• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 1:17 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
253 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary

2021 Honda CRV vs 2022 Hyundai Tucson

Hey guys, I am looking at trading in my 2019 Honda CRV LX AWD (that I leased in May 2019), the car is okay, except it's now due it's annual service and apparently this time it's a larger job which replaces oil and a bunch of things I can't recall off the top my head. I currently pay $198 bi-weekly.

Anyhow so I've been in touch with Okotoks Honda (I live in Calgary), they are giving me a decent deal if I trade my vehicle, per them due to wear and tear, glass and a some damage on the tailgate (looks like a dent), the negative equity is around $3,735 (remaining balance is $25,735 and I'm getting $22,000 for the CRV), so with rolling that in, they have come to $197.56 bi-weekly for 5yr lease.

I have also since been in touch with a Hyundai dealership that is ready to match and beat that price for a 2022 Tucson Preferred AWD; I am planning to go down there tomorrow to get the vehicle appraised to see how much of a shortfall there is.

I know the CRV is an older vehicle and has aged, but I'm literally only getting an LX AWD, and the Tucson Preffered AWD Is there a reason to not go for the Hyundai except for the fact that it is a pretty new vehicle (redesigned) and the reliability of the Honda (I know a lot of you guys are going to mention the oil dilution issue, but that literally fixed past 2020 so 2021 shouldn't have issues and my 2019 had no issues and I had no service to update anything either).

Thoughts/Comments/Advise please?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1792 posts
2229 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Which one of these will burn you and your family alive? Avoid that one.
Oct 6, 2013
140 posts
21 upvotes
Alberta
I am no expert, but:

1. If I decide to go with Honda, I will lease for 3 years, not 5 because of Honda warranty is up to 3 years. If a 3-year lease payment is out of my budget, then I can't afford this lease.
2. If I don't have plans to keep the next lease, and Hyundai is within my budget, their warranty is 5 years, so I am ok to enter into a 5-year lease.
3. My goal would be to try not to put money into changing the lease. If Hyundai tells me, they are in for a deal where I need to drop the car with no payment to fix wear and tear, glass and some damage on the tailgate, and within my budget, I should be in.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4333 posts
3916 upvotes
Ottawa
So you're willing to pay $3,735 for a new vehicle to avoid paying a couple of hundred dollars in maintenance?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15540 posts
3846 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, I would not touch a Hyundai given the engine fires, and other issues they have. The CRV *should* be ok, but I would also look at a Toyota Rav 4 as they have been pretty solid (especially the Hybrid). It looks like you are in a good financial position if you can afford to swap cars and write off $3700 in negative equity pretty easily.

On the other hand, if the car does what you need to do, why not just buy it out, take it to a private mechanic and save the dealership maintenance costs? 2-Year-old CRV won't have many KM on it (probably under 50K) and really won't need much to be done. I would expect it needs:

- air filter $15
- cabin air filter $15
- brake service $120
- wheel alignment $120
- oil change $65
- properly service and charge the battery. Around $50 for the charger and what you need to do can be viewed here:
- a bunch of checks which won't find anything as it is a 2-year-old vehicle

Let's say $400 for everything and you have a vehicle that would work just fine for years to come.
Last edited by hightech on May 29th, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Dec 1, 2014
211 posts
196 upvotes
Burlington, ON
mlallany wrote: the car is okay, except it's now due it's annual service and apparently this time it's a larger job
It doesn't make sense to trade-in the CR-V for the Hyundai from a financial standpoint. This sounds more like a decision on if you like the CR-V as a daily driver or not. Either way, I'd stay away from Hyundai and look to Toyota as a replacement. Your other option is to keep the CR-V a bit longer and trade towards the next generation which should be coming out soon.
Aug 28, 2017
46 posts
40 upvotes
its lease, if you don't intend to buy it out get the Hyundai. I have a 2020 CRV and I hate the fact that the A/C sucks and its never fully gets cold and also the heater sucks and takes forever to warm up. Also, the Tucson has a regular automatic versus the droning CVT transmission.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1062 posts
1340 upvotes
Calgary
Surely I would think it’s cheaper to keep the current crv lease, you do know that you don’t have to do the service at Honda right? Just take it to a smaller Indy shop and keep the receipt.

Transferring negative equity is never a good cycle to get into and can snowball into bigger financial issues if the next car turns out to be a lemon. The only winner is the sales bros and dealership.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4029 posts
584 upvotes
Pickering, ON
You're considering replacing a current gen CRV for a 2 year newer current gen CRV just to avoid some maintenance... doesn't seem very rational.
Apr 10, 2019
437 posts
870 upvotes
Ottawa
BD006 wrote: You're considering replacing a current gen CRV for a 2 year newer current gen CRV just to avoid some maintenance... doesn't seem very rational.
Kind of like throwing out new clothes instead of running them through the washing machine...not very rational indeed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7023 posts
3258 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
If can then wait for 2022 CRV for another option... should have hybrid version available unless they wait until 2023 model. Current gen is available in hybrid version in markets outside of Canada.

Else other options are Forester/Outback, CX-5, RAV4, new Rogue.

BUT don't understand why getting 2021 current gen to replace a 2019 current gen... any changes would be cosmetic I believe.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12065 posts
4371 upvotes
Toronto
Horrible move to get rid of an ONLY 2 year CRV to a new CRV or even the Tuscon.

Like @hightec mentioned, the maintenance is so minimal, there are no BIG JOB to do for a 2 years old CR-V. Did you just listen to your salesman's sales pitch and persuade you to trading in your existing lease?
All you need are just some service items to go and will carry on for another two year or so on the road,

$3735 negative equity roll to the new lease. WHY?!! You are basically losing almost $4000 for nothing except to get a 2 years newer CR-V. Disappointed Face

The salesman is just playing numbers with you, $197.56 bi weekly for the next 5 years lease. It sounds like a small number and most people can afford, but in reality, you are paying something that you are not suppose to and 5 years is too long for a lease.
Now you say you having the car for 2 years and want to trade it in due to maintenance and now you go sign a new lease for 5 years??! :facepalm:

The whole idea makes no sense and doing all that for not getting an upgrade neither from a 2019 CR-V to the same looking model 2021 CR-V or that lower class Tuscon. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Forget the new 2021 CRV or Tuscon, keep driving your 2019 CRV until the lease finish, like @hightec , the maintenance items are just minimal, you can potential save more money for skip service at dealership and go to private garage.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 8, 2010
77 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Wait, so in 2023 we're gonna see another thread from OP asking whether to trade in a 2021 CRV or 2022 Tucson for a 2023 CRV or 2024 Tucson just because there are some upcoming maintenance costs?
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
253 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
You guys all have very valid points, but perhaps I should a little more context:
I'm not trading it because of the service coming, the service and detailing will cost me approx $635. And in terms of servicing, when I leased I did fall into that trap of "free oil changes for the duration of the lease" so yes pretty sure I have to get my servicing done at the dealership. The maintenance cost is a small part of it.

The negative equity is a high mostly due to a dent in the tailgate which I'm told is approx $1500 of damage and a cracked windshield (99% sure my insurance policy has no windshield coverage so it will need to be replaced). The dent was actually an accident that happened sitting on a stop light, the driver in the truck behind me started giving gas and somehow bumped into me (and claimed his foot slipped), that's been a month and I'm unsure if I can still submit a claim. The damages is the sole reason I was looking at trading it in, as those things alone would cost me 2k or more.

Otherwise I'm very aware that it's only a 2r old CRV for a new "current gen" CRV. I'll back out of the deal, I had already signed papers, and given a date for the pickup, but the insurance part nor have I given them any deposit, so I'll back out.
In my situation because I have 2 kids, a more logical upgrade would be like a Kia Carnival for the extra room.

@MP3_SKY and @hightec Thanks for the positive comments.

edit: I talked to the service guys, and I guess I can take the vehicle elsewhere, I basically give their "VIP program (free oil changes)" but I can go elsewhere provided I follow the maintenance schedule
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15540 posts
3846 upvotes
Toronto
mlallany wrote: You guys all have very valid points, but perhaps I should a little more context:
I'm not trading it because of the service coming, the service and detailing will cost me approx $635. And in terms of servicing, when I leased I did fall into that trap of "free oil changes for the duration of the lease" so yes pretty sure I have to get my servicing done at the dealership. The maintenance cost is a small part of it.

The negative equity is a high mostly due to a dent in the tailgate which I'm told is approx $1500 of damage and a cracked windshield (99% sure my insurance policy has no windshield coverage so it will need to be replaced). The dent was actually an accident that happened sitting on a stop light, the driver in the truck behind me started giving gas and somehow bumped into me (and claimed his foot slipped), that's been a month and I'm unsure if I can still submit a claim. The damages is the sole reason I was looking at trading it in, as those things alone would cost me 2k or more.

Otherwise I'm very aware that it's only a 2r old CRV for a new "current gen" CRV. I'll back out of the deal, I had already signed papers, and given a date for the pickup, but the insurance part nor have I given them any deposit, so I'll back out.
In my situation because I have 2 kids, a more logical upgrade would be like a Kia Carnival for the extra room.

@MP3_SKY and @hightec Thanks for the positive comments.

edit: I talked to the service guys, and I guess I can take the vehicle elsewhere, I basically give their "VIP program (free oil changes)" but I can go elsewhere provided I follow the maintenance schedule
You can easily claim the damage on your insurance within a month. Since he hit you, you are at 0% fault and it won't cost you a penny. You can take the vehicle to a Honda repair shop and get it fixed correctly. You may also get a loner vehicle that HIS policy will cover as he is at fault. As part of the repair, the body shop would probably detail the car for you as well if you talk to them which in turn would also save you some money.

Windshield repair you can check around and it should not be that expensive either. Perhaps the Honda body shop does windshield repair and you can get a quote from them at the same time. Again, talk to them and they can give you a break on the cost as you will be paying out of pocket vs. insurance. Heck, you can fix everything up, drive a few years and the depreciation on the vehicle would be minimal as the first 2 years tend to be the highest.

BTW, stay away from Kia and Hyundai vehicles. There are several threads on RFD about all sorts of issues they have. If you need more room, consider a Highlander as that is a bigger vehicle or the Sienna if you prefer minivans. Honda Pilots and the Odyssey seem to have issues as well. It is a shame as Honda *used* to be top-tier manufacture that had solid reliability. Now, people seem to go on the name and equate it to the quality of prior years. If you have a library subscription, check out consumer reports and look at the quality reports on these cars.

BTW, if you reference @hightec the newbie is getting all the alerts and won't know what is going on. I am @hightech :)
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Dec 3, 2009
658 posts
334 upvotes
Vancouver
mlallany wrote: The negative equity is a high mostly due to a dent in the tailgate which I'm told is approx $1500 of damage and a cracked windshield (99% sure my insurance policy has no windshield coverage so it will need to be replaced). The dent was actually an accident that happened sitting on a stop light, the driver in the truck behind me started giving gas and somehow bumped into me (and claimed his foot slipped), that's been a month and I'm unsure if I can still submit a claim. The damages is the sole reason I was looking at trading it in, as those things alone would cost me 2k or more.
That makes even less sense? Why would you want to get rid of your car part way through lease due to damage?

You're paying for the damages either way, now or at end of lease, why throw more money away terminating the lease early, simply due to a dent and a crack windshield?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I don't understand people who Lease cars, that don't have a business or write-offs in doing so. They think they're ahead of the game, but they're not. Dent here, scratch there, too many KM's and you spent a crapload of money to rent a car.

I'd go for a baby Bronco or something else. Why limit yourself to only a couple vehicles, you are renting them before anything will go wrong, so what's the problem?

Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12065 posts
4371 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: I don't understand people who Lease cars, that don't have a business or write-offs in doing so. They think they're ahead of the game, but they're not. Dent here, scratch there, too many KM's and you spent a crapload of money to rent a car.
Leasing is definitely not everyone's game, it has its pro and cons for sure.
it will lead to a big discussing thread which I don't intend to and it is not OP's question.

Basically, you are right. Lease is just a long term rental, you drive the car, you pay per monthly and you give it back at the end of the term. No commitment.
You don't own the car, so you should spent the least amount of money on it. Don't add on goodies on it than just putting gas to keep it running, don't modify it. It is not your car and don't waste extra money on it.

Good thing about that is you don't have to deal with the repairs or part replacement after the warranty period (hence why they always tell people don't lease beyond it's warranty period), you get to drive a newer car every few years and you don't have to deal with the re-sell if one day you want a different car.

Cons is it is not the most economic way to have a car to drive, you will always having to pay few hundreds per month as car payment if you keep on leasing, you also have to watch out the mileage not to go beyond your lease allowance. If you have to replace something on the car for any reason, you have to use OEM parts or at least do so when you return it,

There are certainly more to talk about, but those are the hi-light.

I've bought a brand new car, leased a new car, sub-lease someone's car, bought a 10yr+ beater and also bought a few years old car.

Different stage in life also putting me to do different thing. There is no definite right or wrong about buying or leasing ONLY you need to know what you are doing.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on May 29th, 2021 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015