Automotive

2021 Acura RDX CarPlay and infotainment problems

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2021 12:33 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
83 posts
30 upvotes

2021 Acura RDX CarPlay and infotainment problems

Anyone having connection problems when trying to use Apple CarPlay with the infotainment system ? I have an iPhone XR, updated to the latest iOS version as well as the infotainment updated to the latest version.

Sometimes CarPlay connects and disconnects every 2 minutes. I tried different USB cables, resetting the infotainment system, and no different results. I emailed Acura client relations and they refer me to a dealership. Called the dealership and they say that they don’t know what to do.

I’m quite disappointed as it is a major feature if not the most important feature I use in the RDX. Like many of the provinces in Canada, hands free use of cell is mandatory so the only way to do so is CarPlay.

Bought a 2021 Platinum Elite version; its now less than 4000 km.

Thinking of asking them to buy back the car as the advertised features doesn’t work. As for the navigation system built in, it’s crap as anyone can tell.

Any experiences regarding this major problem?
31 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3184 posts
1538 upvotes
sethqc wrote: Anyone having connection problems when trying to use Apple CarPlay with the infotainment system ? I have an iPhone XR, updated to the latest iOS version as well as the infotainment updated to the latest version.

Sometimes CarPlay connects and disconnects every 2 minutes. I tried different USB cables, resetting the infotainment system, and no different results. I emailed Acura client relations and they refer me to a dealership. Called the dealership and they say that they don’t know what to do.

I’m quite disappointed as it is a major feature if not the most important feature I use in the RDX. Like many of the provinces in Canada, hands free use of cell is mandatory so the only way to do so is CarPlay.

Bought a 2021 Platinum Elite version; its now less than 4000 km.

Thinking of asking them to buy back the car as the advertised features doesn’t work. As for the navigation system built in, it’s crap as anyone can tell.

Any experiences regarding this major problem?
Lol tell us how that goes







But on a more useful note, unhook the battery, let the car sit and discharge and it might fix your problem. Just like lots of electronics, just turning it on/off or resetting it may not always work and it may need to be fully disconnected from its power source.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 26, 2007
1664 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 2019 and I encountered this problem early on in my ownership. I swapped cables, reset the infotainment system, everything under the sun. The only way I fixed it was by backing up my iPhone, restoring to factory specs and the restoring the phone from the backup. I am assuming that downloading and reinstalling the firmware on the phone is what fixed this issue because I haven't had any issues since then. This problem came up when I had the iPhone X, but I now have 12 Pro Max and it has been solid. I even use a 6" non-OEM lightning cable without any problems.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
83 posts
30 upvotes
Broli's Mom wrote: I have a 2019 and I encountered this problem early on in my ownership. I swapped cables, reset the infotainment system, everything under the sun. The only way I fixed it was by backing up my iPhone, restoring to factory specs and the restoring the phone from the backup. I am assuming that downloading and reinstalling the firmware on the phone is what fixed this issue because I haven't had any issues since then. This problem came up when I had the iPhone X, but I now have 12 Pro Max and it has been solid. I even use a 6" non-OEM lightning cable without any problems.
Thanks for the tip. I will try that. Have nothing to lose. :-)
Member
User avatar
Oct 25, 2011
486 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
99% of the time is your phone or the cable. Try a different phone and see if the same problem occurs. If it does, then it is car or cable. If it doesn't, then it is your phone.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5086 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
Well.... the RDX infotainment system is problematic regardless of Android or Apple OS being used with it.

See my post > debating-between-2019-acura-rdx-2019-bm ... #p34871447

Sometimes it even thinks I'm connected via CarPlay when I'm using Android Auto.

Image


I suggest you visit this forum and look for info there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-gene ... -2019-454/

.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2007
4675 posts
1932 upvotes
GTA
sethqc wrote: Anyone having connection problems when trying to use Apple CarPlay with the infotainment system ? I have an iPhone XR, updated to the latest iOS version as well as the infotainment updated to the latest version.

Sometimes CarPlay connects and disconnects every 2 minutes. I tried different USB cables, resetting the infotainment system, and no different results. I emailed Acura client relations and they refer me to a dealership. Called the dealership and they say that they don’t know what to do.

I’m quite disappointed as it is a major feature if not the most important feature I use in the RDX. Like many of the provinces in Canada, hands free use of cell is mandatory so the only way to do so is CarPlay.

Bought a 2021 Platinum Elite version; its now less than 4000 km.

Thinking of asking them to buy back the car as the advertised features doesn’t work. As for the navigation system built in, it’s crap as anyone can tell.

Any experiences regarding this major problem?
I don't have much to offer except to say that there is zero chance Acura will buy the car back from you so I'd get that notion out of your head ASAP. Have you tried a friends or spouses iPhone and see how it behaves? As mentioned, it could just be a bad cable.

On a slightly related topic, why can't more manufacturers get wireless CarPlay to work like BMW does?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 3, 2003
12864 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
My experience is limited to Android Auto, but I've found that it, as well as Apple CarPlay are VERY sensitive to cable quality. On the Apple side, try using the original Apple USB cable supplied with the phone, and try with several.

I've had cheap cables provide really flaky connections until I bought a beefy Anker braided USB-C cable (on the Android Auto side).
Deal with it.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
83 posts
30 upvotes
I did a complete restore of my iPhone and restored a backup and things seem to be working for now.... I'm using an original Apple lightning cable.

I did the good thing to have it on a lease. If things start going bad again, easier to get out. At almost the same price, Audi has it right and wireless CarPlay works flawlessly. I've been a loyal Acura customer for many years and my loyalty just ended with this SUV. Acura definitely is going down the hill, both on quality and customer service.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
5914 posts
5092 upvotes
Oakville, ON
sethqc wrote: Thanks for the tip. I will try that. Have nothing to lose. :-)
Whether this works or not, you should also try using a genuine apple cable. Yes, a cable is a cable is a cable but only until you run into flakey problems like this. I’ve seen complaints like yours in several forums for different makes and the top solutions are almost always some combination of:

(a) OEM phone cable
(b) factory phone reset & restore
(c) latest phone o/s update
(d) latest vehicle infotainment update

Can take 2, 3, or all of the above to work out the problem.

As a wildcard, Waze has been known to wreak havoc with CarPlay and Android Auto. Many can use it just fine, but they have had a history of problems for some. I’d advise to un-install Waze and see if that stabilizes things if none of the above works first.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
83 posts
30 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: Well.... the RDX infotainment system is problematic regardless of Android or Apple OS being used with it.

See my post > debating-between-2019-acura-rdx-2019-bm ... #p34871447

Sometimes it even thinks I'm connected via CarPlay when I'm using Android Auto.

Image


I suggest you visit this forum and look for info there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-gene ... -2019-454/

.
Yeah Acura's infotainment system is cr**. Based on Android OS instead of proprietary software is a sure guarantee to make things bad. Had I knew what I know now about this, I wouldn't got this RDX.

Acura is notorious for not providing any updates once the car is sold. They can't care less about their customers. I contacted Acura Customer Relations about this problem and they didn't even know what I was talking about and acted like the infotainment system is serviced by another company. They referred me to the dealership. And they couldn't be more useless. Acting like I'm the first one having this problem and telling me "Well you just have to unplug and plug it back in when it happens.....". Yeah right, I bought a 65k SUV to have things working on and off....

Last Acura for me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9673 posts
9200 upvotes
sethqc wrote: Yeah Acura's infotainment system is cr**. Based on Android OS instead of proprietary software is a sure guarantee to make things bad. Had I knew what I know now about this, I wouldn't got this RDX.
It doesn't matter what the infotainment software runs on. The CP/AA issue has always been a problem off and on for car manufacturers. You can't expect something that updates may be once every 2 to 3 years if you are lucky and be compatible always with something that updates weekly/monthly and major changes yearly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5086 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
About those updates.....

When I bought the 2019 in Aug 2018, Android Auto was not available as yet but was promised. Car Play may have been available at the time I bought it but was very flakey in its' early versions.

I think it was end of January 2019 that an over the air (OTA) update was released that enabled AA. An owner can install this in their own driveway - no need to go to the dealer! I did just that. That first version was far from perfect but I'm probably that 1 guy in 100 that has a bad core processor. The first OTA update got it working and I was sooooo happy because the update also allowed a usb cable connection for music to be streamed from your phone to the excellent audio system in this vehicle. There was an audible difference vs Bluetooth and a visual difference with album graphics finally showing for tracks on the centre screen.

Since then OTA's have been arriving about every 6 to 8 months and with every update the experience gets better.

Now that Google has announced they are ceasing development of AA, and instead moving to a Google Assistant model for in car operations, I'm wondering what is next for this infotainment system.

.
Last edited by NewsyL on Aug 30th, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7742 posts
6935 upvotes
sethqc wrote: I did a complete restore of my iPhone and restored a backup and things seem to be working for now.... I'm using an original Apple lightning cable.

I did the good thing to have it on a lease. If things start going bad again, easier to get out. At almost the same price, Audi has it right and wireless CarPlay works flawlessly. I've been a loyal Acura customer for many years and my loyalty just ended with this SUV. Acura definitely is going down the hill, both on quality and customer service.

Thanks for the suggestions.
why do you think Audi got CP/AA working all the time? my mom's TT-RS doesn't work half the time and she gave up and left it since lease is up in a a few more months but it hasn't worked for a while now and we've tried with new phones and got dealer to update the system . i mean just google audi carplay issues and you get so many forum posts on it as well.

apps (including CP/AA) are updated like every few months, other apps like waze/google maps etc are same, along with OS updates and different versions and hardware that changes for phones etc.. automakers were/are way behind the tech companies in upgrading their infotainment even with ability to push ota updates, they just don't have the resources/talent/budget
Last edited by StatsGuy on Aug 30th, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
83 posts
30 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: It doesn't matter what the infotainment software runs on. The CP/AA issue has always been a problem off and on for car manufacturers. You can't expect something that updates may be once every 2 to 3 years if you are lucky and be compatible always with something that updates weekly/monthly and major changes yearly.
I know it can be a challenge for car makers but at some point, they know what they're in for when they get in the CP/AA train. Audi, BMW, Mercedes offer CP/AA and it is flawless, regardless of frequent updates. I have many friends that own those brands and they never experienced any issues with CP/AA. Those car makers provide frequent updates to their infotainment systems assuring reliability and compatibility to systems they claim offering.

Acura cuted costs by having their infotainment systems programmed by cheap labor in Bangladesh and that's the results. Bad original programming and probably no references to update their software in order to correct the many issues.

Just looking at the diagnostic screen and the error log on my RDX is frightening. I can't count how many "hard" errors I have every time I start the car.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7742 posts
6935 upvotes
sethqc wrote: I know it can be a challenge for car makers but at some point, they know what they're in for when they get in the CP/AA train. Audi, BMW, Mercedes offer CP/AA and it is flawless, regardless of frequent updates. I have many friends that own those brands and they never experienced any issues with CP/AA. Those car makers provide frequent updates to their infotainment systems assuring reliability and compatibility to systems they claim offering.

Acura cuted costs by having their infotainment systems programmed by cheap labor in Bangladesh and that's the results. Bad original programming and probably no references to update their software in order to correct the many issues.

Just looking at the diagnostic screen and the error log on my RDX is frightening. I can't count how many "hard" errors I have every time I start the car.
lol..nothing flawless about CP or AA with my current and last couple BMW nor Audi. you're in dreamland if you think BMW/Audi/MB or others don't have issues.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9673 posts
9200 upvotes
sethqc wrote: I know it can be a challenge for car makers but at some point, they know what they're in for when they get in the CP/AA train. Audi, BMW, Mercedes offer CP/AA and it is flawless, regardless of frequent updates. I have many friends that own those brands and they never experienced any issues with CP/AA. Those car makers provide frequent updates to their infotainment systems assuring reliability and compatibility to systems they claim offering.

Acura cuted costs by having their infotainment systems programmed by cheap labor in Bangladesh and that's the results. Bad original programming and probably no references to update their software in order to correct the many issues.

Just looking at the diagnostic screen and the error log on my RDX is frightening. I can't count how many "hard" errors I have every time I start the car.
Lol, MB user charming in and AA is not flawless. It even crashed and rebooted my whole infotainment screen once, mid drive. I got 2 MBUX update OTA last 18 months, neither address AA/CP when I read the logs.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
83 posts
30 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: lol..nothing flawless about CP or AA with my current and last couple BMW nor Audi. you're in dreamland if you think BMW/Audi/MB or others don't have issues.
Well I just drove a 2021 Q5 for 3 weeks and never ever had an issue with wireless CarPlay. Connected easily everytime and the infotainment is second to none compared to Acura; responsiveness and speed of the system is day and night. Maybe I was lucky but it was perfect and worked the way it is intended to. Q5 and RDX are about at the same price point.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
83 posts
30 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: About those updates.....

When I bought the 2019 in Aug 2018, Android Auto was not available as yet but was promised. Car Play may have been available at the time I bought it but was very flakey in its' early versions.

I think it was end of January 2019 that an over the air (OTA) update was released that enabled AA. An owner can install this in their own driveway - no need to go to the dealer! I did just that. That first version was far from perfect but I'm probably that 1 guy in 100 that has a bad core processor. The first OTA update got it working and I was sooooo happy because the update also allowed a usb cable connection for music to be streamed from your phone to the excellent audio system in this vehicle. There was an audible difference vs Bluetooth and a visual difference with album graphics finally showing for tracks on the centre screen.

Since then OTA's have been arriving about every 6 to 8 months and with every update the experience gets better.

Now that Google has announced they are ceasing development of AA, and instead moving to a Google Assistant model for in car operations, I'm wondering what is next for this infotainment system.

.
You're right, the audio system is just a little bit better than audio systems seen in basic models. Still far from Bose quality though. And I get this popping/crackling noise every 2-3 minutes, whether its regular radio, XM or streaming music. Acura definitely turned corners quickly with this system.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7742 posts
6935 upvotes
sethqc wrote: Well I just drove a 2021 Q5 for 3 weeks and never ever had an issue with wireless CarPlay. Connected easily everytime and the infotainment is second to none compared to Acura; responsiveness and speed of the system is day and night. Maybe I was lucky but it was perfect and worked the way it is intended to. Q5 and RDX are about at the same price point.
and i drove a 2020 q5 for a week and it never was able to connect to my iphone or android when the tt was in the dealer again for warranty servicing.

i have no comment about the infotainment btwn rdx and audi's but just wanted to point out there's lots and lots and lots of issues with CP/AA with audi and every other brand as well. I'm sure there's people who had zero issues with CP on a RDX over 3 weeks as well right?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)