• Sep 13th, 2021 4:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1941 posts
583 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

20y old wire, how to make every light functional

In trailer, 20 year old electrical wire, one turn light doesn't go on, markers are all on.

How to clean and make sure contact surface is all right? I heard vinegar, wd40, or some googled pro-cleaning liquid, are they all works?

If I have line another wire for that blinker - that's the last option though - do I need to wire the ground together or just one single wire for the blinker. Can I do that outside under the trailer frame, maybe covered by a wire-tube, but just don't really want to fish wire inside.

The last question for the 7 way plug, any cap I can use to cover it up?
<No Anti-Liberal political content in signatures>
4 replies
Dec 15, 2015
693 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
deoxit D5 is the best surface cleaner. Sayal sells it.

20 years old, I would re-wire the entire trailer sooner than later. A kit is cheap and its easy to do.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2260 posts
750 upvotes
Central Ontario
Rewire it. It's neither difficult nor expensive.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2025 posts
311 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

What kind of trailer? If it's using a 7 wire harness, is it a commercial trailer? The wiring harness should be in the trailer frame & most of it would be easy to access. There would also be a 7 wire junction box on the frame near the rear of the trailer, You might only have to replace the wiring from the junction box to the tail lights.

RV trailer wiring configuration - https://www.ajtnt.com/Info/7-Way-Diagram

Commercial trailer wiring configuration - https://www.etrailer.com/question-37567.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1941 posts
583 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
thx for post, it is 7 wire camper trailer, wire is not easy to get to coz there are 4 marker at front and 4 on the back.
So a lot of wire to be rewired if want to replace them all, so I just want to do one turning light.
<No Anti-Liberal political content in signatures>