2021: Outback XT versus Rav4 Hybrid versus Kia Sorento

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 8:52 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2410 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure you have a good set of winter tires, regardless of which car you buy.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2011
22 posts
6 upvotes
eblend wrote: Read again, I drove AROUND a new Toyota Rav4, helped him get out, then carried on. He was trying to get out from residential road and ended up diagonally across into oncoming traffic, so I drove around the side through fresh undisturbed powder, parked, and got my shovel to dig him out and push it. Since there have pushed out 3 more cars, none were AWD though, my neighbors RWD mercedes, a Sienna and just this morning a Toyota Yaris (no idea where this guy thinks he is going in FWD small car like that on all seasons)
Ah that makes more sense. Do you think the new outback would do as well? You probably have higher ground clearance which is probably very important
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1975 posts
1012 upvotes
Alberta
rmleider wrote: Ah that makes more sense. Do you think the new outback would do as well? You probably have higher ground clearance which is probably very important
Crosstrek, Outback and Forester all sit on the same "global platform", which is extended in height and lengths to accommodate the different styles, but they all have 8.7" of ground clearance. Rav4 has 8.4-8.6", so not much difference, so don't know if that played into the equation. I was just surprised he was stuck more than anything as I felt very confident all day, despite the crazy snow..i was basically a plow with my front bumper.
Feb 25, 2015
697 posts
233 upvotes
ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: Hmm. Do I want to potentially replace an incredibly expensive battery (both from a $ and environmental perspective?).
Toyota has a 10 year 240,000km warranty on hybrid components. Any new car will have a devastating environmental impact. Hybrid will burn less fuel and in turn create less CO2.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3807 posts
3837 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
eblend wrote: Read again, I drove AROUND a new Toyota Rav4, helped him get out, then carried on. He was trying to get out from residential road and ended up diagonally across into oncoming traffic, so I drove around the side through fresh undisturbed powder, parked, and got my shovel to dig him out and push it. Since there have pushed out 3 more cars, none were AWD though, my neighbors RWD mercedes, a Sienna and just this morning a Toyota Yaris (no idea where this guy thinks he is going in FWD small car like that on all seasons)
It's all tires. All seasons (especially if they're old) + snow = no traction. Doesn't matter if its AWD/RWD/FWD unless they have winter tires they're going to get stuck in snow. If people can't be bothered to buy winter tires I wouldn't help them get unstuck, they're just going to get stuck again 10 feet later. A family member has a Porsche that he daily's in the snow with nice winter tires, and no issues. I just bought a FWD little car with brand new all seasons (not my tire choice just what it came with), and its a joke in the snow. Literally slides around all over the place and struggles in an inch of powder. Ordered winter tires for it already just waiting for it to show up.

OP you honestly have to test drive them and see which you like. Subaru will have a better AWD system but I hate their interiors, the Toyota will probably have much better reliability but will be less sporty. If I was buying new I'd get the Toyota. Whatever you get just make sure to buy winter tires and you'll be fine in the snow. If you get stuck with 8" of ground clearance + AWD + winter tires then you're doing something dumb. I've never gotten stuck on my Golf with 4.8" ground clearance, just some times I turn into a snow plow.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4374 posts
4642 upvotes
Invalid12 wrote: Toyota has a 10 year 240,000km warranty on hybrid components. Any new car will have a devastating environmental impact. Hybrid will burn less fuel and in turn create less CO2.
That's not the point but OK.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1151 posts
727 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Contrary to a post above.. If the Subaru adaptive cruise control stops working you can set it to regular cruise control.. Surprisingly many owners didn't read their owners manuals.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1151 posts
727 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Contrary to a post above.. If the Subaru adaptive cruise control stops working you can set it to regular cruise control..
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1975 posts
1012 upvotes
Alberta
Beneful1 wrote: Contrary to a post above.. If the Subaru adaptive cruise control stops working you can set it to regular cruise control..
Quoted for Truth!

I love the adaptive cruise functionality, use it all the time on the highway.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3947 posts
2689 upvotes
Montreal
Beneful1 wrote: Contrary to a post above.. If the Subaru adaptive cruise control stops working you can set it to regular cruise control.. Surprisingly many owners didn't read their owners manuals.
Read, owner's manual, brain, does, not, compute.

Really wish I had it though, but my poor man's trim did not even have the option for it.
Feb 25, 2015
697 posts
233 upvotes
ON
Op did you make a decision?
I find the the New Sorento XT vs the Outback XT to be an interesting comparison.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)