Wheels and Tires

205/55/16 Looking For Best $100 Winter Tire.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 6:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 6, 2018
17 posts
24 upvotes

205/55/16 Looking For Best $100 Winter Tire.

Hi,

I'm looking for winter tires for my new to me 2010 Mazda3 Sport GS. I need to buy rims as well and unfortunately money is a little tight at the moment. I usually by mid level tires such as Toyo Observe GSI 5 or General Arctic Altimax and I'm usually willing to spend up to $150 per tire but that is because I usually already have winter rims. Since I need to buy rims this time around my tire budget has been reduced. I want to get the best possible winter tire for $100 in a 205/55/16 size. What I have found so far is the following.

Maxtrek Trek M7 for $77.88 PMC recommends these tires as one of there better budget tires but they seem to be the only site that does most, say this tire is garbage.
Momo North Pole W2 for $89.99 from Quatrro. 5/5 rating from Quatrro. Very little info and any info I found was from Europe and was not very favorable. Apparently made in Europe and not china.
Kumho I'Zen KW31 $100.97 from Quatrro which is $45 cheaper than PMC at the moment. They also have a $40 mail in rebate essentially making the tires $90.97.Again very little to no info on this tire unless you understand Russian. Lots of wright ups and videos for this tire from Russia.
I can get from and auto parts store in Ottawa called CAPS Hifly Winturi on rims new for $450 bucks plus tax. But that is a crazy low price and don't mind spending more to get better conversely The Kumho I'Zen KW31 with rims comes to $614 plus tax which I assume is much better tire for $164 more. So kind of leaning towards this tire but was wondering if there are better options out there in the $100 or less price range for tires that I'm missing.
My driving style is 107km one way to work or 214km a day on 400 series highway and we go to our cottage on the weekends with is mostly snow covered back roads.

Thanks for any and all advise.

Steve
10 replies
Sep 20, 2010
29 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I am using Momos right now (255/35R19s - great tire, quiet and seems to wear well, step up from Nexen ) and I have used Sailuns before and I am rocking 4 seasons Kumhos this year on another car - in your case, if you're putting alot of mileage on treacherous roads, aggressive tire like Federal or General might be better then the Kumho, but all comes at price of wear.

Grip vs Wear and overall construction, for this reason I would stay away from budget tires like Maxtrek - I also find that depending on the size, tire performance can be much different, then that described in the reviews.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3866 posts
3984 upvotes
GTA
The General's are pretty good. We've had them on our Nissan Altima 2.5S for 3 winters now, going on the 4th. No complaints.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4629 upvotes
Montreal
You can also go for these from WalMart for $80.97/each.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/weathermax ... 0194101757

Sometimes they put them on sale for Black Friday and/or Boxing Day. I have the same ones, used to be made by Nexen called Winguard 231. It's a good old school tire with thick blocks and deep grooves, excellent in deep snow, not that great on ice. Mine get removed every March 15th and still have most of their tread still left, about to start their 7th season. Couple of other things, they're a bit noisier than the more expensive winter tires and the old school tread has more resistance so you will see a decrease of 2-5% on your fuel mileage.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13280 posts
7413 upvotes
Toronto
you drive a lot daily and i assume you drive with family to the cottage?

Meaning i would buy the best tires you can afford.

Of the ones you listed, get the Kumho.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1025 posts
988 upvotes
Abbotsford
Kumho would be your best best. Good reputation in other countries.
They are cheaper as they dont have massive advertising campaigns in Canada.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4094 posts
1321 upvotes
Oshawa
Steve1971 wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for winter tires for my new to me 2010 Mazda3 Sport GS. I need to buy rims as well and unfortunately money is a little tight at the moment. I usually by mid level tires such as Toyo Observe GSI 5 or General Arctic Altimax and I'm usually willing to spend up to $150 per tire but that is because I usually already have winter rims. Since I need to buy rims this time around my tire budget has been reduced. I want to get the best possible winter tire for $100 in a 205/55/16 size. What I have found so far is the following.

Maxtrek Trek M7 for $77.88 PMC recommends these tires as one of there better budget tires but they seem to be the only site that does most, say this tire is garbage.
Momo North Pole W2 for $89.99 from Quatrro. 5/5 rating from Quatrro. Very little info and any info I found was from Europe and was not very favorable. Apparently made in Europe and not china.
Kumho I'Zen KW31 $100.97 from Quatrro which is $45 cheaper than PMC at the moment. They also have a $40 mail in rebate essentially making the tires $90.97.Again very little to no info on this tire unless you understand Russian. Lots of wright ups and videos for this tire from Russia.
I can get from and auto parts store in Ottawa called CAPS Hifly Winturi on rims new for $450 bucks plus tax. But that is a crazy low price and don't mind spending more to get better conversely The Kumho I'Zen KW31 with rims comes to $614 plus tax which I assume is much better tire for $164 more. So kind of leaning towards this tire but was wondering if there are better options out there in the $100 or less price range for tires that I'm missing.
My driving style is 107km one way to work or 214km a day on 400 series highway and we go to our cottage on the weekends with is mostly snow covered back roads.

Thanks for any and all advise.

Steve
You want to be cheap?? Give these guys a call.

Screenshot_20181020-200817.jpg
*** EDIT: My bad. Just realized your in Ottawa ... too bad. These guys are located in Richmond Hill.
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2018
17 posts
24 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your input decided to give the Kumho's a try. Ordered from Quattro tire.

Cheers
Mar 17, 2009
22 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
Steve1971 wrote: Thanks everyone for your input decided to give the Kumho's a try. Ordered from Quattro tire.

Cheers
How are the tires? Are they good?
[OP]
Oct 6, 2018
17 posts
24 upvotes
vietnamesetan wrote: How are the tires? Are they good?
Hi vietnamesetan,

I generally don't like to give reviews until after the winter has gone by, we also had our first measurable snow fall today and I gave my car to my wife because her winter's are being put on this coming Wednesday. She said they seemed fine in the snow today which was about 6cm of the wet heavy kind.
I find them quite on the dry pavement and I seem to get close to the same mileage I'm loosing about 20km on average. I suspect for a budget tire they will do better than a Chinese one but again I have no real basis for that statement all I can say is so far so good.
Sorry I wish I could be of more help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)