Automotive

2020 Toyota Highlander (including 36mpg 2.5L hybrid)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2021 11:02 am
Jul 1, 2008
344 posts
81 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I was about to book 2020 Odyssey EXL-RES (Dealer Cost+$300) but going to have a look again at Highlander Hybrid if toyota is offering any deal

Previously Toyota were selling above MSRP, I got quoted of HiHy XLE for $48990+Freight+delivery+HST earlier this year and Dealer Cost of HiHy XLE is $44168/MSRP $47990
Anyone here was able to bargain HiHy above Dealer Cost?
Jul 1, 2008
344 posts
81 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Fyi Dealer are willing to sell 2020 HiHy XLE $850 above Dealer Cost. Still room to negotiate the price

Highlander felt really small from inside and definitely 3 row is hardly useable.
I am going with 2020 Odyssey EXL Res seems to be an only suitable option $581/month at 2.49% interest for 60months with 20k km allowance
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
I would wait on the new Toyota Sienna hybrid coming soon. If you can.
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
I would wait on the new Toyota Sienna hybrid coming soon. If you can.
Jul 1, 2008
344 posts
81 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I hope I could. My previous lease just completed last week.
Currently without a car and cannot wait much longer in hope hybrid

Even if Toyota Sienna Hybrid comes by end of the year the lease, interest won't be less then 6.15% for 5 years or anything less then 4.99%. Plus dealer won't do much bargain has everyone will want that car.
Only makes sense to wait for Hybrid Sienna if paying cash :)
mobgma wrote: I would wait on the new Toyota Sienna hybrid coming soon. If you can.
Jul 1, 2008
344 posts
81 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I hope I could. My previous lease just completed last week.
Currently without a car and cannot wait much longer in hope hybrid

Even if Toyota Sienna Hybrid comes by end of the year the lease, interest won't be less then 6.15% for 5 years or anything less then 4.99%. Plus dealer won't do much bargain has everyone will want that car.
Only makes sense to wait for Hybrid Sienna if paying cash :)
mobgma wrote: I would wait on the new Toyota Sienna hybrid coming soon. If you can.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6097 posts
10646 upvotes
Canada
Well, you should know what the new Sienna is like by Sunday as it is in all likelihood the planned Toyota reveal happening on YouTube.
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
Toyota teased the 2021 sienna. will be hybrid only as I understand. I think the press conference or keynote is like next week. It is probably a good 8 months away though. It is too bad you cannot find a temporary vehicle for 1 years time. I am not a honda fan BUT the odyssey is maybe the best looking van out there imo. The chrysler is good looking too but known to be very problematic.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6097 posts
10646 upvotes
Canada
Anyone see this previewed 2021 Highlander XSE on the Toyota Canada page? They are so funny. It's like they thought "I know what consumers wants, it's our new SUV with a harsher ride, no performance improvements and the front grille from our 2018 model year minivan."

May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
unrelated but the new sienna hybrid is actually decent looking and I normally hate vans (the look , not the utility).
Jan 2, 2011
533 posts
397 upvotes
Has anyone got any good deals lately on a 2020/2021 Highlander XLE?
Sep 18, 2019
95 posts
30 upvotes
learsid wrote: Has anyone got any good deals lately on a 2020/2021 Highlander XLE?
I am looking for that too.

How much difference in fuel economy of this Hybrid VS Hyundai Palisade? It has a V6 3.8 liter engine.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5424 posts
5281 upvotes
GTA
mobgma wrote: unrelated but the new sienna hybrid is actually decent looking and I normally hate vans (the look , not the utility).
The funny thing is even if Toyota puts sheet of exterior plywood with logo on the Highlander,it will sell in numbers other makers can only dream of. The '21 looks ok, it doesn't look like older Sienna to me. More like something along Lexus line.
Jan 2, 2011
533 posts
397 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: The funny thing is even if Toyota puts sheet of exterior plywood with logo on the Highlander,it will sell in numbers other makers can only dream of. The '21 looks ok, it doesn't look like older Sienna to me. More like something along Lexus line.
Very true. I don't care about the third row not being as big as others I just want the extra trunk space. Also buying for resale value. These seem to depreciate at about $3000/yr if reselling on autotrader in 5 years.
Banned
Sep 14, 2020
437 posts
251 upvotes
learsid wrote: Very true. I don't care about the third row not being as big as others I just want the extra trunk space. Also buying for resale value. These seem to depreciate at about $3000/yr if reselling on autotrader in 5 years.
Love it when people buy something for resale value lol. You don't even have it and thinking what you can get if selling it.

Your resale will be non existent when someone is going to ram you from behind for no fault of your own.
Jan 2, 2011
533 posts
397 upvotes
Me262A1 wrote: Love it when people buy something for resale value lol. You don't even have it and thinking what you can get if selling it.

Your resale will be non existent when someone is going to ram you from behind for no fault of your own.
Even then people still buy these in accidents. Barely loses much. (Definitely still ahead compared to leasing)
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
Me262A1 wrote: Love it when people buy something for resale value lol. You don't even have it and thinking what you can get if selling it.

In my opinion, it is an important metric to consider. Pay $60K, 8 years (and say 160,000km) later with normal wear and tear, it is nice to know you might still get $30,000 for it. Typically a function of market conditions, location, reliability, NVH, year, trim and mileage etc etc. Respectfully, nothing wrong with taking this into consideration. If your going to blow your hard earned money on a depreciating asset, minus well consider all the factors.
Jan 2, 2011
533 posts
397 upvotes
mobgma wrote: In my opinion, it is an important metric to consider. Pay $60K, 8 years (and say 160,000km) later with normal wear and tear, it is nice to know you might still get $30,000 for it. Typically a function of market conditions, location, reliability, NVH, year, trim and mileage etc etc. Respectfully, nothing wrong with taking this into consideration. If your going to blow your hard earned money on a depreciating asset, minus well consider all the factors.
Well said. I try to keep all my cars at deprecing less than 3k/year.

This will be replacing an RX450H. Had it for 7yrs and it depreciated $2500/yr = $210/mth. (Bought it when it was 4years old)
Jan 10, 2012
464 posts
116 upvotes
Ottawa
Has anyone purchased a hybrid highlander? How is the fuel economy?
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
raaaaam wrote: Has anyone purchased a hybrid highlander? How is the fuel economy?
6.6-6.8 L/100km if I lay off the lead foot.
7.2-7.4 L/100km if I lead foot it everywhere.

Owned it over a year now and we love it. I dislike the engine noise in the cabin although sometimes it makes me feel like I'm racing (F1 style) when I lead foot it around. I dislike the door sill weather protection. When you open the doors after driving in nasty brown slushy winters, the door sills on the bottom of the doors get really dirty. A minor inconvenience but does require extra cleaning/ wiping when at the car wash. I hear the Toyota running boards prevent this.