• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2023 11:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1594 posts
717 upvotes

2022 success stories, highlights & milestones

As this year comes to an end, which has been a very challenging year for many, I'm curious to hear about people's milestones and success stories. I didn't see anything posted in personal finance or investments subforums, so I figured I'd start here. So:

• What was your success story or milestone(s) this year? What were you proud of achieving?
  • What do you look forward to accomplishing next year?

Happy new year everyone!

PS: Maybe I should have made this in the "off-topic" subforum, but feel free to post any personal accomplishments as well as I didn't see any similar thread elsewhere.
Last edited by Clueless Fox on Dec 31st, 2022 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPA. Investor. Realtor @ Royal LePage Ignite Realty
30 replies
Sep 23, 2011
473 posts
756 upvotes
Vaughan
Success: Was shopping for a detached early this year and didn’t pull the trigger.
2023: Hope affordability improves (ideally by prices coming down, not rates).
Nov 10, 2017
888 posts
643 upvotes
Success: Was shopping for an additional property - condo in DT Toronto in Q1, Did fired several rounds but defeated by greedy sellers and aggressive competitors (best of luck to them)

2023: Status quo and continue to stand on the sidelines.
Aug 22, 2016
577 posts
369 upvotes
Success: Was shopping for a detached pre-con and went through latest trend in Ottawa of pre-con lotteries. Zillion of those. Lucky that I failed in all. With resale home prices falling, I was able to grab a nice low priced detached resale home recently.

2023: Renovations or any good deals with the extra cash saved.
Dec 7, 2015
80 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto,ON
Success: Didn't buy at the peak.
2023: Buy at the bottom.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
3712 posts
1638 upvotes
Success: added another condo in RE portfolio
2023: looking to buy a property and finally start building a custom home on it.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2020
1059 posts
1529 upvotes
I dont mean to be so negative but you know its been a bad when the only success story is not having bought.
Jul 23, 2021
87 posts
113 upvotes
looks like everyone is buying in 2023 so prices will go up
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1521 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
Newuserid wrote: I dont mean to be so negative but you know its been a bad when the only success story is not having bought.
Yea. So if I look at the other long running threads in this forum, and the hate some users have towards others that did buy at (or close to) peak, what this shows is it could have been almost all of us. Some just ‘got lucky’ and were outbid; it’s not that anyone was truly smarter.

Of course there’s exceptions.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19389 posts
17857 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Success: Was considering adding another property.

2023: Prepare for pain. See how I can benefit.
Jul 6, 2019
94 posts
79 upvotes
2022 success : escaped by skin of teeth from buying a house at the peak now worth 30% less (all thanks to my realtor who advised against putting an aggressive offer.. surprise, surprise!!)
2023 : look for more investment opportunities, upsize PR
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2287 posts
4302 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
2022 success - Locked in decent gains from using all my dry powder in Apr-May 2020, far from the peak of Nov 2021 but trying to be happy with the gains.

2023: Wait out the recession
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2501 posts
1603 upvotes
Calgary
I have met some amazing people in life this year (from this forum, from my dealing at work, at my property manager work and within friends) that have taught me success isn't measured by how much money or homes you have; instead with are you truly happy and content with what you have/given. I have truly tried to change my outlook at life, be more humble and distance away from materialism.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2836 posts
3390 upvotes
Success-Put cash towards mortgage (bit over 3% fixed) instead of QQQ and Ford (though Dollarama was third on the buy list dammit)

Fail - continued to dither over refinancing said mortgage. This is a nice long term fail for me going back to the Martin's Mortgage Maneuver thread of early 2021.

Success/Fail - not jumping on the converging prices end of 2021/start of 2022, between 905 and a house south of the 401. We're happy in 905 so not a complete fail, and we'd have had a bigger mortgage at who knows what rate if we'd traded up...but def always desired being back in city and that opportunity at the upgrade costs a year ago has likely passed forever.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1594 posts
717 upvotes
Appreciate the responses, all.

No property purchases or sales personally this year for me.

Failures: Equity market was not too kind this year lol

Successes/Milestones: Progressed further career wise and made some great new friends along the way, which is a feat for me because I'm very introverted. Biggest accomplishment/feat was that there was no buyers' remorse with anyone I worked with. Hopefully this continues next year as well.

2023: No personal property purchases planned but would like to get further ahead of the variable rate hits on current holdings Angry Face ...continue realtor work with more success, and bring one of my projects to fruition by year-end. Keep me accountable RFD!
CPA. Investor. Realtor @ Royal LePage Ignite Realty
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
1391 posts
1432 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What was your success story or milestone(s) this year? What were you proud of achieving?

My milestone this year was the realization that I needed to go on sick leave after pushing myself too hard during the pandemic. I'm proud to say that I will be going back to work next month with a new mindset. No job is worth getting sick for or dying for!

What do you look forward to accomplishing next year?

1) I've been waiting on the sidelines for a long time so I'm really hoping that 2023 will be the year where I buy that property! Once that happens, I will look at going casual at my job so I can be a less miserable person. Maybe I will change careers or go back to school....who knows! :D
2) Learn how to invest in stocks.
3) Be in bed no later than 1am. <-- this one is harder than buying a house, seriously.

I wish everyone a happy and healthy 2023! May everyone's goals and accomplishments be achieved, whether it's saving $$ or buying a place. ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2962 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto ontario
June 2021 : Sold the farm when everyone was moving to the country, it appreciated way more than expected because of all the city folks flocking to the country. 670k farm became 2.19m
moved near port credit into a house for 2.3m that is since now worth 3+ (this appreciated here well).

my advice, do the opposite of what the heard does.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2021
2163 posts
2753 upvotes
Rural Kanata
ashs wrote: June 2021 : Sold the farm when everyone was moving to the country, it appreciated way more than expected because of all the city folks flocking to the country. 670k farm became 2.19m
moved near port credit into a house for 2.3m that is since now worth 3+ (this appreciated here well).

How many acres was farm?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2021
1276 posts
2097 upvotes
ashs wrote: June 2021 : Sold the farm when everyone was moving to the country, it appreciated way more than expected because of all the city folks flocking to the country. 670k farm became 2.19m

Wow, good for you! Good sense for buying the right properties at the right times!

My success story: closed on our forever home this month.

Everyone in my family shitting on us for buying now (and in retrospect, we did overpay) but we can afford the luxury so why not. We’re happy and our nursery is set up SeatCherry Blossom
Jun 15, 2015
968 posts
1177 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
2022 success; None

2023: No expectation.