Automotive

2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2019 2:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3433 posts
1560 upvotes
Canada

2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid

What do you guys think of he 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid? From what I have read it comes with the Prius engine and gets around 120 HP, where the base (non-Hybrid) Corolla gets around 130 HP, so the Hybrid is a little slower. The Hybrid also costs a few thousand $ more, but gets over 50 MPG. Looks are nice too, except for the placement of the infotainment system, seems to stick out like a sore thumb.

Thoughts?
109 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3995 posts
2418 upvotes
Ontario
Saw a new Auris wagon hybrid on Monday. Taxidriver was showing under hood. Auris is the european nameplate for the Corolla Hatchback and Estate. Nice decent size vehicle but wont get wagon here.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54411 posts
19259 upvotes
I would go for a Toyota hybrid over the regular ICEV.

Fewer mechanical components to break down and this is a Toyota.

Will likely outlast any BEV out there and still cost less to maintain.

Looks much better on the inside and outside compared to a Prius.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 6, 2017
960 posts
498 upvotes
Manitoba
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Saw a new Auris wagon hybrid on Monday. Taxidriver was showing under hood. Auris is the european nameplate for the Corolla Hatchback and Estate. Nice decent size vehicle but wont get wagon here.
If they did sell the wagon in NA, I'd be sold.
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3995 posts
2418 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote: I would go for a Toyota hybrid over the regular ICEV.

Fewer mechanical components to break down and this is a Toyota.

Will likely outlast any BEV out there and still cost less to maintain.

Looks much better on the inside and outside compared to a Prius.
Please explain how a hybrid vehicle has fewer mechanical components than a regular gas model. It has hybrid components plus ICE components.

Will outlast any BEV - this is pure conjecture surely.

Will cost less to maintain than a BEV - this statement is false and is born of Toyota FANtasy rather than objective reasoning.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Jr. Member
Jun 23, 2017
194 posts
105 upvotes
what is the best rate you guys got for the Corolla 2020 hybrid in Ontario for leasing?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 23, 2008
5670 posts
1432 upvotes
Milton
I'm fan of the Corolla Hybrid Hatchback. Seems like a fun daily/commuting car.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3433 posts
1560 upvotes
Canada
ninjasmilez11 wrote: what is the best rate you guys got for the Corolla 2020 hybrid in Ontario for leasing?
Are they even available in dealerships yet?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1311 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Please explain how a hybrid vehicle has fewer mechanical components than a regular gas model. It has hybrid components plus ICE components.

Will outlast any BEV - this is pure conjecture surely.

Will cost less to maintain than a BEV - this statement is false and is born of Toyota FANtasy rather than objective reasoning.
On point. Hybrid is only good if you actually drive a TON.. otherwise not worth it
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54411 posts
19259 upvotes
Response: My 02 Civic is 17 years old and still alive. How many Teslas are going to be 17 years old and kicking in 2029? We are not even talking about the cost of ownership (repairs) down the road where I have spent minimal on my Civic.

As long as the engine and transmission last 20 years, of course a hybrid will last much longer than a less reliable BEV, all other car components remain the same. Toyota's hybrid has the eCVT which is a much simpler planetary gear design.



Please explain how a hybrid vehicle has fewer mechanical components than a regular gas model. It has hybrid components plus ICE components.

Will outlast any BEV - this is pure conjecture surely.

Will cost less to maintain than a BEV - this statement is false and is born of Toyota FANtasy rather than objective reasoning.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3433 posts
1560 upvotes
Canada
Electrah wrote: On point. Hybrid is only good if you actually drive a TON.. otherwise not worth it
I did the math and based on the amount of driving I do, the difference in price between the hybrid and non-hybrid (approx. $4000), I'd need to keep the car 10-12 years to break even.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3433 posts
1560 upvotes
Canada
alanbrenton wrote: Response: My 02 Civic is 17 years old and still alive. How many Teslas are going to be 17 years old and kicking in 2029? We are not even talking about the cost of ownership (repairs) down the road where I have spent minimal on my Civic.

As long as the engine and transmission last 20 years, of course a hybrid will last much longer than a less reliable BEV, all other car components remain the same. Toyota's hybrid has the eCVT which is a much simpler planetary gear design.



Please explain how a hybrid vehicle has fewer mechanical components than a regular gas model. It has hybrid components plus ICE components.

Will outlast any BEV - this is pure conjecture surely.

Will cost less to maintain than a BEV - this statement is false and is born of Toyota FANtasy rather than objective reasoning.
So do you anticipate Toyota hybrid's being less reliable than non-hybrid Toyota's?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54411 posts
19259 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote: So do you anticipate Toyota hybrid's being less reliable than non-hybrid Toyota's?
No. I already mentioned the hybrids have fewer mechanical components (no starter and alternator, easier cold weather starts too) as they are electrical in nature like the HVAC, water pump. I didn't know about the advantages until I read them up on RAV4World as we did go for the 16 RAV4H back in 2016.

I'm just suggesting to Martin who is a BEV fanatic that a well built ICEV or hybrid can easily outlast many BEVs out there because the main difference is the engine and transmission and for my 02 Civic, 11 Accord and 16 RAV4H, we've not had any issues on those components.

If I was in the market this year, it would be another Toyota hybrid as it seems the fuel economy during winter doesn't take as large a hit as Honda hybrids (checked edmunds for some reviews) but I will wait for Toyota to deliver its BEVs with solid state battery and pick one up as early as 2023/24 or when my Civic passes away.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1611 posts
1167 upvotes
Toronto
Toyota Corolla hybrid in Canada just comes in sedan model ( be nice if you could get hybrid hatchback like in Europe ).
Newbie
Apr 7, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
Test drove it, I like it a lot. Cost of gas calculation should take into account (1) it is a Toyota and you or your family will still be driving it in 15 years and (2) the cost of gas will be two to three times as much in fifteen years.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2011
1614 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
Good luck OP!

There might have been a few around a month or longer ago, but these days the supply of Corolla Hybrid is actual an order of magnitude worse than even the supply of the RAV4 Hybrid which is abysmal.

Get ready to wait for a very long time for your order unless you luck out and find one of the half dozen in the province that are unsold.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19652 posts
7771 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: I would go for a Toyota hybrid over the regular ICEV.

Fewer mechanical components to break down and this is a Toyota.

Will likely outlast any BEV out there and still cost less to maintain.

Looks much better on the inside and outside compared to a Prius.
How so? You have an internal combustion engine and all the parts and associated maintenance. On top you have a battery/generator/motor and associated maintenance which is additive to looking after the internal combustion engine. The BEVs when mature should be the most reliable. I won't spend any money buying a new car with an internal combustion engine at this point in time.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54411 posts
19259 upvotes
will888 wrote: How so? You have an internal combustion engine and all the parts and associated maintenance. On top you have a battery/generator/motor and associated maintenance which is additive to looking after the internal combustion engine. The BEVs when mature should be the most reliable. I won't spend any money buying a new car with an internal combustion engine at this point in time.
Read my post another time so you don't have to ask again lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3995 posts
2418 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote:
I'm just suggesting to Martin who is a BEV fanatic that a well built ICEV or hybrid can easily outlast many BEVs out there because the main difference is the engine and transmission and for my 02 Civic, 11 Accord and 16 RAV4H, we've not had any issues on those components.
BTW I have a Toyota Hybrid as well as a BEV, although I bought mine new in 2006 when it was the latest technology not 10 years later when BEVs are the latest technology - promising better efficiency, cleanliness, performance, smoothness and reliability.

I would say I was a BEV advocate not a fanatic. I would not buy any BEV just because it was a BEV, and I would certainly not buy a vehicle just because it had a Toyota badge on it, or dream about a BEV they might make in 5 yrs.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"

Top