Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto

2021 KIA K5 (Bye Optima)

didn't see anyone talk about this here yesterday, so here you go if you are looking for the car that's in every korean drama recently Face With Tears Of Joy

- same platform as the new Sonata
- Base 1.6T I4 (180hp/195lb.ft) + 8AT + optional AWD
- GT model with 2.5T I4 (290hp/311lb.ft) +8DCT (not clear if this gets AWD tho the literature doesn't suggest so)
- usual (long) list of creature comforts and safety features on Hyundai/Kia products

Looks are always subjective, and feel free to drop your hot takes on Korean car reliability, but we can all agree it's good to see the sedan segment not only getting more fresh models, but also more performance variants in the mainstream!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3300 ... -revealed/

54 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56409 posts
21424 upvotes
Now, we mostly wait for the 96-month 0% offer. :)

Read about it on C/D yesterday. It seems Kia and Hyundai are offering sportier vehicles. I just wished they offer the same warranty coverage and length as they do in the US.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
it's a shame the Stinger appears to be a sales flop and likely won't be redesigned. Just another reality check for all the keyboard warriors crying for a sporty affordable attractive car. But hopefully it sets the tone and direction for their future products. Differentiating on performance in addition to value would serve Hyundai and Kia well as it has for Mazda.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1183 upvotes
Goose12345 wrote: it's a shame the Stinger appears to be a sales flop and likely won't be redesigned. Just another reality check for all the keyboard warriors crying for a sporty affordable attractive car. But hopefully it sets the tone and direction for their future products. Differentiating on performance in addition to value would serve Hyundai and Kia well as it has for Mazda.
Agreed, imo the Stinger looks much better appearance wise than the K5. Though the K5 is much better visually than the Sonata's fish head front fascia. I still wouldn't drop ~$50k on a Hyundai/Kia product - they're still perceived as a value player.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22304 posts
2957 upvotes
the front looks a terminator. I like that they didn't add a massive grill
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2868 posts
1043 upvotes
Vaughan
Goose12345 wrote: it's a shame the Stinger appears to be a sales flop and likely won't be redesigned. Just another reality check for all the keyboard warriors crying for a sporty affordable attractive car. But hopefully it sets the tone and direction for their future products. Differentiating on performance in addition to value would serve Hyundai and Kia well as it has for Mazda.
The Genesis G70 is a great option if you like what the Stinger had to offer.

For this K5, I really like the more aggressive looks. Just hoping the GT is offered in AWD.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19153 posts
19067 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Korean DCT? No thanks LOL
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37849 posts
23952 upvotes
Center of Universe
Trying to compete with the TLX isn't a good strategy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
think they are avoiding that... if I intercept this correctly the 2.5T model is only FWD.. they'd save an AWD version for the facelifted G70 I assume which is more of a comparison to the TLX

the base 1.6T AWD would stack nicely with the Camry and Altima AWD, neither of which put AWD on their bigger engines prob for same reason.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16801 posts
5280 upvotes
Markham
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9226 posts
8501 upvotes
Its the problem of cost of building a good car and then a luxury equivalent can be had with a cheaper lease.

Looks the part but a shame that powerful engine isn't pair with AWD. Probably they don't want to kill the Stinger yet.
Oct 4, 2010
847 posts
471 upvotes
Surrey
is this also designed by former Audi employee?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19153 posts
19067 upvotes
Richmond Hill
matrixfwd wrote: is this also designed by former Audi employee?
Not when it's this FUGLY!!!
Oct 4, 2010
847 posts
471 upvotes
Surrey
wow then i'm definitely jumping on this. it's like driving an Audi, but not quite. just have to figure out how to debadge all the markings.
Oct 16, 2018
220 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
The stinger was affordable? Last I saw it's over 500 a month roughly.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15103 upvotes
Wasn't it always called the K5? And only called Optima in certain markets? I swear I've seen current gen ones running around re-badged as K5s by enthusiastic (perhaps just Korean?) owners.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)