Ford 150 LIGHTNING - All electric Truck - Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 10:41 pm
2020 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
2267 posts
2729 upvotes
Is it real or is it like the hummer Ev and they are collecting pre orders without a real prototype yet?
>Wake up and take the orange pill ...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
superscoots wrote: Is it real or is it like the hummer Ev and they are collecting pre orders without a real prototype yet?
It's real. They've had test mules driving around for a while already.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
The price/range/power are going to the things that will be the real news and whether they set any benchmarks there
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
Starting at $99,999.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
engineered wrote: It's real. They've had test mules driving around for a while already.
The hummer also had those. But because the display body wasn’t on one at the reveal people claimed fake...

Never mind the Cybertruck was a stainless steel shell bolted onto a frame during the reveal.
The price/range/power are going to the things that will be the real news and whether they set any benchmarks there
It’s likely to be “underwhelming” IMO. It’s going to be an electric F150, no shock styling or extreme performance (other than maybe 0-60), and most likely no 3/4 ton payload as again, it’s likely to be a half ton truck.

Hopefully it’s available at a decent price, with competitive capability (payload and towing) to other half ton trucks.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how this will compare to the Rivian R1T?

Isn't Ford using Rivian skateboard in their design?

The Rivian will surely have a lot better finishes than the Ford. I can't see the Lightening being more expensive than the R1T.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1918 posts
2941 upvotes
Repooc wrote: I wonder how this will compare to the Rivian R1T?

The Rivian will surely have a lot better finishes than the Ford. I can't see the Lightening being more expensive than the R1T.
I think Ford and Rivian cancelled their plans for using Rivian's skateboard on one of their trucks. The F-150 Lightning is probably an F-150 frame with electrics bolted on.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Repooc wrote: I wonder how this will compare to the Rivian R1T?

No that's a much more expensive and revolutionary design. Ford's just adding electric bits to their f150.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1801 posts
2840 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Going to be funny seeing large gasoline Ford/Chevy/RAM/GMC trucks blocking charging ports used by their fellow Ford electric F150 owners down the road lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
I love ICE and I welcome the electrification of vehicles. I just wish there was a phase where hybrids vehicles existed for 10-15 years. I love the combination of internal combustion engines paired with a generator and Electric motors. Electric drive train is far superior than mechanical.

I am looking forward to getting the Ford Raptor R (V8 Raptor). Been waiting for this since 2015. Also Can't wait for another generation where we might see a hybrid raptor before its fully electric.

I love the sound of V8s and looking forward to better sounding electric vehicles. I believe Audi uses a speaker to put out "electric" sound on their fully electric cars.

But I think a loud mechanically generated sound would be better for fully electric vehicles. Maybe something like using straight cut gears in the power train. They are loud!

Imagine hearing this when your hybrid V8 vehicle took off.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1918 posts
2941 upvotes
xpoint9 wrote: But I think a loud mechanically generated sound would be better for fully electric vehicles. Maybe something like using straight cut gears in the power train. They are loud!

You might see that on some enthusiast type EV's, but for your general mainstream EV's, the car manufacturers will likely try to make them as quiet as possible. People that like loud cars are the minority by far, most consider them an annoyance.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
TheTall wrote: You might see that on some enthusiast type EV's, but for your general mainstream EV's, the car manufacturers will likely try to make them as quiet as possible. People that like loud cars are the minority by far, most consider them an annoyance.
o yea for sure, something as loud as that Toyota will certainly be in a specialty/enthusiast category. But I think EVs require some level of sound generated for safety purposes. I'm not certain if this was a law or something the manufacturers were considering as EVs were advancing. I'll look into it later.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
@xpoint9 agreed about the hybrid option, at least for trucks. Ford have missed a trick not having a longer range PHEV option between their hybrid and their BEV.

I think for most truck owners the first generation of BEV trucks will be too expensive, for too short a range. Having a PHEV with say 150km of battery range, charged by a REx in the 1-2l range would be ideal. That option doesn’t necessarily make sense for cars, but with current battery prices, going from 200kWh to 30/50kWh of battery and a small ICE may.

Ford have been working on a removable REx option for their trucks (at least they have patents) so maybe that’s what will happen for those of us that need long range regularly. It’s not going to be cheap though, that and 200kWh of battery.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
xpoint9 wrote: I love ICE and I welcome the electrification of vehicles. I just wish there was a phase where hybrids vehicles existed for 10-15 years. I love the combination of internal combustion engines paired with a generator and Electric motors. Electric drive train is far superior than mechanical.

I am looking forward to getting the Ford Raptor R (V8 Raptor). Been waiting for this since 2015. Also Can't wait for another generation where we might see a hybrid raptor before its fully electric.

I love the sound of V8s and looking forward to better sounding electric vehicles. I believe Audi uses a speaker to put out "electric" sound on their fully electric cars.

But I think a loud mechanically generated sound would be better for fully electric vehicles. Maybe something like using straight cut gears in the power train. They are loud!

Yea, that sounds awesome. Hopefully biofuels will allow ICE vehicles to exist in the future. Even hydrogen combustion would be awesome, but we need a abundant, cheap source of electricity to get clean hydrogen. Cheap fusion energy (or even thorium reactors) would do the trick if the gov't would put as much money into their research as they do into fossil fuels.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: Going to be funny seeing large gasoline Ford/Chevy/RAM/GMC trucks blocking charging ports used by their fellow Ford electric F150 owners down the road lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
An EV truck that's actually made it to production? Amazing. Looking forward to seeing the specs on this one.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
I guess if they can use the mustang name on a crossover why not the lightning name on a electric pick up.

The Ford SVT Lightning was a nice under appreciated truck
Jul 29, 2019
909 posts
788 upvotes
At a press briefing where US President Biden was there to test out the new Ford 150 Lightening, an uncamoflouge version was set up as a backdrop. This seems to have been done in error ahead of tomorrow's reveal. The renders front is exactly like the actually thing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)