• Aug 23rd, 2019 11:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1920 posts
1425 upvotes
GTA West

2020 Soul EX - Alternatives at this Price Point

Looking for a new car for my wife. The 2020 Soul EX seems to have a lot going for it at under $23,000 MSRP, including a full set of safety features such as LKA, Blind Spot warning, etc. My wife is short and the Soul seems to be easy to get into for her and she likes the bright colours they have. Right now there is 2.99% lease rate here in ON. This seems to be a well-liked vehicle with a decent warranty (5 yrs/100k).

I haven't looked at vehicles in this segment for years. Any opinions and alternatives at this price point would be appreciated. And what kind of deals are people getting on this model? We pretty much want all the features on the EX, not a base model.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2694 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
Nope there's no a great deal of choice here. If you like the whole package of the Soul it's probably your only consideration.

Kia Soul entry height sits between normal cars and CUVs. This along with its box shape in a compact form factor are things only shared by its fellow box cars but both the Nissan Cube and the Scion xb were discontinued years ago. So on that stuff it's the only game in town.

Bright colour choices are extremely rare these days. The majority of cars have dreadful colour choices. Only the micro cars and Jeep Wrangler have a diverse choice of colours. Most other cars there might be a standout colour like the Corolla hatchback's Blue flame colour in a sea of less interesting ones. Nissan Qashqai is one of the few that has a bright Orange and Green but I wouldn't recommend the car.

On pricing CUVs all lose except the Nissan kicks but it's also no good. Regular hatchbacks are the only things to match pricing. On the safety equipment, only Toyota will provide it's full safety suite for base models as standard. Thus all things considered the Corolla hatchback is probably the only one that closest fits as many things to a Soul based on what you consider important.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16678 posts
15034 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup the soul sits in an interesting segment with no real competition. My brother had one and liked how practical it was.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27403 posts
3896 upvotes
Montreal
2020 soul EV! Eligible for the federal rebate!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35722 posts
21805 upvotes
Center of Universe
His about the Tuscon?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2694 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote: His about the Tuscon?
Significantly more expensive. Bare bones essential trim lacks a lot of features that you must add. Preferred trim is bare minimum but will put OP with a $5k deficit over a Soul. Plus colour choices are pretty bad Aqua blue is ok but the rest of the colours are very boring.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35722 posts
21805 upvotes
Center of Universe
JeganV wrote: Significantly more expensive. Bare bones essential trim lacks a lot of features that you must add. Preferred trim is bare minimum but will put OP with a $5k deficit over a Soul. Plus colour choices are pretty bad Aqua blue is ok but the rest of the colours are very boring.
The preferred trim comes with AWD and most of the nanny features...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29353 posts
9941 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: 2020 soul EV! Eligible for the federal rebate!
You guys in Quebec still have a provincial rebate though right? That's gone bye-bye in Ontario so the federal rebate on its own is really not good enough as it makes this vehicle a nearly-$40k vehicle compared to the GT Limited (the most expensive trim) $30k. Given the OP is looking at the EX though, that's only $23k. Let's say $2k/yr in gasoline costs...would take about 6-7 years to make up the difference in cost.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2694 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
derass wrote: I would think sub-compact CUV's would be comparable. Here's 15 examples from the segment. Interestingly, the Soul is in there.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ran ... mpact-suvs
Technically yes, but almost all of those are more expensive and less practical. Kicks is the exception, but that thing is cheap for a reason. The value from these subcompact CUVs is terrible and should be avoided unless one must buy this specific niche. The Soul on the other hand is practical and decently priced with it's specific form factor, hence why I can't really fault it. It's that weird car that can satisfy young and old.
vkizzle wrote: The preferred trim comes with AWD and most of the nanny features...
As I noted if you read my response to you but I must correct you again AWD is an optional extra in this trim. Only Subaru does AWD as standard equipment. You're telling the OP to pay significantly more for this car over a Soul. It's not a good choice here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35722 posts
21805 upvotes
Center of Universe
JeganV wrote: Technically yes, but almost all of those are more expensive and less practical. Kicks is the exception, but that thing is cheap for a reason. The value from these subcompact CUVs is terrible and should be avoided unless one must buy this specific niche. The Soul on the other hand is practical and decently priced with it's specific form factor, hence why I can't really fault it. It's that weird car that can satisfy young and old.

As I noted if you read my response to you but I must correct you again AWD is an optional extra in this trim. Only Subaru does AWD as standard equipment. You're telling the OP to pay significantly more for this car over a Soul. It's not a good choice here.
Well, that's your opinion.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4310 posts
4466 upvotes
GTA
JeganV wrote: Technically yes, but almost all of those are more expensive and less practical. Kicks is the exception, but that thing is cheap for a reason. The value from these subcompact CUVs is terrible and should be avoided unless one must buy this specific niche. The Soul on the other hand is practical and decently priced with it's specific form factor, hence why I can't really fault it. It's that weird car that can satisfy young and old.
How is the Soul any more practical than those other options?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2694 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote: Well, that's your opinion.
Indeed it is. If OP is like me $5k extra isn't chump change.
derass wrote: How is the Soul any more practical than those other options?
Simple it's a cube, cargo volume is massive despite how small it is. A Kona for example has about 1300 liters in volume, Soul has 1700. You need a bigger CUV to match a Soul here like a Tuscon.

Old Scion xB was bigger than the Soul and to match it's cargo volume you needed massive stuff like the Subaru Outback or Toyota Venza to match cargo capacity. Typical CUV lose a lot of cargo volume due to the hatchback particularly the notch.

It's why minivans are so practical. Soul is just a severely shrunken one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35722 posts
21805 upvotes
Center of Universe
JeganV wrote: Indeed it is. If OP is like me $5k extra isn't chump change.

Simple it's a cube, cargo volume is massive despite how small it is. A Kona for example has about 1300 liters in volume, Soul has 1700. You need a bigger CUV to match a Soul here like a Tuscon.

Old Scion xB was bigger than the Soul and to match it's cargo volume you needed massive stuff like the Subaru Outback or Toyota Venza to match cargo capacity. Typical CUV lose a lot of cargo volume due to the hatchback particularly the notch.

It's why minivans are so practical. Soul is just a severely shrunken one.
OP is leasing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1920 posts
1425 upvotes
GTA West
vkizzle wrote: OP is leasing.
We would buy it out after the lease ends, if we still like the vehicle and it has no problems. So the $5k differential for a Tucson is significant.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54676 posts
19490 upvotes
My cousin in BC loves his Soul EV. I think you there's a new model released with bigger batteries.

$23k is very reasonable.

People buy the Soul for practically and not the looks. I wonder why Honda got rid of the Element.
Jun 23, 2005
347 posts
181 upvotes
Hamilton
I have a 2016 Soul base as my daily. I bought it because I wanted a cheap commuter with a manual transmission. I like the car, but couldn't recommend one due to the troubles I've had with it, far above what I would expect with 50k on it. That said, the car is good for the price. I feel like I just got a lemon of one.

1. Had an issue over months with the car dying on the highway intermittently. It had a ton of parts replaced to attempt to fix. Ended up being the fuel line between the fuel pumps that would kink under load and cause the car to go into limp mode until power cycled. Attached is a calendar showing the first half of 2018 listing the problems. Red days are when I had an issue, grey are days the car was at the dealer. There were a couple weeks I had no loaner/rental because the dealer was tired of dealing with me. Kia Canada wouldn't do anything because I started a CAMVAP claim against them.
2. Catalytic converter clogged causing back-pressure to go through the roof and required replacement of engine. So new engine in under 50k on the car.

The comments about storage should note that it can change due to the seats. The storage with the rear seats in seating position is lacking, the trunk portion is pretty small. With the seats down, it can carry quite a bit though.
❗
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1920 posts
1425 upvotes
GTA West
k7 avenger wrote: I have a 2016 Soul base as my daily. I bought it because I wanted a cheap commuter with a manual transmission. I like the car, but couldn't recommend one due to the troubles I've had with it, far above what I would expect with 50k on it. That said, the car is good for the price. I feel like I just got a lemon of one.

1. Had an issue over months with the car dying on the highway intermittently. It had a ton of parts replaced to attempt to fix. Ended up being the fuel line between the fuel pumps that would kink under load and cause the car to go into limp mode until power cycled. Attached is a calendar showing the first half of 2018 listing the problems. Red days are when I had an issue, grey are days the car was at the dealer. There were a couple weeks I had no loaner/rental because the dealer was tired of dealing with me. Kia Canada wouldn't do anything because I started a CAMVAP claim against them.
2. Catalytic converter clogged causing back-pressure to go through the roof and required replacement of engine. So new engine in under 50k on the car.

The comments about storage should note that it can change due to the seats. The storage with the rear seats in seating position is lacking, the trunk portion is pretty small. With the seats down, it can carry quite a bit though.
Bad luck indeed. It is hard to make a car decision on a story like this, since every make has its share of lemony vehicles. In general, the last couple of years have been better than average for this car, based on the Consumers Reports surveys. I am more concerned about this being the first year of a new model.

I saw the 2020 Soul EX on a rental lot and got a good deal for 3 days, so we can give it a good road test. My wife liked it immediately and found a comfortable driving position, and said the car felt very natural to her. In contrast, when we got a CR-V a couple of years ago she complained about it for a long time.

So it looks like we are on the way to getting one soon. I expect to start with "Unhaggle", but I wonder if anyone has a recent experience buying a Soul??