Richmond Hill
They need to bring the alphard over here... ugh
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1131 posts
944 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
patrickkc wrote: They need to bring the alphard over here... ugh
I see a couple imported RHD 2005 Alphard's one is sort of a mini RV/camper conversion that easily reverts back to full passenger carrier.

Japan/China LOVE minivans, so they get some really nice stuff. The Japan Odyssey is much nicer than the North American one, and they could even get the CR-V Real-Time AWD in them. The interiors in Honda's and Toyota's are sometimes better than our North American Lexus/Acura.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4820 posts
3192 upvotes
Ontario
I bought one of the first Camry Hybrids in summer 2006. Why has it taken 14 years for Toyota to hybridize the Sienna which would benefit more from regen braking etc due to weight? They are surely the least innovative and least progressive of all the manufacturers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9198 posts
10691 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Well they only update the Sienna once a decade so I guess this is big news for them.

Only interesting thing to me is if they keep the AWD option....which is the only reason I bought one.

Toyota for the most part has been happy to be know more for reliability than progressive and innovative. It’s worked well for them. If they don’t do something stupid like overprice the hybrid and saddle it only with the highest trim....they could sell a lot of a reasonably priced hybrid Sienna. It will likely sell 10x More than the “progressive” PHEV Pacifica.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4820 posts
3192 upvotes
Ontario
cartfan123 wrote: Well they only update the Sienna once a decade so I guess this is big news for them.

Only interesting thing to me is if they keep the AWD option....which is the only reason I bought one.

Toyota for the most part has been happy to be know more for reliability than progressive and innovative. It’s worked well for them. If they don’t do something stupid like overprice the hybrid and saddle it only with the highest trim....they could sell a lot of a reasonably priced hybrid Sienna. It will likely sell 10x More than the “progressive” PHEV Pacifica.
Pacifica outsells Sienna. Sienna hybrid will no doubt be very expensive like Highlander hybrid. Pacifica hybrid is a big battery PHEV which makes it inherently more expensive than a small battery hybrid which limits demand.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9278 posts
7406 upvotes
Kitchener
PHEV > Hybrid every single day of the week. This is ultimately not a very special vehicle, unlike the misnamed Pacifica Hybrid (which is ACTUALLY a PHEV).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6926 posts
3518 upvotes
Ottawa
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I bought one of the first Camry Hybrids in summer 2006. Why has it taken 14 years for Toyota to hybridize the Sienna which would benefit more from regen braking etc due to weight? They are surely the least innovative and least progressive of all the manufacturers.
I do agree that I'm not sure why it's taken them so long (I've been hoping for one since 2008) but I suspect it's simply because there was no money to be made. Minivans are a competitive relatively small market and I suspect adding hybrid was pricing them out of the market.
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Pacifica outsells Sienna. Sienna hybrid will no doubt be very expensive like Highlander hybrid. Pacifica hybrid is a big battery PHEV which makes it inherently more expensive than a small battery hybrid which limits demand.
The Pacifica does outsell the Sienna but that's the gas version and that's mostly because of fleet (mostly rentals) purchases. FCA doesn't release Pacifica vs PacHy numbers but based on registrations in the US, it's estimated that approximately 90% of Pacificas sold are the gas version and they only sell about 10-15k Pacifica Hybrids per year.

I am curious to see if the Sienna is going to simply be a regular hybrid, a PHEV (i.e. Sienna Prime), use their iAWD rear electric motors setup, etc and what price range they sell it at. If they can keep the price similar but boost it to around 30MPG, I think a lot of minivan buyers would be interested (coming from a long term minivan owner that's lived with 15-20 mpg for years).

I do agree that the Sienna Hybrid might be fairly expensive although perhaps only offering hybrid will help them control the costs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9198 posts
10691 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Pacifica outsells Sienna. Sienna hybrid will no doubt be very expensive like Highlander hybrid. Pacifica hybrid is a big battery PHEV which makes it inherently more expensive than a small battery hybrid which limits demand.
I guess it depends on where and what data you are looking at. In Canada, the 2019 data suggests

Chrysler Pacifica: 3,731, down 38 percent

"Although stylish, modern and luxurious, the Pacifica hasn’t captivated the Canadian market. Fewer than 20,000 have been sold to date."

Toyota Sienna: 14,631, down 3 percent (and mind you a dated 2011 platform)

"2019 was the ninth consecutive year in which Toyota Canada reported five-digit sales figures for the Sienna, and the van’s market share climbed from 21.5 per cent in 2018 to 24.4 per cent in 2019."

https://driving.ca/dodge/features/featu ... ian-market
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5281 posts
2887 upvotes

I am curious to see if the Sienna is going to simply be a regular hybrid, a PHEV (i.e. Sienna Prime), use their iAWD rear electric motors setup, etc and what price range they sell it at. If they can keep the price similar but boost it to around 30MPG, I think a lot of minivan buyers would be interested (coming from a long term minivan owner that's lived with 15-20 mpg for years).

I do agree that the Sienna Hybrid might be fairly expensive although perhaps only offering hybrid will help them control the costs.
My prediction is that the new Sienna will have exactly the same Highlander Hybrid's configuration. 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine and 2 electric motors + CVT.

I mean, Toyota likes to play it safe. But it would be amazing if they would use an alternative configuration. For example, with a little bit more HP (just a bit more than the Highlander). It would inject new life to the minivan segment. Otherwise, if the two vehicles are exactly the same, consumers will just choose the Highlander. Because SUV.

There is no Highlander Prime, so I don't expect to see a Sienna Prime, but it would be amazing news.

Last, I hope it has a style of its own. Don't take a Corolla design / style and just stretch it bigger.
Mar 21, 2013
4431 posts
6957 upvotes
Canada
We got the EV people saying the Sienna's inferior before its even been revealed, hyping up the Pacifica PHEV that spontaneously combusts and has massive electronics issues. Classic.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4820 posts
3192 upvotes
Ontario
Blubbs wrote: We got the EV people saying the Sienna's inferior before its even been revealed, hyping up the Pacifica PHEV that spontaneously combusts and has massive electronics issues. Classic.
Who said Sienna was inferior?

Who said any hype statements about Pacifica PHEV? Limited demand is hardly hype.

Do you have EV paranoia?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4431 posts
6957 upvotes
Canada
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Who said Sienna was inferior?

Who said any hype statements about Pacifica PHEV? Limited demand is hardly hype.

Do you have EV paranoia?
Nope! Just bought a Clarity and am excited to drive it today. Wasn't talking about you.

Also I expect a lot of Prime PHEV versions to come out eventually though the global depression might kill or delay them.

My real dream though is for Toyota to find a way to make the Sienna hybrid have 5000lbs towing capacity. It's not going to happen though.
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
Can't wait to test drive the 2021 after having a change to drive the current gen for a week, what a drive.
Koodo/Public Mobile
Jun 19, 2007
263 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
Blubbs wrote: Nope! Just bought a Clarity and am excited to drive it today. Wasn't talking about you.

Also I expect a lot of Prime PHEV versions to come out eventually though the global depression might kill or delay them.

My real dream though is for Toyota to find a way to make the Sienna hybrid have 5000lbs towing capacity. It's not going to happen though.
And don't get me wrong, my next car will be ether Toyota or Lexus.

Just heads up : the only Toyota vehicles that are designed to tow anything Toyota Tacoma and Tundra. Don't ask me how i learned this while towing 2000lb pop up camper behind my my 3500Lb rated Highlander. Just google. There are a lot of disappointed customers who got sold on the towing capacity that doesn't really mean anything other than a hypothetical number which contradicts vehicle and component design specification. You are going to find all about it when it is too late.
And don't get me wrong, my next car will be ether Toyota or Lexus.
Last edited by allanbradl on May 15th, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4431 posts
6957 upvotes
Canada
allanbradl wrote: Just heads up : the only Toyota vehicles that are designed to tow anything Toyota Tacoma and Tundra. Don't ask me how i learned this while towing 2000lb pop up camper behind my my 3500Lb rated Highlander. Just google. There are a lot of disappointed customers who got sold on the towing capacity that doesn't really mean anything other than a hypothetical number which contradicts vehicle and component design specification. You are going to find all about it when it is too late.
Was that a highlander hybrid? I heard the rear motor was too weak in the old version and the traction system cut power on inclines. The new system is better according to reviews, but still won't be as good as proper mechanical AWD.

I'm not too worried as I'm probably just going to get a used Q7 with the 7700lb towing capacity instead of this, spouse really wants a travel trailer. Love hybrids though.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
2462 posts
3720 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Blubbs wrote: Nope! Just bought a Clarity and am excited to drive it today. Wasn't talking about you.

I've got a different dream: an AWD PHEV Sienna that can do ~50 kms in EV driving during COLD days. Must have a decent pick-up, and I'm willing to pay up to $60K for that. This would be a much better value than the overpriced Model Y at $76K.

I guess I have got a threshold of not spending more than $60K on a car.
Be Balanced. Be Diversified. Stay Invested.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4431 posts
6957 upvotes
Canada
TuxedoBlack wrote: I've got a different dream: an AWD PHEV Sienna that can do ~50 kms in EV driving during COLD days. Must have a decent pick-up, and I'm willing to pay up to $60K for that. This would be a much better value than the overpriced Model Y at $76K.

I guess I have got a threshold of not spending more than $60K on a car.
I mean I like that dream too, haha. More pie in the sky but one day maybe. It would be rad if they announced both Sienna Hybrid and Sienna Prime, but I'm thinking the chances of that are close to nil.
Jul 19, 2017
78 posts
69 upvotes
Vancouver, B.C.
Anyone else hoping it will be a V6 hybrid instead of a four cylinder?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
2462 posts
3720 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
otmshank wrote: Anyone else hoping it will be a V6 hybrid instead of a four cylinder?
Huge pass if it's a 4-cylinder engine. Unless it has a massive battery to power the hybrid system, I would NOT be getting a minivan with a 4 cylinder engine.
Be Balanced. Be Diversified. Stay Invested.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4431 posts
6957 upvotes
Canada
TuxedoBlack wrote: Huge pass if it's a 4-cylinder engine. Unless it has a massive battery to power the hybrid system, I would NOT be getting a minivan with a 4 cylinder engine.
It's almost certainly going to be the same powertrain as the 2020 Highlander Hybrid. That car weighs 4600lbs. A lot depends on the power of the electric motors, but it's probably not going to be impressive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)