• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2021 1:35 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3554 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting to see Oilers and Jets play b2b in the playoffs

I would like to see McDavid ask for a trade, he's a generational talent, but aside from Draisatl, he has no one around him... It's been like 6 seasons for him

Must be draining
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7979 posts
5941 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: but... smith has been hot! Arguably the best player for the oilers so far
Yes and No.
Smith is currently ranked 8th for GAA (2.49), and 13th for SVP (.914)
From 20 playoff goalies.
He's very much not stinking it up, but he's also not getting it done when needed.
Looking at the last loss, he basically pulled a classic Freddie "Fools Gold" Anderson.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11572 posts
3968 upvotes
Winnipeg
shikotee wrote: Yes and No.
Smith is currently ranked 8th for GAA (2.49), and 13th for SVP (.914)
From 20 playoff goalies.
He's very much not stinking it up, but he's also not getting it done when needed.
Looking at the last loss, he basically pulled a classic Freddie "Fools Gold" Anderson.
if wasn't he wouldn't be playing the back to back. He has had a good run with the oilers on the back half of the season to keep them up there and during the playoffs so far. Its been pretty close between the 2 goalies during this series and its only come down to a goal each game and shots were close.The last game he was still peppered with +35 most coming from the last 8 minutes. 10 less than heli but when you get over +30 its kinda mute.

The jets are the jets. They are like the LA kings of old. They can be bad and scary good even in the same game.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
8923 posts
10045 upvotes
I guess a Sabres fan downvoted this thread. "Can't get this deal." Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7979 posts
5941 upvotes
Toronto
MrMom wrote: I guess a Sabres fan downvoted this thread. "Can't get this deal." Face With Tears Of Joy
My money is on an RFD nutter who has a 50+ blocked user list, and uses his thumb to teach lessons to his enemies, lol.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3803 posts
3186 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Going to Triple OT in the Winnipeg/Edmonton series. Nothing else on, might as well watch.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7979 posts
5941 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: Going to Triple OT in the Winnipeg/Edmonton series. Nothing else on, might as well watch.
Too sleepy to continue....
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
22019 posts
1762 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Gibsons wrote: Going to Triple OT in the Winnipeg/Edmonton series. Nothing else on, might as well watch.
shikotee wrote: Too sleepy to continue....
An extremely long game. McDavid made a bad play and Connor made them play. Bet nobody expected the Jets to sweep McDavid and the Oilers.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
630 upvotes
Leuven
Sgt_Strider wrote: An extremely long game. McDavid made a bad play and Connor made them play. Bet nobody expected the Jets to sweep McDavid and the Oilers.
It was rare to find someone who thought the Jets would win the series let alone sweep it. Love to see it happen to the Oilers but feel bad for McDavid. It's crazy to see someone that good not have any success in the playoffs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
7659 posts
723 upvotes
damn... did not expect this from the Oilers.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3554 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
if you run into a hot goalie, you're pretty much done, regardless of how good your team is or can be.
Oilers have top end talent and then a whole lot of nothing. Jets are better balanced throughout their lineup and got a .949 save percentage from their goalie.
WOWWWW

Pens are running into the same thing with Sorokin, they're outplaying NYI, but running into a hot goalie - Sorokin has a .951 save percentage in 3 games, all wins. Pens have won the 2 games that he didn't start.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7979 posts
5941 upvotes
Toronto
BongoBong wrote: It was rare to find someone who thought the Jets would win the series let alone sweep it. Love to see it happen to the Oilers but feel bad for McDavid. It's crazy to see someone that good not have any success in the playoffs.
I had a good feeling about the Jets, but did not expect a sweep.
Happy for the Jets.
Just wish they could go further - unfortunate that they will likely face the Leafs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5329 posts
7187 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
Oilers too inexperienced

McDavid will never win a cup staying on a Canadian team
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3803 posts
3186 upvotes
Southern Ontario
chilli604 wrote: Oilers too inexperienced

McDavid will never win a cup staying on a Canadian team
He just needs more depth around him. He can't carry the puck and play 60 minutes himself. All he needs is a supporting cast with good skill and work ethic. Maybe the Oilers should do a Gretzky or Lindros type deal and get 4 or 5 top prospects for him.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11572 posts
3968 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gibsons wrote: He just needs more depth around him. He can't carry the puck and play 60 minutes himself. All he needs is a supporting cast with good skill and work ethic. Maybe the Oilers should do a Gretzky or Lindros type deal and get 4 or 5 top prospects for him.
Oilers can still claim that "Connor scored the gaming winning goal In triple overtime of an elimination game in the playoffs" and..... not be wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5329 posts
7187 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
I just checked when McDavids contract expires. It's 2026. Yikes!
Oct 17, 2017
114 posts
61 upvotes
This was Edmonton's best chance to make some noise. When they go back to the regular West next year... they're gonna be stomped like regular. Connor McTrout is gonna force himself out of town sooner rather than later for sure right?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11572 posts
3968 upvotes
Winnipeg
"I'm glad he's got his kids...when I found out where it hit him I was relieved because I thought it was his wrist" -#NHLJets head coach Paul Maurice on the Wheeler shot block
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5329 posts
7187 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
Canes win in OT. Wasn't the prettiest goal

Was hoping Nashville would win.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3450 posts
2853 upvotes
Markham
Gibsons wrote: He just needs more depth around him. He can't carry the puck and play 60 minutes himself. All he needs is a supporting cast with good skill and work ethic. Maybe the Oilers should do a Gretzky or Lindros type deal and get 4 or 5 top prospects for him.
Oilers are about to unload $12m in cap, so that will help. They still have that horrendous Koskinen contract though.

I do agree that trading McD would get back a good return, but he’s the face of that franchise. I think trading Draisatl would get back a decent haul. At least one proven top-6 player, a top-9 player or #4/5 D and maybe a solid prospect. Oilers are in win now so they don’t need a bunch of prospects.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB