2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid AWD with 35 mpg combined

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2024 7:26 pm
Feb 25, 2015
789 posts
327 upvotes
KW
BeaverLiquor wrote: Even if you add the GC + Pacifica = 4290

All other vans not including the MB is 3575, so it's still not double all of the other vans combined.
Nope. You are looking at the second quarter. I'm talking ytd.

My original post was 2.5 months ago....at the time the ytd sales stats available were as of April. The GC sold double of all others combined.

Anyways Face With Rolling Eyes how about the new Sienna
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
I agree with you (REALBAUCE). I meant unfounded only until mass adoption. There simply won't be enough charge stations I imagine to support 30 million eventual electric cars + the electrical infrastructure/ grid is just not there to support 30 million electric vehicles (of our ~38 mill population). I am assuming 20% of the population does not drive at all or will not ever drive/ drive an electric vehicle (perhaps a hybrid/ PHEV though). Interesting times for sure! I imagine eventual rules/ guidelines (and extra fees $$$) on how/when you will be allowed to charge your vehicle so it is not a complete shit show.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
3257 posts
4517 upvotes
Toronto
it doesn't really seem unfounded to me considering the number of people in Toronto, Montreal, etc. with no garage therefore no practical way to daily charge their vehicle
I have no garage, and I charge daily, if need be.
In the summer, its once a week.
mobgma wrote: I agree with you (REALBAUCE). I meant unfounded only until mass adoption. There simply won't be enough charge stations I imagine to support 30 million eventual electric cars + the electrical infrastructure/ grid is just not there to support 30 million electric vehicles (of our ~38 mill population). I am assuming 20% of the population does not drive at all or will not ever drive/ drive an electric vehicle (perhaps a hybrid/ PHEV though). Interesting times for sure! I imagine eventual rules/ guidelines (and extra fees $$$) on how/when you will be allowed to charge your vehicle so it is not a complete shit show.
Very common misconception.
1. Average daily commute in Canada is 46 km, or 230 km each week.
TM3, Bolt, Kona, Leaf+ etc. have range of at least 360 km on 1 charge.
It means you dont have to charge them every night, only once a week.
2. There's tons of almost free electricity at night, between 12 and 7 AM.
After all, you can't stop hydro dam or nuclear power plant, just because there's no demand for electricity?
3. TM3 is only first part of Musk's "secret plan".
People in California, who were lucky enough to get Power wall and Tesla solar roof in their house, are being able to charge 2 Tesla's, run whole house on the free electricity, and still have some extra electrons.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
xrvr wrote: I have no garage, and I charge daily, if need be.

After all, you can't stop hydro dam or nuclear power plant, just because there's no demand for electricity?
People in California, who were lucky enough to get Power wall and Tesla solar roof in their house, are being able to charge 2 Tesla's, run whole house on the free electricity, and still have some extra electrons.
Ya but for cottage run people doesn't work out so well, especially in the winter. If there was a PHEV out there capable of towing I would go that route cause my commute to work is like 15km.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
macrossr wrote: Sat in a high trim Alphard in HK few months ago, love it while interior feels very premium. Its shorter and narrower but taller than the current gen odyssey. I was amazed the amount of ppl and luggauge it was able to fit (its taller and was able to stack one more row high for luggage)
https://www.toyotafinancial.ph/buy-a-car/car/hiace

I would love to drive a Toyota hiace,

Question can we import this van and drive it here in Ontario?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
mobgma wrote: I agree with you (REALBAUCE). I meant unfounded only until mass adoption. There simply won't be enough charge stations I imagine to support 30 million eventual electric cars + the electrical infrastructure/ grid is just not there to support 30 million electric vehicles (of our ~38 mill population). I am assuming 20% of the population does not drive at all or will not ever drive/ drive an electric vehicle (perhaps a hybrid/ PHEV though). Interesting times for sure! I imagine eventual rules/ guidelines (and extra fees $$$) on how/when you will be allowed to charge your vehicle so it is not a complete shit show.
Just like gasoline cars, not everyone will be charging their cars at the same time. Do you think the infrastructure can handle 30M gasoline cars all filling the same time?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
xrvr wrote: I have no garage, and I charge daily, if need be.

I have high hopes for EV/PHEV vehicles! They will not be practical in all scenarios though.
Jul 19, 2017
89 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver, B.C.
Someone in another group posted a chart of the possible colour combinations for the upper trims. Looks like platinum will only have one interior colour choice
Images
  • 8AB61ACC-D8D6-4396-9EDC-F2785BE6CA85.jpeg
Oct 13, 2009
294 posts
74 upvotes
North York
When will this be available for a test drive...it was announced like 4 months ago, and still no price yet
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Didn't see this thread before but now that it's bumped back up:
-Interior seems...meh
-Is 33MPG really that impressive these days? I get it's a van but man I thought we'd be into hybrid vehicles with 40-50MPG these days, easy. Guess not.
-Aren't minivans out of style now? I mean hey why buy that minivan you really need when you can instead buy a hiked up compact car and pretend like it's an "SUV"? Or so the buying public seems to think!
geokilla wrote: Reminds me a bit of the Toyota Alphard. Shame Toyota isn't bringing it over still.
Nah the only thing it's a shame Toyota isn't bringing is the GR Yaris. Perhaps the best car Toyota has produced in decades, and we won't get it. Instead we keep on truckin' with regular ol' Toyblowta stuff :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1024 posts
1063 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Didn't see this thread before but now that it's bumped back up:
-Interior seems...meh
-Is 33MPG really that impressive these days? I get it's a van but man I thought we'd be into hybrid vehicles with 40-50MPG these days, easy. Guess not.
-Aren't minivans out of style now? I mean hey why buy that minivan you really need when you can instead buy a hiked up compact car and pretend like it's an "SUV"? Or so the buying public seems to think!

Nah the only thing it's a shame Toyota isn't bringing is the GR Yaris. Perhaps the best car Toyota has produced in decades, and we won't get it. Instead we keep on truckin' with regular ol' Toyblowta stuff :rolleyes:
The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid was actually the first big leap for minivans however like you said the problem is minivans are out of style. Another problem is the brand, which a lot of minivan buyers cannot get behind.
There will always be a market for minivans and my guess is it will level off and not completed go away.

As for 33MPG not being impressive, to me that is actually one amazing milestone. MPG numbers for minivan haven't improved much since the original 1984 dodge caravan. That is almost 40 years without any gains in city MPG numbers.
We have been in the 17, 18, 19, 20 MPG city for 40 years; Pacifica Hybrid and Sienna Hybrid are game changers.

The style and looks are a matter of individual's opinion.
Mar 18, 2010
60 posts
25 upvotes
thelastword wrote: The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid was actually the first big leap for minivans however like you said the problem is minivans are out of style. Another problem is the brand, which a lot of minivan buyers cannot get behind.
There will always be a market for minivans and my guess is it will level off and not completed go away.

As for 33MPG not being impressive, to me that is actually one amazing milestone. MPG numbers for minivan haven't improved much since the original 1984 dodge caravan. That is almost 40 years without any gains in city MPG numbers.
We have been in the 17, 18, 19, 20 MPG city for 40 years; Pacifica Hybrid and Sienna Hybrid are game changers.

The style and looks are a matter of individual's opinion.
I'm not a van guy and I can't stand them. That impression changed with this new iteration for Sienna. They nailed this. While I may not buy it, it's absolutely not because I can't stand it. Kudos to Toyota.
Jul 19, 2017
89 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver, B.C.
Toyota Launches All-New 2021 Sienna to Suit a Variety of Lifestyles

I learned from another group that Toyota Canada sent a memo to dealers that the Platinum trim will not be offered in Canada due to supply issues. I just noticed that the Canadian press release has been updated by removing all mention of the Platinum trim along with its relevant features. This is very disappointing news Disappointed Face
Feb 24, 2016
382 posts
494 upvotes
I bought a 2020, will give it a few years and maybe trade it in for the new redesign.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
otmshank wrote: Toyota Launches All-New 2021 Sienna to Suit a Variety of Lifestyles

I learned from another group that Toyota Canada sent a memo to dealers that the Platinum trim will not be offered in Canada due to supply issues. I just noticed that the Canadian press release has been updated by removing all mention of the Platinum trim along with its relevant features. This is very disappointing news Disappointed Face
I'm not convinced that it's a supply issue (as much as they'd like to, they don't sell that many Siennas and I suspect they could make more if they wanted to. Delays because of initial demand I can understand but there's no reason they wouldn't be able to catch up). I suspect it's more of a demand issue. In past years, Toyota has often only offered in Canada a subset of the trims available in the US (e.g. for several years, the Limited trim was only available on the AWD in Canada but you could get Limited FWD or AWD in the US. When we bought ours many years ago, I don't think Canada got the power folding 3rd row or front parking sensors (only had rears) and the HIDs weren't "height adjustable" like in the US).
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
the new sienna looks nice. i like the new dashboard. that along with the lack of sliding second row seats was the main reason why I went with the Odyssey. Wish the Sienna came out with the new model earlier.

are the captain seats slidable - left and right as well as back and forth (i.e. similar to Honda's magic slide seats)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
otaknap wrote: the new sienna looks nice. i like the new dashboard. that along with the lack of sliding second row seats was the main reason why I went with the Odyssey. Wish the Sienna came out with the new model earlier.

are the captain seats slidable - left and right as well as back and forth (i.e. similar to Honda's magic slide seats)?
I believe they go back and forth (and quite a bit more than the Odyssey which I believe only goes back / forth a few inches) but I don't believe they slide side to side. In the past, Toyotas had multiple mounting points so you could change the lateral position by removing / re-installing the seat but I believe it was mentioned the middle row is not removeable anymore so that option is likely gone. Personally, I don't think being able to adjust side-to-side is a big issue (on our previous Sienna, we might have moved them a couple of times in 12 years and on our current Odyssey, we set it when we got it 6 months ago and haven't changed it since).
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
michelb wrote: I believe they go back and forth (and quite a bit more than the Odyssey which I believe only goes back / forth a few inches) but I don't believe they slide side to side. In the past, Toyotas had multiple mounting points so you could change the lateral position by removing / re-installing the seat but I believe it was mentioned the middle row is not removeable anymore so that option is likely gone. Personally, I don't think being able to adjust side-to-side is a big issue (on our previous Sienna, we might have moved them a couple of times in 12 years and on our current Odyssey, we set it when we got it 6 months ago and haven't changed it since).
Unfortunately, making the middle row not removable will be a deal killer for a lot of people - myself included. A lot people buy a minivan to have the option to move things and without those seats being removable, you have much less space. I have to imagine alot of people will complain about this and hopefully Toyota fix it in the update model.

Being able to move the middle row captain seats side to side was a huge reason why I went with the Odyssey. I have four kids (5, 3, 1, & 1) and at one point, they were all 4 and under. They all needed buckling and without the magic sliding seats, buckling the kids at the third row would have been a huge pain. In addition, any adults accessing to sit in the third row had easier access once we slid the seats. We slide the seats from side to side all the time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)