• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 8:38 am
88 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1143 upvotes
Toronto
they are gonna need better ratios on the 6AT to be competitive acceleration wise. the Mazda 6 with this powertrain got tested almost a second lower than accord 2.0T in 0-60
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21002 posts
5507 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Mazda is not chasing the GTi crowd. Their move upmarket will appeal to those who want a car that has effortless acceleration. The 310 lbs/ft of torque at 2000rpm attests to it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8861 posts
7897 upvotes
Same set up in CX-5 do 6.1s to 60. I can't see this before quicker than mid 5s so speed wise, it can probably be similar to GTI.

Unfortunately, the rear solid beam suspension ruined this car for enthusiasts. CX-5 feels better in slaloms compared to the 3 and it's 500lb heavier and taller.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7852 posts
3029 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Looks solid - love what Mazda's been doing in the last few years.

I'm personally looking forward to a MX-5 MazdaSpeed coming out before I decide what to do on my model.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20664 posts
6087 upvotes
GTA
I really wanted to get a Mazdaspeed3 years after it went out of production, I wish it would come back.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: I really wanted to get a Mazdaspeed3 years after it went out of production, I wish it would come back.
m6speed would have been amazing!
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
bear20 wrote: Didn't find another thread on this, so apologies in advance if duplicate. Specs leaked out from Mazda Mexico
227 hp/310 tq, AWD, 6 speed auto.

https://www.motor1.com/news/432394/mazd ... ed-mexico/
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021 ... azdaspeed/

Thoughts? Looks like this will give the GTI solid competition.
sandikosh wrote: Mazda is not chasing the GTi crowd. Their move upmarket will appeal to those who want a car that has effortless acceleration. The 310 lbs/ft of torque at 2000rpm attests to it.
I agree it isn't going after the GTI crowd though I'm sure it will be cross shopped depending on price. the GTI is a hot hatch with a typical econo interior of VW while mazda is going for a more premium segment. It's competing more with the A class hatch than a GTI

doubt mazda is going for bragging rights for 0-60 or acceleration numbers or a "sports" tuned version of the regular 3. It's just another engine option choice like the 2.5 vs 2.0..now there's a 2.5T

it'll be interesting what more options they can add to the 2.5T trim given the current GT AWD is pretty loaded already and price point.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18756 posts
18303 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Xtrema wrote: Same set up in CX-5 do 6.1s to 60. I can't see this before quicker than mid 5s so speed wise, it can probably be similar to GTI.

Unfortunately, the rear solid beam suspension ruined this car for enthusiasts. CX-5 feels better in slaloms compared to the 3 and it's 500lb heavier and taller.
Car "enthusiasts" are kind of a dumb crowd at times. Most of these people have never even been on a track, yet are the biggest experts at what a proper suspension should be LOL. For low powered cars having a car that will rotate is far more "fun" than a car that just sticks or worse yet plowing into turns.

I see nothing wrong with the solid rear beam aside from having a possibly harsher ride.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1769 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Same set up in CX-5 do 6.1s to 60. I can't see this before quicker than mid 5s so speed wise, it can probably be similar to GTI.

That's pretty generous, CX-5 turbo is closer to 6.3-6.5 seconds 0-60, about the same as the Mazda 6 turbo. I'm thinking this Mazda 3 will be in the low 6s probably which is slightly faster than Civic Si, Elantra Sport, Forte GT but not quite as fast as GTI. The numbers look really good on paper but with that slow 6AT they don't really translate which is a shame.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4083 posts
2864 upvotes
Montreal
Sounds fun, if only the 3 hatch didn't look like an egg...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1067 posts
1182 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: I agree it isn't going after the GTI crowd though I'm sure it will be cross shopped depending on price. the GTI is a hot hatch with a typical econo interior of VW while mazda is going for a more premium segment. It's competing more with the A class hatch than a GTI

doubt mazda is going for bragging rights for 0-60 or acceleration numbers or a "sports" tuned version of the regular 3. It's just another engine option choice like the 2.5 vs 2.0..now there's a 2.5T

it'll be interesting what more options they can add to the 2.5T trim given the current GT AWD is pretty loaded already and price point.
Fair points, Mazda definitely has upped their game interior-wise to near-luxury. Curious to see pricing, but given top trim Mazda3 Sport GT AWD is already $37xxx (MSRP OTR), I'd imagine similarly equipped Turbo model will top out around mid 40's. At that price point,I'd rather go with a lightly optioned A class instead, if luxury and badge prestige are priorities. As someone who recently picked up a mk7.5 GTI, I feel most people buying this segment care more about performance vs. "luxury" features.
jzmtl wrote: Sounds fun, if only the 3 hatch didn't look like an egg...
Yeah, automotive design is subjective, but I'm not digging the 3 hatch exterior design either. Really dislike the rounded pebble shaped rear and the large c pillars.
Aug 6, 2017
853 posts
1446 upvotes
No sedan version with the turbo? Don’t like the look of the hatch.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
Is this on all new Mazda 3 or only on selected trim?

in 2007, they made their Mazdaspeed3 with 263hp and 280tq and in 2021, they are making a Turbo Mazda3 of 227hp.
Are we supposed to be excited?

The new Civic Type R is now 306hp.....so 227hp is far off.

Not understanding the move of this from Mazda.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18756 posts
18303 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MP3_SKY wrote: Is this on all new Mazda 3 or only on selected trim?

in 2007, they made their Mazdaspeed3 with 263hp and 280tq and in 2021, they are making a Turbo Mazda3 of 227hp.
Are we supposed to be excited?

The new Civic Type R is now 306hp.....so 227hp is far off.

It’s not a mazda speed 3 so I don’t see anything wrong with 227hp as they will be the highest HP in it’s class. They do need to bring out a mazda speed 3 again though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1067 posts
1182 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote: No sedan version with the turbo? Don’t like the look of the hatch.
I saw somewhere sedan will be available in Mexico but no one really knows for certain. Will have to wait couple day to see what the official US spec is.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: It’s not a mazda speed 3 so I don’t see anything wrong with 227hp as they will be the highest HP in it’s class. They do need to bring out a mazda speed 3 again though.
I was just confuse with Mazda's direction, few years ago, they are making Mazda 3s skyactive and go toward the good fuel consumption and ended the era of Mazdaspeed3. The last MS3 is probably a 2013?
Then now they are boosting their Mazda 3 with a Turbo charged engine. Are they going back to the performance direction in their best selling line ups?

I owned a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 for a few years before and I had so much fun with it. :D
At that time, the GTI were 200hp, the WRX were 224hp, Civic are under 200....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32856 posts
14576 upvotes
Interesting insofar as:
-This isn't going to be Mazdaspeed3 (?) given no boy-racer looks and less power/performance
-At the same time it's sleeper-ish for a Mazda3 given everyone will think it's a total slowpoke and really looks not much different than a plain-jane Mazda3
-Looks like a plain-jane Mazda3--a disadvantage for those that were hoping for something more interesting looking
-Has AWD, something the Speed3 never had

GTI competitor? Perhaps but probably more along the lines of Civic Si? Has a lot of torque, stock, and 2.5L engine; though no info on what the stock boost pressure is like. Is this engine a turbocharged Atkinson-cycle?

Overall it seems boring but at least it's much better than the unexciting base engine.
MP3_SKY wrote: The new Civic Type R is now 306hp.....so 227hp is far off.

This is wayyy cheaper than a Type-R and certainly not meant to compete with that. It's more likely a competitor for Si given that has around 200hp though has not nearly as much output. Because it's just a 1.5L engine there's only 192lb*ft out of it and that's already with peak 20psi going through it, meaning it probably can't get much higher than that on the stock turbo. I'm not that familiar with either of these engines but the Mazda will solidly have the Si beat it looks like. Funny enough I thought the Si was a 2.0L, only now am I realising it's a 1.5. Civic Si basically has its engine tapped out; barring putting a bigger turbo on it you're not gonna get any significant gains and even then you may have to build the bottom-end if you want it to hold more power. The Mazda 2.5L OTOH would be a much different story I bet.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Interesting insofar as:
-This isn't going to be Mazdaspeed3 (?) given no boy-racer looks and less power/performance
-At the same time it's sleeper-ish for a Mazda3 given everyone will think it's a total slowpoke and really looks not much different than a plain-jane Mazda3
-Looks like a plain-jane Mazda3--a disadvantage for those that were hoping for something more interesting looking
-Has AWD, something the Speed3 never had

GTI competitor? Perhaps but probably more along the lines of Civic Si? Has a lot of torque, stock, and 2.5L engine; though no info on what the stock boost pressure is like. Is this engine a turbocharged Atkinson-cycle?

Overall it seems boring but at least it's much better than the unexciting base engine.

This is wayyy cheaper than a Type-R and certainly not meant to compete with that. It's more likely a competitor for Si given that has around 200hp though has not nearly as much output. Because it's just a 1.5L engine there's only 192lb*ft out of it and that's already with peak 20psi going through it, meaning it probably can't get much higher than that on the stock turbo. I'm not that familiar with either of these engines but the Mazda will solidly have the Si beat it looks like. Funny enough I thought the Si was a 2.0L, only now am I realising it's a 1.5. Civic Si basically has its engine tapped out; barring putting a bigger turbo on it you're not gonna get any significant gains and even then you may have to build the bottom-end if you want it to hold more power. The Mazda 2.5L OTOH would be a much different story I bet.
Yes, this Turbo Mazda 3 is not going to come close to the CTR or STi or Golf R.

Like EP32k2 said, they need to bring back the Mazdaspeed3 if they want to be part of the performance compact class.