• Jul 13th, 2021 1:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14625 posts
8890 upvotes
Toronto

2021 NHL Playoffs Thread

I figured I'd start this as a "neutral" thread rather than venturing into the Leafs thread as a card-carrying Habs fan.

I watched game 1 of the Florida-Tampa series last night....it was a war.

One of the most entertaining games i've seen in a long time. Great atmosphere as there were fans in the stands.

Stamkos and Kucherov back...Kuch hadn't played all year and scored 2 PP goals, he was all over the place.
Share:
342 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2930 posts
2543 upvotes
Markham
I do think whether it's the Leafs, or the Habs, Oilers or Jets... Canada is going to be in tough with whoever they face in the conference finals.

TB/FLO was a great game, as was WSH/BOS the other night.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4559 posts
2849 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
I only care who scores for the Tim's App NHL contest.. free food*

Lots of goals please!! :twisted:
😱
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14625 posts
8890 upvotes
Toronto
I honestly haven't watched much (if any) non-North games this year...so it's definitely interesting to see.

I read the headlines and know the stats, but seeing it in action is totally different.

Add the element of the play-offs, and the fans, and it was awesome
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9716 posts
4001 upvotes
Toronto
The bolts-panthers game was seriously intense.
I hope at least one team in the North realizes that’s the type of intensity it will take to get far in the playoffs.

Also, sucks that whoever gets out of the North will likely have no fans if they play at home or have to play their games in a US city.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5935 posts
3718 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote: The bolts-panthers game was seriously intense.
I hope at least one team in the North realizes that’s the type of intensity it will take to get far in the playoffs.

Also, sucks that whoever gets out of the North will likely have no fans if they play at home or have to play their games in a US city.
Psychologically, it is weird to see US crowds moving beyond Covid, while we have empty buildings, and we are patiently waiting for Flames and Canucks to finish their seemingly meaningless games so we can actually start the postseason for the North.

I can't decide if this is a plus or minus for the Leafs.
Cheering fans when winning is awesome - scrutiny from fans when losing is not so awesome.
After so many many years of failure, I feel like I've been conditioned to expect collapse.
I'll only lament empty buildings when Leafs actually advance a round.
Oct 14, 2009
808 posts
344 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Boston is the team I expect to come out of the East, but they were very unimpressive in game 1.

Pittsburgh seemed to fare better against the Islanders this time. But they were undone by absolutely terrible goaltending. The Islanders started to clog the game a bit in the third, they might just end up running with this series. Malkin is out, and considering he hurt his knee shortly after he was out a big chunk of the season with a knee injury I wouldn't expect him to return.

I only watched a few minutes of the Minnesota-Vegas game, so I can't really comment.

Florida and Tampa was high energy. Lots of lead changes and very physical. The NHL does need to close the playoff salary cap loophole. It's kind of bullshit that they can just add Kucherov at the end of the season and not worry about it.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2930 posts
2543 upvotes
Markham
ugly wrote: Boston is the team I expect to come out of the East, but they were very unimpressive in game 1.

Pittsburgh seemed to fare better against the Islanders this time. But they were undone by absolutely terrible goaltending. The Islanders started to clog the game a bit in the third, they might just end up running with this series. Malkin is out, and considering he hurt his knee shortly after he was out a big chunk of the season with a knee injury I wouldn't expect him to return.

I only watched a few minutes of the Minnesota-Vegas game, so I can't really comment.

Florida and Tampa was high energy. Lots of lead changes and very physical. The NHL does need to close the playoff salary cap loophole. It's kind of bullshit that they can just add Kucherov at the end of the season and not worry about it.
Tampa also gets away with being in a state with favorable tax circumstances. It's bullshit for teams in Canada because the taxes impacts the salary cap. The need to modify the rules that accounts for the tax differences to level the playing field for teams who can spend to the cap.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
1466 posts
796 upvotes
Etobicoke
Killer B's!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14625 posts
8890 upvotes
Toronto
Boston-Washington wasn't nearly as impressive as FLA-TBAY.

Ovi just looked old.

Cale Makar....wow. What a player.
Oct 14, 2009
808 posts
344 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Yeah, Ovechkin was mostly invisible in that last game. And so was Backstrom too.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14625 posts
8890 upvotes
Toronto
Game 2 of FLA-Tbay wasn't nearly as good as game 1....unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2930 posts
2543 upvotes
Markham
Looks to me that Florida is cooked already.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3414 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Go Pens Go
Oct 14, 2009
808 posts
344 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
SoGood wrote: Go Pens Go
They looked a lot better in game 2. Getting the lead early helped. The Islanders turned things a bit in the 2nd, but the Penguins came back pretty strong in the third. Pittsburgh didn't sit back, and got a few scoring chances, and all that prevented the Islanders from sustaining any pressure.

The problem for Pittsburgh is that they have a lot of trouble getting off the boards. So even when they have a ton of possession, they don't generate a lot of high quality scoring chances. They end up taking a lot of sharp angle shots. And their PP has been horrifyingly bad.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5935 posts
3718 upvotes
Toronto
I believe in you, Caps....

Edit - FRACK!!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2930 posts
2543 upvotes
Markham
F*** the Bruins. One thing Leaf and Habs fans can agree on.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
1466 posts
796 upvotes
Etobicoke
shikotee wrote: I believe in you, Caps....

Edit - FRACK!!!!!
HDawg wrote: F*** the Bruins. One thing Leaf and Habs fans can agree on.
Go B's!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5993 posts
5520 upvotes
I'm fine with the refereeing in the Toronto-Montreal game, but there is no consistency across the other playoff games. Just like the Dept of Player Safety Whim
$600mm to get "Unch"
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3414 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Go Pens Go

Jeff Carter looking like a steal.
I wasn't all that thrilled with the trade because the Pens were playing well with who they had in the lineup and I thought Carter was on the decline.
Glad he's proving me wrong.