[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17020 posts
12421 upvotes
Toronto
SoGood wrote: Go Pens Go

Jeff Carter looking like a steal.
I wasn't all that thrilled with the trade because the Pens were playing well with who they had in the lineup and I thought Carter was on the decline.
Glad he's proving me wrong.
I wish the Staal trade worked out even half as well as Carter
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1112 posts
610 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
SoGood wrote: Go Pens Go

Jeff Carter looking like a steal.
I wasn't all that thrilled with the trade because the Pens were playing well with who they had in the lineup and I thought Carter was on the decline.
Glad he's proving me wrong.
I hadn't seen Carter play in a while, so I assumed he'd be slow and maybe serviceable as a guy who could play in front of the net and maybe score the odd garbage goal owing to his scoring touch. But he's been moving really well.

I kind of have the Pens as a bit of a dark horse team. Nobody expected much from them this season. Even with winning the division, they're not really even thought of as a favourite to come out of their division. With the addition of Carter, they have have a Crosby line and a Malkin line (assuming he can stay healthy). Those two aren't as dominant as they used to be but they're still effective. Then they can have the Carter line. With a line as effective as that as the third line, it creates a lot of matchup problems. And even their 4th line with Blueger is really a pretty decent 3rd line. So they have forward depth.

Their defense is underrated. Letang is the only big name. But they can roll 6 solid defenders. Matheson and Ceci have been solid all season. And Marino and Pettersson are also solid. Teams often have their #1 pair eat all the minutes, and usually try to hide their 3rd pairing as much as possible, or at the very least have to limit the ice time of their #6 defenceman. But both their bottom pairings are better than a typical 3rd pairing. So they essentially have a #1 unit, and two #2 units.

As long as Jarry can avoid letting in weak goals, he's a good enough goalie that they can win with him.

There are some issues with the way they play. Crosby's unit relies far too much on trying to score on sharp angle shots. The team runs into difficulty getting the puck off the boards in the offensive zone. But they have a lot of good pieces.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3554 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
ugly wrote: I hadn't seen Carter play in a while, so I assumed he'd be slow and maybe serviceable as a guy who could play in front of the net and maybe score the odd garbage goal owing to his scoring touch. But he's been moving really well.

I kind of have the Pens as a bit of a dark horse team. Nobody expected much from them this season. Even with winning the division, they're not really even thought of as a favourite to come out of their division. With the addition of Carter, they have have a Crosby line and a Malkin line (assuming he can stay healthy). Those two aren't as dominant as they used to be but they're still effective. Then they can have the Carter line. With a line as effective as that as the third line, it creates a lot of matchup problems. And even their 4th line with Blueger is really a pretty decent 3rd line. So they have forward depth.

Their defense is underrated. Letang is the only big name. But they can roll 6 solid defenders. Matheson and Ceci have been solid all season. And Marino and Pettersson are also solid. Teams often have their #1 pair eat all the minutes, and usually try to hide their 3rd pairing as much as possible, or at the very least have to limit the ice time of their #6 defenceman. But both their bottom pairings are better than a typical 3rd pairing. So they essentially have a #1 unit, and two #2 units.

As long as Jarry can avoid letting in weak goals, he's a good enough goalie that they can win with him.

There are some issues with the way they play. Crosby's unit relies far too much on trying to score on sharp angle shots. The team runs into difficulty getting the puck off the boards in the offensive zone. But they have a lot of good pieces.
agreed. this is most forward depth they've had since the cup winning teams in 16 and 17
one name you didn't mention is Letang's defense partner.,Dumoulin. This guy somewhat forgettable because he plays with Letang, but he's the backbone of the defense. When he was injured during the regular season, the Pens struggled. When he came back, they started rolling.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17020 posts
12421 upvotes
Toronto
Kadri suspended 8 games

Avs' Kadri suspended eight games for illegal check to head
https://www.tsn.ca/1.1643605
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
8976 posts
10128 upvotes
All of a sudden, the NHL is releasing video explanation of suspensions again. WTF was this when Wilson went threw down Panarin?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8032 posts
5989 upvotes
Toronto
MrMom wrote: All of a sudden, the NHL is releasing video explanation of suspensions again. WTF was this when Wilson went threw down Panarin?
Zero sense....
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
11434 posts
4867 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Kadri suspended 8 games

Avs' Kadri suspended eight games for illegal check to head
https://www.tsn.ca/1.1643605
What a racist league this is. Wilson get nothing for his crap, Kadri's suspensions keep increasing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8032 posts
5989 upvotes
Toronto
McWho?
Jets, Jets, Jets....
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
7666 posts
725 upvotes
damn... what is going on with the Oilers?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11585 posts
3978 upvotes
Winnipeg
shikotee wrote: McWho?
Jets, Jets, Jets....
TheRealVinsanity wrote: damn... what is going on with the Oilers?
Defensemen demolo's save on his back.. hands up!!! in slow motion is a sick steal on McDa-was-Robbed!! That was crazy. Otherwise it was another chess game again neither team letting the game open up too aware the other is overly top heavy. Its not gonna be a stellar exciting series like Tampa/Panthers or Pens and islanders. Its like the Jets are pulling a "rope da dope" with an out of the blue very good defensive style grit game has them up 2.
ugly wrote: I hadn't seen Carter play in a while, so I assumed he'd be slow and maybe serviceable as a guy who could play in front of the net and maybe score the odd garbage goal owing to his scoring touch. But he's been moving really well.
For the pens to grab carter I felt was easily the best underrated veteran to grab of the lot this year.

The next wash vs Bos game is gonna be ugly!!!! that's a must watch game of all of them right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1112 posts
610 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
lead wrote: The next wash vs Bos game is gonna be ugly!!!! that's a must watch game of all of them right now.
The Caps look like they're about to roll over and die. They've barely been in the series.

Pittsburgh was totally flat this afternoon. That enabled the Islanders to interfere their way to victory. Pittsburgh basically had 3 own goals. Letang pushes the Islander forward into Jarry on the first goal so he wasn't able to make a routine save. Second goal goes of Ceci's foot. And Blueger has a bad reaction and taps in a rebound instead of clearing it. Malkin looked like he might have taken a hit to the knee again. He got up quick and played the rest of the game, so maybe it was okay.

Looks like Bobrovsky is back into his typical playoff form. I didn't watch the game, but Florida outshot Tampa Bay 41-26, and Bobrosky let in 5 goals on 14 shots in less than half the game. But it looks like Kucherov and Sergachev might have been hurt towards the end.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8032 posts
5989 upvotes
Toronto
And just like that, the Caps are gonzo. Yikes.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1821 posts
397 upvotes
The Oilers are done. They just don't have a playoff mentality...how do you give up a 4-1 lead?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
2560 posts
2039 upvotes
Etobicoke
shikotee wrote: And just like that, the Caps are gonzo. Yikes.
Boston TCOB like I expected.

Gotta feel sorry for Oilers fans. A friend texted that they allowed three unanswered goals and as soon as I got in and turned on the game, Winnipeg stuck the dagger through Oiler nation. Just brutal! Gotta wonder if McDavid requests a trade eventually. Gotta be wearing on him. I know NHL superstars rarely demand trades but something has to give in Edmonton sooner rather than later.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8032 posts
5989 upvotes
Toronto
NoFrillBill wrote: Boston TCOB like I expected.

Gotta feel sorry for Oilers fans. A friend texted that they allowed three unanswered goals and as soon as I got in and turned on the game, Winnipeg stuck the dagger through Oiler nation. Just brutal! Gotta wonder if McDavid requests a trade eventually. Gotta be wearing on him. I know NHL superstars rarely demand trades but something has to give in Edmonton sooner rather than later.
The real story, other than game 3, was hot goaltending for the Jets.
Unfortunately, the Oil does not have such between their pipes.
Hopefully they get it together to avoid the sweep.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
2560 posts
2039 upvotes
Etobicoke
shikotee wrote: The real story, other than game 3, was hot goaltending for the Jets.
Unfortunately, the Oil does not have such between their pipes.
Hopefully they get it together to avoid the sweep.
The amount of #1 picks the Oilers have had over the years and they can't get a sniff at a cup run is pretty pathetic. Having arguably the best player in the league and nothing changers for them. Katz must be going crazy.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14369 posts
3608 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
heat?? wrote: The Oilers are done. They just don't have a playoff mentality...how do you give up a 4-1 lead?
WTF? I didn't even bother watching the game (after watching the BOSvsWAS) because I thought there was no point. Guess I missed out.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11585 posts
3978 upvotes
Winnipeg
heat?? wrote: The Oilers are done. They just don't have a playoff mentality...how do you give up a 4-1 lead?
the jets never have their heads in the game when at home all year. Its the first game back for the jets its should have been a gimmie being up 2 already.

Then Archibald gets possessed by the spirit of Kadri and pulls a Brad Marchand dirty low hit for no good reason what so ever when their already up 3 easy peasy lemon squezzy.

That just pisses the whole team off. 3 minutes later they do a 360 and pull a late 3rd comeback like the "2012 LA kings" . So its tied. Keeping with the LA Kings analogy finish them off with a jeff carter to Doughty face off win for a one timer to take it in overtime!
May 17, 2003
10894 posts
5481 upvotes
Closed at the request of the original poster. Continue the discussion in the regular NHL thread.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11585 posts
3978 upvotes
Winnipeg
CaptSmethwick wrote: We'll see if the Oilers have character but it's hard when you're up against a hot goalie.
but... smith has been hot! Arguably the best player for the oilers so far

I like when the reported ask Draisaitl a question and he answer "we can't roll over for them" and the reporter chirped back.."but you just did?"

tonight has 2 outcomes they either win or there will be alot of fights.

I'm calling fights either way.