Automotive

2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid AWD with 35 mpg combined

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2022 4:20 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2597 posts
1215 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: I mean I like that dream too, haha. More pie in the sky but one day maybe. It would be rad if they announced both Sienna Hybrid and Sienna Prime, but I'm thinking the chances of that are close to nil.
We will find out in 3 days. The RAV4 Prime will probably MSRP at $45k or less, so an extra $15k should be easily attainable for a Sienna PHEV. The Sienna V6 already has a 0-60 ~ 7 seconds.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3851 posts
1784 upvotes
Grimsby
As someone who’s had a Pacifica PHEV for over 3 years, I hope what we see is a PHEV Sienna revealed on Monday. I’ve always liked the Sienna, hoping to see something exciting in this update.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
allanbradl wrote: And don't get me wrong, my next car will be ether Toyota or Lexus.

Just heads up : the only Toyota vehicles that are designed to tow anything Toyota Tacoma and Tundra. Don't ask me how i learned this while towing 2000lb pop up camper behind my my 3500Lb rated Highlander. Just google. There are a lot of disappointed customers who got sold on the towing capacity that doesn't really mean anything other than a hypothetical number which contradicts vehicle and component design specification. You are going to find all about it when it is too late.
And don't get me wrong, my next car will be ether Toyota or Lexus.
Yet in europe sedans do plenty of towing.
joey003 wrote: As someone who’s had a Pacifica PHEV for over 3 years, I hope what we see is a PHEV Sienna revealed on Monday. I’ve always liked the Sienna, hoping to see something exciting in this update.
Had? What happened to it?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3851 posts
1784 upvotes
Grimsby
Messerschmitt wrote: Yet in europe sedans do plenty of towing.

Had? What happened to it?
Oops, poor wording on my point, still have it lol. It’s been an excellent vehicle. We were never in the market for a minivan, we were moving on from a golf wagon and wanted a PHEV or EV of some sort that was at least wagon like or bigger. Still kind of surprises me that at the time (besides Tesla and small EVs) that the only option was a PHEV minivan. I’ve seen so many family members with large SUVs with third rows, but after owning a minivan none of these vehicles really come close to the practicality and space you get in a van.

I’ve mentioned it many times in this forum. It’s been excellent. Great range for its size/weight, 6.6kW on board charging, ~25,000km/year we’ve put on it with 80% of that being electric only. In terms of maintenance I’ve essentially only had to do an oil change once per year. Kind of amazed its been well over 3 years since its introduction, and no one else has introduced something similar. And it was from FCA of all companies too.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55292 posts
20136 upvotes
Lexus USA just started offering 0% 60 months terms. I think a historical first.

Toyota Canada should offer lower financing rates on its HEVs and PHEVs too, not higher.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17993 posts
17035 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alanbrenton wrote: Lexus USA just started offering 0% 60 months terms. I think a historical first.

Toyota Canada should offer lower financing rates on its HEVs and PHEVs too, not higher.
Probably won't. We as Canadians always get the shaft and seem to enjoy it LOL
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55292 posts
20136 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Probably won't. We as Canadians always get the shaft and seem to enjoy it LOL
We are also on average poorer lol and have winter to contend with. Good thing our MSRP starts lower.

If everyone started doing more DIY, they will start jacking up our MSRPs.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
joey003 wrote: Oops, poor wording on my point, still have it lol. It’s been an excellent vehicle. We were never in the market for a minivan, we were moving on from a golf wagon and wanted a PHEV or EV of some sort that was at least wagon like or bigger. Still kind of surprises me that at the time (besides Tesla and small EVs) that the only option was a PHEV minivan. I’ve seen so many family members with large SUVs with third rows, but after owning a minivan none of these vehicles really come close to the practicality and space you get in a van.

I’ve mentioned it many times in this forum. It’s been excellent. Great range for its size/weight, 6.6kW on board charging, ~25,000km/year we’ve put on it with 80% of that being electric only. In terms of maintenance I’ve essentially only had to do an oil change once per year. Kind of amazed its been well over 3 years since its introduction, and no one else has introduced something similar. And it was from FCA of all companies too.
Nothing beats vans in terms of practicality yes. I'd choose one too, unless I would need the open top of a truck for hauling. (then again I moved an entire 2bd apartment in a van - 7-8 trips, 5km away).

Today in north america (and even europe) is this new craze with SUV's, but they are worthless, other than using more petrol. I personally do not enjoy at all the higher seating and more upright seat (vs higher legs in a sedan, similar to what F1 has, but they have a much more extreme legs up and forward).

For utility and larger family I would definitely pick a van vs a SUV. Otherwise I'll stick to my sedans as I like the low ride the best. And unless family is more than 4 members, sedans are perfectly suitable, when people now scream SUV's when the first child comes in.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3851 posts
1784 upvotes
Grimsby
Messerschmitt wrote: Nothing beats vans in terms of practicality yes. I'd choose one too, unless I would need the open top of a truck for hauling. (then again I moved an entire 2bd apartment in a van - 7-8 trips, 5km away).

Today in north america (and even europe) is this new craze with SUV's, but they are worthless, other than using more petrol. I personally do not enjoy at all the higher seating and more upright seat (vs higher legs in a sedan, similar to what F1 has, but they have a much more extreme legs up and forward).

For utility and larger family I would definitely pick a van vs a SUV. Otherwise I'll stick to my sedans as I like the low ride the best. And unless family is more than 4 members, sedans are perfectly suitable, when people now scream SUV's when the first child comes in.
Yup, agreed. My personal favourite is hatches and wagons. We had a Golf Wagon TDI for 5 years prior to the VW buyback at the time.

I had a family member looking at getting a larger vehicle 2+ years ago and insisted on being able to carry 6 people if needed. I was trying to push them towards the Pacifica PHEV, especially given that there was a 14K Ontario rebate at the time, but they refused to be “seen driving a van” lol. They ended up with an Atlas, which, while I like the vehicle, I find it terrible to drive - seating position, height/size. And they fly through fuel with it too.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55292 posts
20136 upvotes
joey003 wrote: Yup, agreed. My personal favourite is hatches and wagons. We had a Golf Wagon TDI for 5 years prior to the VW buyback at the time.

I had a family member looking at getting a larger vehicle 2+ years ago and insisted on being able to carry 6 people if needed. I was trying to push them towards the Pacifica PHEV, especially given that there was a 14K Ontario rebate at the time, but they refused to be “seen driving a van” lol. They ended up with an Atlas, which, while I like the vehicle, I find it terrible to drive - seating position, height/size. And they fly through fuel with it too.
How often is a 6 seater needed, hopefully 20% of the time haha or it's such a waste in fuel cost to be driving all that dead weight around.

I am thinking the higher voltage in PHEVs make them less prone to electrical gremlins, which is the bane for many car owners.
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
564 upvotes
M1C

Toyota is making a bold statement with the all-new Sienna Minivan. This 4th generation model is only sold as a hybrid but every grade of Sienna is now offered with optional AWD. Toyota recently introduced the latest Highlander hybrid and this new Sienna uses a lot of the same mechanical elements to make this latest van not only more efficient but more dynamic to look at . Just like the Highlander, this Sienna uses a 1.5L 4-cylinder Atkinson cycle engine and combined with the electric hybrid system, produces 243 combined horsepower using more of the electric motors low end torque for acceleration. The combined City and HWY fuel economy is estimated at 7.1L/100km or 33MPG. The all-wheel drive option, uses a separate electric motor at the rear of the van for on-demand AWD, meaning it only activates if conditions are met, like slippery roads or under acceleration. The 2021 Sienna even can tow up to 3500lbs. By not have a mechanic connection to the front motor, saves weight.

Styling is much more SUV inspired, with a prominent front hood and grill, plus fender accent lines down the side, mimicking what people certainly like these days, SUVs. Thee is even an XSE trim with bolder front and rear bumpers, plus 20-inch wheels for the first time, something also found on SUVs. The inside still has room for 7 or 8 passengers but the front seats are now framed by a unique centre console or what Toyota halls a bridge console, once agin looking more SUV inspired. This includes cup holders, plugs and wireless charging. Below the bridge is more storage. The second row captains chairs provide limo-like seating and can even be equipped with autumns. The new platform is quieter than before and the 1200 watt optional premium audio system is paid to a 1080p rear screen. There is also a Driver Easy Speak system to broadcast the drivers voice through the stereo. The standard infotainment screen is a large 9-inches and yes ACP and AA are included! In Canada all grades come standard with heated front sets and heated steering wheel. There is an optional kick to open and close the side doors and rear hatch. There is standard 3-zone climate control or optional 4-zone, plus the seta scan be covered in cloth, softer faux leather or real leather on the top two trims. There is even a vacuum and refrigerator but only on the top model. Other available features include power moonroof and 10-inch HUD and digital rearview camera embedded into the rearview mirror. Standard safety includes TSS 2.0, that includes pre-collision system, full-speed dynamic radar cruise control, lane departure with lane trace assist, BLIS and cross traffic alert. and automatic high beams . This new 4th generation van is all-new from the wheels up and was designed in the US targeted for this market and made in North America. That’s a first look at the all-new 2021 Toyota Sienna hybrid.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3851 posts
1784 upvotes
Grimsby
Looks nice, I like the interior. Cool how every model is hybrid and AWD is an option. Sounds like the electric motor is in the rear for the AWD model?

Not sure about this front grill though:
F589B842-CB08-4E18-9A1B-3CC63AB8D8AD.jpeg
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
564 upvotes
M1C
joey003 wrote: Looks nice, I like the interior. Cool how every model is hybrid and AWD is an option. Sounds like the electric motor is in the rear for the AWD model?
Yes, "The all-wheel drive option, uses a separate electric motor at the rear of the van for on-demand AWD, meaning it only activates if conditions are met, like slippery roads or under acceleration"
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2597 posts
1215 upvotes
It's essentially a RAV4 Hybrid powertrain in a Sienna. 0-60 will probably be slower than the previous generation.
I like the fridge and HUD, but only available on the top end...
Disappointed at no plug in option.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17993 posts
17035 upvotes
Richmond Hill
joey003 wrote: Yup, agreed. My personal favourite is hatches and wagons. We had a Golf Wagon TDI for 5 years prior to the VW buyback at the time.

But now they look so much better driving in a dorky looking "SUV" instead :P
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17993 posts
17035 upvotes
Richmond Hill
joey003 wrote: Looks nice, I like the interior. Cool how every model is hybrid and AWD is an option. Sounds like the electric motor is in the rear for the AWD model?

Not sure about this front grill though:

F589B842-CB08-4E18-9A1B-3CC63AB8D8AD.jpeg
Man Toyota really does design some horrible looking vehicles.
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
Good looking van I must say, hope they put a higher torque motor in it.

"The 2021 Sienna driver might not even notice the new model’s most significant engineering advance: the hybrid powertrain. That’s the point. The Toyota Hybrid System II delivers 243 total horsepower and a manufacturer-estimated 33 combined MPG fuel economy, the latter setting a benchmark for the segment, all while operating seamlessly and transparently.

The Sienna driver will feel ultra-smooth acceleration and hear very little noise. What is noticeable is the kick in low-speed torque from two electric motors working in concert with the high-efficiency 2.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine."
Koodo/Public Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4432 posts
6960 upvotes
Canada
dantey wrote: It's essentially a RAV4 Hybrid powertrain in a Sienna. 0-60 will probably be slower than the previous generation.
I like the fridge and HUD, but only available on the top end...
Disappointed at no plug in option.
It's actually the highlander powertrain, it uses a more power electric motor system than the RAV4, but Toyota hasn't released the specs on that part of the system.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5287 posts
2895 upvotes
This is the vehicle that I could use... Unfortunately, it is still far from perfect.

They just re-packaged the Highlander, with front and rear styling from the Camry. Not too happy about the lack of imagination. But this is Toyota for you.

Horsepower - 2020 Highlander Hybrid shows 240 Net HP on Toyota Canada website VS. New Sienna Hybrid with 243 HP in the marketing material. I'm sure there are some minor differences in the powertrain.

Basically, new Sienna has more space, more seating space, but seems like a worse cabin than the Highlander.

Thinking about it, Is there really any reason (other than space) to buy a Sienna over a Highlander Hybrid?
Mar 21, 2013
4432 posts
6960 upvotes
Canada
One downside of this generation is the second row seats are not removable. Alex on Autos just mentioned it, because they decided to put side airbags in the seats.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)