• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2022 10:43 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes

2022 Kona N Line AWD Ultimate

Been doing some research for a potential purchase at some point in 2022, and looking at some compact SUV's did some reading on this last night. I have to admit this thing look pretty crazy, seems to get good advanced reviews. Maybe a bit on the pricey side for the N Ultimate, but it comes with everything.

Has anybody preordered these? Done any research? Any typical Hyundai issues to be weiry of if we further investigate?
Last edited by redsfan on Jan 2nd, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31635 posts
12938 upvotes
I thought this wasn't available with AWD?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I thought this wasn't available with AWD?
Other tims are not, but the N Line, indeed is. You can get a nicely equiped N line for a descent price and pay the premium for the Ultimate. Pretty much comes inline with the pricing of it's competitors depending upon similar trim levels. This makes this car very attractive in my mind. Base $28K for the AWD N Line and add a bunch for the Ultimate
Nov 20, 2014
255 posts
120 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: I thought this wasn't available with AWD?
OP is talking about N line not N.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12152 posts
3366 upvotes
4drsprt wrote: OP is talking about N line not N.
So it’s sorta like Audi with their S line and not real S. Or Mercedes line AMG package but not a real AMG?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I heard the Hyundai Kona is lit
looks pretty impressive, and don't believe they use the engines from the Tuscon/Santa Fe, etc. Looking at a daily commute, and maybe not ideal with 3 kids but they are older now so no need to worry so much about space as long as it can hold a couple of hockey bags, it may work. Driving a 2008 Wrangler now, and moving out of that phase of my life wanting a bit more Sporty and fun. Wife bought the 2021 CX-5 Kuro and it's great as well, but with 320,000 on the Jeep I don't think I have much longer with it...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31635 posts
12938 upvotes
4drsprt wrote: OP is talking about N line not N.
Ah I see.... I got confused as Hyundai calls the Sonata with 290hp an "N-Line". Makes sense though, that's a different engine and a larger car and it would also make way for an even higher-powered Sonata variant if they chose to.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Ah I see.... I got confused as Hyundai calls the Sonata with 290hp an "N-Line". Makes sense though, that's a different engine and a larger car and it would also make way for an even higher-powered Sonata variant if they chose to.
They also offer the Preferred Package in AWD and Moonroof upgrades.. tease you with the Ultimate which has it all for idiots like me having a mid life crisis lol
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31635 posts
12938 upvotes
redsfan wrote: They also offer the Preferred Package in AWD and Moonroof upgrades.. tease you with the Ultimate which has it all for idiots like me having a mid life crisis lol
Bro you need a Porsche for that, not a Kona! :P
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Bro you need a Porsche for that, not a Kona! :P
LOL I do, expecially when I have an in at Pfaff Auto group, lol....only issue is the pocket book
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12152 posts
3366 upvotes
Any 2 doors with not much backseat is a mid life crisis car. Not a Kona.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
To be real, if I had the cash I'd buy my Shelby....ain't happening either, lol
Nov 20, 2014
255 posts
120 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
spike1128 wrote: So it’s sorta like Audi with their S line and not real S. Or Mercedes line AMG package but not a real AMG?
Sorta. The N-line does add a bit of power and not just an appearance package but N is the most performance oriented.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1538 posts
761 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
If you wanted longevity, I would personally not take any vehicles with Dual Clutch; yes they are fun to drive and shifting is preppy, precise, but if you ever owned any vehicle with dual clutch long enough, you'd get the massive headache later....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
xuanzh wrote: If you wanted longevity, I would personally not take any vehicles with Dual Clutch; yes they are fun to drive and shifting is preppy, precise, but if you ever owned any vehicle with dual clutch long enough, you'd get the massive headache later....
That is what I am reading regarding these. CVT's have the same issue, and the good ole tested and true Mazda 2.5's have none yet people complain that Mazda hasn't changed in years. Looks like most cards will move to DCT and CVT, so the struggle to decide is real as we were also looking at a Toyota Croos CVT. 2 days of reading past class action and wondering if Hyundai has fixed these issues with updated software, etc. They got nailed a few years ago and looks like it's the same transmission being used, so wondering about improvements as many suggest is happening.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4816 posts
3191 upvotes
Ontario
redsfan wrote: That is what I am reading regarding these. CVT's have the same issue, and the good ole tested and true Mazda 2.5's have none yet people complain that Mazda hasn't changed in years. Looks like most cards will move to DCT and CVT, so the struggle to decide is real as we were also looking at a Toyota Croos CVT. 2 days of reading past class action and wondering if Hyundai has fixed these issues with updated software, etc. They got nailed a few years ago and looks like it's the same transmission being used, so wondering about improvements as many suggest is happening.
Not all CVTs are created equal!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
Bevatron wrote: Not all CVTs are created equal!
Nor are DCT's...it's a handful trying to understand user error, or manufacturer error with these
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31635 posts
12938 upvotes
xuanzh wrote: If you wanted longevity, I would personally not take any vehicles with Dual Clutch; yes they are fun to drive and shifting is preppy, precise, but if you ever owned any vehicle with dual clutch long enough, you'd get the massive headache later....
I'm going to have to disagree there. Not sure why you would say this. What headache is there to encounter? The tech is mature now and a DCT is mostly just a manual transmission, so it's quite simple and nowhere near as complex as an autotragic. The most complicated parts in DCTs are the electro-mechanical/electro-hydraulic control units. The rest is just real gears like a manual. There's not a zillion clutches, bands, valves, no torque converter, etc. Sure the control unit is somewhat akin to a automatic's valve body but it really still isn't anywhere near as complex.

There's some shit ton more to go wrong in an automatic than there is in a DCT. Most DCTs also have better output handling ability, than the alternative stock manual/clutch where applicable. For example the clutch-pedal gearbox option in the latest Golf R can't even handle the stock output of the engine--they had to detune it for the old-skool transmission version. Meanwhile the DCT is good not only for more stock output, it will very likely take to Stage1/2 tunes just fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2672 posts
746 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm going to have to disagree there. Not sure why you would say this. What headache is there to encounter? The tech is mature now and a DCT is mostly just a manual transmission, so it's quite simple and nowhere near as complex as an autotragic. The most complicated parts in DCTs are the electro-mechanical/electro-hydraulic control units. The rest is just real gears like a manual. There's not a zillion clutches, bands, valves, no torque converter, etc. Sure the control unit is somewhat akin to a automatic's valve body but it really still isn't anywhere near as complex.

There's some shit ton more to go wrong in an automatic than there is in a DCT. Most DCTs also have better output handling ability, than the alternative stock manual/clutch where applicable. For example the clutch-pedal gearbox option in the latest Golf R can't even handle the stock output of the engine--they had to detune it for the old-skool transmission version. Meanwhile the DCT is good not only for more stock output, it will very likely take to Stage1/2 tunes just fine.
If you read articles regarding DCT's you will find mainly good, and of course some bad. From what I gather they require a learning curve unless the driver has driven manual, and most of the complaints seem to be during the "learning" process of your driving habits where drivers were not aware of this process. There is the wet vs dry clutch argument and when the N arrives for the Kona it will be wet. Definitely the class action 5 years ago or so has weighed on my mind, and seems Hyundai at least has improved the tech as it has matured, as other companies using similar DCT's have....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)