2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2019 2:01 am
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1573 posts
1392 upvotes
Toronto
LDN2012 wrote: why would they spin it as a safety issue over a supply issue? One seems like a much worser perception (the braking) than the other.
Seems much more like a progressive quality control issue rather than a safety issue.

I've heard of all types of different problems at Toyota and never even once have I heard even a whisper of braking issues on hybrids.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3894 posts
2346 upvotes
Ontario
xjesterxx wrote: Seems much more like a progressive quality control issue rather than a safety issue.

I've heard of all types of different problems at Toyota and never even once have I heard even a whisper of braking issues on hybrids.
Well you have now....

Brakes on my 07 Camry Hybrid were replaced prematurely by Toyota due to a known issue.

Loss of regenerative braking going over bumps/potholes has been an issue since new. Toyota says it is normal operation.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3894 posts
2346 upvotes
Ontario
VanIsleGuy wrote: This article says “Corolla hatch”. The hatch is not available in North America in the hybrid version.
The hatch has a large area under the trunk deck that holds a spare tire so I would think a hatchback hybrid will come to NA in time.

Daughter will be getting a Corolla hybrid hatch in a few weeks so I will find out more about battery layout. Battery is under trunk in 2.0L hybrid I am told. Hopefully trunk deck will still be flush with seat backs when folded down.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14618 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
Just got the 2020 Corolla Hybrid and it’s an excellent car. The number of features it has is incredible and the fuel economy is outstanding. You can get around 1000km range on a $45 tank of fuel. I got a total discount of $2400 after getting a discount on freight and other fees on top of a vehicle discount.

Also it seems the car is made in Japan for this trim and model year so I’m hopeful that the workmanship is top notch.
Images
  • 6D7BB864-49C9-490D-9E61-2A3C113BC0AB.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3894 posts
2346 upvotes
Ontario
wilsonlam97 wrote: Just got the 2020 Corolla Hybrid and it’s an excellent car. The number of features it has is incredible and the fuel economy is outstanding. You can get around 1000km range on a $45 tank of fuel. I got a total discount of $2400 after getting a discount on freight and other fees on top of a vehicle discount.

Also it seems the car is made in Japan for this trim and model year so I’m hopeful that the workmanship is top notch.
Congratulations. Very nice vehicle and efficient too. Great choice.

I think the chance of having issues is more related to it being a new model than where it is built. My Camry Hybrid was built in Japan and it must have been a Monday morning.

Are you able to shed any light on reported delays in sales due to brake issues?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14618 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Congratulations. Very nice vehicle and efficient too. Great choice.

I think the chance of having issues is more related to it being a new model than where it is built. My Camry Hybrid was built in Japan and it must have been a Monday morning.

Are you able to shed any light on reported delays in sales due to brake issues?
No clue on the brake issues. The car has the latest generation electronic brake boosters on the front and rear disk brakes and they work phenomenally. My dealer told me demand was the reason why my car took a month to deliver. I don’t have any reason to believe the Corolla Hybrid sedan is affected by any brake issue.

On a somewhat unrelated note, the brakes are way better on the Corolla Hybrid than my 2008 Prius and a little better than the 2010 Camry Hybrid. It’s so predictable and easy to use across any speed range. With the Corolla Hybrid brakes I feel like I’m dialling in the force I want and the car figures it out. With the Prius or Camry Hybrid I feel like I have to be extra gentle at slow speeds and extra forceful at high speeds.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19484 posts
7614 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: Within a certain car make, a BEV will likely win over its ICEV counterparts for reliability but we got to stop with the generalization that all BEVs will be more reliable and have lower upkeep than say a Toyota hybrid. Generalizations like that are pure BS because repair costs also depend on the price of new oem and alternative parts and availability of scrapped parts.

Maybe two decades from now, these conjectures will be found correct but I don't buy that all BEVs are in general more reliable.

As long as the engine and transmission prove to be reliable on ICEV or HV, along with the rest of the car, there's a good chance they can have lower total cost of ownership compared to a BEV coming from a car maker that's not known for reliability.

I am not saying a Toyota is bullet proof. All I am saying is there are far more components in a car than just the engine, transmission, motor and battery. To pretend all else doesn't matter, is silly.
In principle, a BEV is the most reliable vehicle due to the least number of parts. We are talking about the drive train consisting of a motor. The least reliable vehicle should be a hybrid as the ICE portion of the car is essentially identical to an ICE car and the electric portion of the car is essentially a BEV. Personally, I would not buy a hybrid as I see them as a stop gap measure in the transition from gasoline to electric power. It's surpassing they lasted this long. My flame suit is on...
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3826 upvotes
will888 wrote: In principle, a BEV is the most reliable vehicle due to the least number of parts. We are talking about the drive train consisting of a motor. The least reliable vehicle should be a hybrid as the ICE portion of the car is essentially identical to an ICE car and the electric portion of the car is essentially a BEV. Personally, I would not buy a hybrid as I see them as a stop gap measure in the transition from gasoline to electric power. It's surpassing they lasted this long. My flame suit is on...
I think by 2025 they will be phased out when the manufacturing cost of a EV will be similar to an ICE and the range will probably reach 1000+. It's all about economy of scales and how long it takes to get there.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3826 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote: Just got the 2020 Corolla Hybrid and it’s an excellent car. The number of features it has is incredible and the fuel economy is outstanding. You can get around 1000km range on a $45 tank of fuel. I got a total discount of $2400 after getting a discount on freight and other fees on top of a vehicle discount.

Your discount is only 1595. Where do you see 2400?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14618 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote: Your discount is only 1595. Where do you see 2400?
$1595 was the discount on the vehicle. The remaining $805 is from discounts on dealer fees including freight. $2400 is my total savings compared to the price on the Toyota website.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3894 posts
2346 upvotes
Ontario
will888 wrote: In principle, a BEV is the most reliable vehicle due to the least number of parts. We are talking about the drive train consisting of a motor. The least reliable vehicle should be a hybrid as the ICE portion of the car is essentially identical to an ICE car and the electric portion of the car is essentially a BEV. Personally, I would not buy a hybrid as I see them as a stop gap measure in the transition from gasoline to electric power. It's surpassing they lasted this long. My flame suit is on...
Hybrid or BEV is required for regenerative braking which is an environmental must in order to recycle energy and limit brake dust pollution.

Many buyers need a vehicle now and available BEVs maybe do not tick all the main boxes within their budget.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1845 posts
384 upvotes
Lévis
I have a 2010 prius since 6 years (previoulsy a 2008 for 1,5 year). It's toyota: not the most fun to drive (I don't care) but it's reliable and hard to kill. As for fuel economy, it's there.
Because of government incentive, you might consider the prius prime (the plug-in version).
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3894 posts
2346 upvotes
Ontario
SPARTACVS wrote: I have a 2010 prius since 6 years (previoulsy a 2008 for 1,5 year). It's toyota: not the most fun to drive (I don't care) but it's reliable and hard to kill. As for fuel economy, it's there.
Because of government incentive, you might consider the prius prime (the plug-in version).
Don't see many Prius key fobs flaunted.
Feb 25, 2015
653 posts
225 upvotes
ON
Does anybody know the current wait times for new Corolla hybrid models? Also is there any wait times for Prius Prime or no?