Expired Hot Deals

Future Shop

21.5 inch, iMac--$1299, regular $1399, 2 remaining!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2015 11:53 am
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
12 posts
12 upvotes
York, ON

[Future Shop] 21.5 inch, iMac--$1299, regular $1399, 2 remaining!!

I've been hunting for a mid-range iMac, and since these hardly ever go on sale, $100 off is the best I've seen (esp. considering our crappy dollar).

So I bought one--the site says there's only 2 remaining, but just migrate to parent Best Buy; they usually sync their prices.

Specs:
Apple iMac 21.5" 4th Gen Intel Core i5 2.7GHz Computer (ME086LL/A) - English
Model Number: ME086LL/A
WebID: 10218580
26 replies
Nov 23, 2009
893 posts
493 upvotes
Vaughan
Excellent price even cheaper then the education price
SSD
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
12 posts
12 upvotes
York, ON
arberb wrote: Excellent price even cheaper then the education price
Oh yes, the education pricing is really nothing to write home about.

Feel free to 'thank' me for this post...I feel like I need some good PR as RFD doesn't usually like what I post lol..
Apr 13, 2017
171 posts
184 upvotes
Winnipeg
corygates wrote: Oh yes, the education pricing is really nothing to write home about.

Feel free to 'thank' me for this post...I feel like I need some good PR as RFD doesn't usually like what I post lol..
Neither is 100$ off
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
core i5 cpu - 8gb ram - 1tb hdd - 1920x1080 21.5" lcd ... $1299 is a bit steep imo (I know its a good price for this machine, but..)

just build a hackintosh tower.... and if you want it for looks, build it into the wall so you just have a panel showing... get yourself a high res screen or larger 27", and of better quality at that.

obv not for everyone, but that seems much better value to me
Dec 13, 2012
829 posts
584 upvotes
TORONTO
only problem with this config is that if you're used to SSDs on a previous desk/laptop, this iMac will feel slow booting up and opening certain apps with its SATA hard drive
[OP]
Dec 24, 2014
12 posts
12 upvotes
York, ON
RobertL059 wrote: Neither is 100$ off
Um, perhaps you're unaware that Macs are notorious for being expensive, and not doing blowout deals. Why? Because they last for years, unlike PCs. So yes, $100 off is the best you're gonna get.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1098 posts
973 upvotes
MARKHAM
the resolution isnt that great, and i'm guessing this is just the regular dual core i5?

much better off getting a 2012 mac mini i7 quad core for $639 and using the extra money to boost the ram and get a ssd and a 27" 2560x1440p monitor.
Apr 13, 2017
171 posts
184 upvotes
Winnipeg
corygates wrote: Um, perhaps you're unaware that Macs are notorious for being expensive, and not doing blowout deals. Why? Because they last for years, unlike PCs. So yes, $100 off is the best you're gonna get.
iMacs have poor cooling performance and throttle CPU. They also aren't built better, maybe look at warranty rates for them
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1772 posts
1965 upvotes
corygates wrote: Um, perhaps you're unaware that Macs are notorious for being expensive, and not doing blowout deals. Why? Because they last for years, unlike PCs. So yes, $100 off is the best you're gonna get.
Maybe this is why most people on rfd don't like your posts... because you post lies.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
nicolascon wrote: Maybe this is why most people on rfd don't like your posts... because you post lies.
lolol, for real.

there is no possible way any imac can "last longer" then a pc.

you can upgrade / fix any desktop component from a pc build, imac? not so much...

not to mention new OS's have seemed to cripple the old mac software (Yosemite did a number to old MBPros) ... meanwhile I just threw W8.1 on my amd Athlon x2 3200 cpu pc with a 60gb hdd and 2gb ram and it runs fine.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1335 posts
756 upvotes
Ajax
Financials wrote: lolol, for real.

there is no possible way any imac can "last longer" then a pc.

you can upgrade / fix any desktop component from a pc build, imac? not so much...

not to mention new OS's have seemed to cripple the old mac software (Yosemite did a number to old MBPros) ... meanwhile I just threw W8.1 on my amd Athlon x2 3200 cpu pc with a 60gb hdd and 2gb ram and it runs fine.
+1
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1515 posts
871 upvotes
The best moment to buy a new Apple product is with Staples 10% off customer appreciation day. It happens 2-3 times a year.
Refurbished are a really good way to save money for something with quality as good as new.

As for this iMac, I'll go with a Macbook pro retina instead which has the same spec but with a 128GB PCie SSD (700 mb/s read) + it is portable as well. 1080p 21.5 inch monitor cost peanut and it can be connected with HMDI without the need for any adapter. But there's no mouse nor keyboard...
I use mine on a 30 inch 1600p monitor with a mini-display to dvi cable that cost $10.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2341 posts
603 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
No respect for people that have to ask for thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
Gin Martini wrote: The best moment to buy a new Apple product is with Staples 10% off customer appreciation day. It happens 2-3 times a year.
Refurbished are a really good way to save money for something with quality as good as new.

As for this iMac, I'll go with a Macbook pro retina instead which has the same spec but with a 128GB PCie SSD (700 mb/s read) + it is portable as well. 1080p 21.5 inch monitor cost peanut and it can be connected with HMDI without the need for any adapter. But there's no mouse nor keyboard...
I use mine on a 30 inch 1600p monitor with a mini-display to dvi cable that cost $10.
yeah, if you need a mac go mbp w/ monitor like this suggestion ... the 5k imacs (while overpriced) make sense... these? nah.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10558 posts
2045 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote: The best moment to buy a new Apple product is with Staples 10% off customer appreciation day. It happens 2-3 times a year.

iMac and Macbook Pro is completely different product. What if some people like a bigger screen for video viewing?

that's like saying Instead of buying a iPhone, why don't you buy a iPad?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15276 posts
2489 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Jimboski wrote: Who?
Referring to OP I assume.
corygates wrote: Oh yes, the education pricing is really nothing to write home about.