is shorter than what I have. From a Nissan Micra to the BMW X3/Audi Q5 level of vehicles I've driven probably 85% of the models of every make.

When I make a judgement about how awful it is to drive, this is up against at least 200 different vehicle models. I'm not a car reviewer and I've likely driven less models than a proper full time one, but the amount I drive is quite close. And when you've driven this many different vehicles, you get more judgemental especially if you like cars because they're not all the same, not even close. The problem I have with this statement of "I see buying a car is similar to buying shoes. Try them on and see if it fits.", cars aren't shoes, there's significantly more to them than what fits, a bad shoe is disposable and inconsequential, a bad car can ruin your wallet and if it performs poorly, it can get you killed.
Member
Jun 5, 2007
335 posts
327 upvotes
Shangri-La
maryray wrote: The article references comments made from Ghosn's lawyer. It states that Ghosn made these comments during a 10 hour interview just before he skipped bail and illegally left Japan after being arrested for corporate crimes. Ghosn provided no facts to back his statement regarding bankruptcy.

Its best to rely on corporate reports and stock price movement before passing judgement on the fate of Nissan.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/29/nis ... osn-anger/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6066 upvotes
Avoid Nissan at all costs

As for Kia vs Mazda, If you can live with smaller room in Mazda, it's a better vehicle for handling, interior design and quality. But the cx-5 is a bit long in the tooth especially the infotainment

Just avoid Nissan, mechanically very poor track record, cheap materials for interior and drives like a rental fleet discount special. It's like a Corolla without the reliability or residuals
Newbie
Oct 18, 2013
60 posts
47 upvotes
JeganV wrote: You can discount my comment any day it is your right. There is one giant difference between you and me though. I've driven these and seen these vehicles in service because of my job since 2008. As you noted you've never driven the other two, I have, in fact I've driven almost the whole segment this generation and roughly up to 2-3 generations back. Heck I even drove a 2020 Rogue today and still stick by how terrible the vehicle is. The list of what I haven't driven is shorter than what I have. From a Nissan Micra to the BMW X3/Audi Q5 level of vehicles I've driven probably 85% of the models of every make.

When I make a judgement about how awful it is to drive, this is up against at least 200 different vehicle models. I'm not a car reviewer and I've likely driven less models than a proper full time one, but the amount I drive is quite close. And when you've driven this many different vehicles, you get more judgemental especially if you like cars because they're not all the same, not even close. The problem I have with this statement of "I see buying a car is similar to buying shoes. Try them on and see if it fits.", cars aren't shoes, there's significantly more to them than what fits, a bad shoe is disposable and inconsequential, a bad car can ruin your wallet and if it performs poorly, it can get you killed.
Hi JeganV

I would like to apologize to you if you feel that i have offended or discounted your comments. It was not my intention to cause this reaction to you. Actually, I'm grateful and value your's and all other comments because it takes time and effort to put thoughts into words and then sharing these comments into an open forum. I have gained helpful insight into car repair and purchasing strategies because of information sharing in RFD.

Essentially, you don't like the Rogue and I like the Rogue. My opinion is based on my own personal likes/dislikes and experience with this CUV. I would encourage all readers to investigate my comments with their own research and test drive. I referred to the "Shoe" as a cute closing comment and not to be taken literally. So an alternative closing comment "Please Test Drive the Vehicle to Make Sure It Fits Your Own Needs".

Respectfully submitted for clarification:)

Top