2020 MAZDA CX-5 WITH TURBO DIESEL

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2019 8:13 pm
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1033 posts
1821 upvotes
Overpriced and fuel economy figures are not impressive at all. Plus you need to add adblue which factors in additional costs long term.

I don’t know if it’s because of stringent emissions here but the same model they have for the European market doesn’t require Adblue.

I remember they had a video saying that Mazda diesels were so clean it didn’t require after treatment system:

Guess not
Aug 7, 2017
518 posts
795 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote: Overpriced and fuel economy figures are not impressive at all. Plus you need to add adblue which factors in additional costs long term.
Yeah I guess Mazda didn't get the news about electrification being the next big thing. Weird.

On the "adblue", the proper term is "Diesel Effluent Fluid" or DEF and you can buy 10L for $20 in Canadian Tire. It's easy to refill yourself or just let your dealer do it with servicing for a few bucks. If the Mazda consumption is anything like my old VW SUV you might need to do it once a year if you drive a lot (I do about 50k). Not really a major consideration.
Nov 2, 2007
346 posts
79 upvotes
bya1998 wrote: Yeah I guess Mazda didn't get the news about electrification being the next big thing. Weird.

On the "adblue", the proper term is "Diesel Effluent Fluid" or DEF and you can buy 10L for $20 in Canadian Tire. It's easy to refill yourself or just let your dealer do it with servicing for a few bucks. If the Mazda consumption is anything like my old VW SUV you might need to do it once a year if you drive a lot (I do about 50k). Not really a major consideration.
And the proper, proper term is "Diesel Exhaust Fluid."
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1033 posts
1821 upvotes
bya1998 wrote:
You’re already paying 5 grand premium over the 2.5T gas engine and yet you still have to spend more on DEF. What would be the point of that. And this is RFD every penny counts. People even want to save a buck on windshield washer fluid.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3133 posts
1307 upvotes
I believe Mazda can't meet European's current real world on the road WLTP diesel emission test without adblue.
Mazda CX-5 gets AdBlue system to cut NOx. Mazda UK has updated the CX-5's 2.2-litre diesel engines in line with the facelifted Mazda6, adding NOx-reducing Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) ...
https://fleetworld.co.uk/mazda-cx-5-die ... injection/

IIRC German automakers dialed back Adblue usages, at the expense of much worse NOx emission.
What happened?

Volkswagen installed emissions software on more than a half-million diesel cars in the U.S.—and roughly 10.5 million more worldwide—that allows them to sense the unique parameters of an emissions drive cycle set by the Environmental Protection Agency. According to the EPA and the California Air Resources Board, which were tipped off by researchers in 2014, these so-called “defeat devices” detect steering, throttle, and other inputs used in the test to switch between two distinct operating modes.

In the test mode, the cars are fully compliant with all federal emissions levels. But when driving normally, the computer switches to a separate mode—significantly changing the fuel pressure, injection timing, exhaust-gas recirculation, and, in models with AdBlue, the amount of urea fluid sprayed into the exhaust. While this mode likely delivers higher mileage and power, it also permits heavier nitrogen-oxide emissions (NOx)—a smog-forming pollutant linked to lung cancer—up to 40 times higher than the federal limit.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1533 ... s-scandal/
... European Union alleges that BMW, Daimler, and Volkswagen conspired to cheat on emissions in two ways. The companies delayed the implementation of particulate filters on gasoline engines and agreed to limit the size of the AdBlue urea tanks on diesel engines. [...]

[T]he German automakers agreed to limit the size of the DEF tanks in cars. This would allow for easier packaging in vehicles designs, and the agreement would prevent competition in terms of tank size. To ensure that the refill intervals of these tanks would be at longer intervals (thus reducing the annoyance to the buyer), the automakers agreed to limit the use of the fluid. According to an Autocar report from when the investigation began in 2017, the SCR systems would only work in a certain range to prevent excessive consumption. That would result in higher-than-allowed emissions ...
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... dieselgate
Last edited by Bb0231 on Jul 25th, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2372 posts
3008 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote:
I remember they had a video saying that Mazda diesels were so clean it didn’t require after treatment system:
There's no such thing as a clean diesel engine. But I'd like to be proven wrong...
Oct 23, 2017
90 posts
118 upvotes
They have had problems with this engine in other regions, just saying.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
billford wrote: There's no such thing as a clean diesel engine. But I'd like to be proven wrong...
not 100% clean but cleaner than a gasoline engine, i would take that bet. modern diesels have a ton of emissions systems on them.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3133 posts
1307 upvotes
Mazda's 2.2 diesel engine still emits up to 210% harmful emission of European limit even with SCR (Adblue), there's no way it would be cleaner than any gasoline engine that meet Euro 6 standard.

https://www.fleeteurope.com/fr/new-ener ... ide&curl=1

https://www.mazda-press.com/eu/news/201 ... compliant/
Last edited by Bb0231 on Jul 25th, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1247 posts
770 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
I was hoping with this engine they'd bring the new infotainement :(
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2372 posts
3008 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote: not 100% clean but cleaner than a gasoline engine, i would take that bet. modern diesels have a ton of emissions systems on them.
I'm just talking about the diesel engine itself, not the after treatment emission systems. The engines themselves are still as dirty as ever.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3800 posts
1275 upvotes
Diesel days are over. With strict emissions they have so much emission overhead that they are not practical anymore.

Diesel is dead.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
I was waiting for the diesel back in 2017, but then decided to go with the 2.5 cuz coming soon took only forever....

I achieve the same mileage as the diesel so not seeing the point in anybody upgrading to this engine. It can tow more, but then you should probably look at a different vehicle.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12891 posts
13085 upvotes
I have tested 2.5T and Diesel back to back on this year's Mazda country tour.

I prefer 2.5T. I'm sure the diesel will have better mileage but it's definitely not as engaging. And definitely not paying $5K more for it.
Feb 7, 2008
966 posts
358 upvotes
Okanagan
The reason I was thinking diesel is to tow my boat which with trailer is about 3k lbs.
However, the price of 5k premium and no changes to infotainment (which kind of sux) makes me to reconsider into something else.
Unfortunately, there is not too much choice in mid size suv (cx5, crv, rav4 etc) which can pull 3.5k lbs.
It is not that I'm pulling boat all the time but would be nice to have this option in mid size.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12891 posts
13085 upvotes
verby wrote: The reason I was thinking diesel is to tow my boat which with trailer is about 3k lbs.
However, the price of 5k premium and no changes to infotainment (which kind of sux) makes me to reconsider into something else.
Unfortunately, there is not too much choice in mid size suv (cx5, crv, rav4 etc) which can pull 3.5k lbs.
It is not that I'm pulling boat all the time but would be nice to have this option in mid size.
Jeep Cherokee with 3.2L Pentastar and Tow package and pull 2000kg.

Also has the best (IMHO) head unit in the biz.

It's not hard to fetch one at year end sales fully loaded mid to high 30s.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
verby wrote:
that's because none of those are SUVs and none are built for towing. get a proper tow vehicle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)