Automotive

'21 Honda Ridgeline - how much wiggle room?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2021 4:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4025 posts
1498 upvotes
Toronto

'21 Honda Ridgeline - how much wiggle room?

(if you're coming into this thread to mention anything along the lines of the Ridgeline not being a "real truck", please leave)

I'm looking into a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition, but unsure of how much wiggle room (if any) there may be from MSRP, specifically from GTA region Honda dealers.

I saw a YT video from Boston Automotive Consulting that stated there is a 6.5% gap between dealer invoice and MSRP..... Mind you this is in the states, so I don't think getting close to invoice in our smaller Canadian market on a brand new vehicle will be as easy. But at the same time I'm not interested in paying MSRP either.

However, I don't think many people are buying Ridgelines in comparison to other very popular midsize trucks like the Tacoma, Ranger, Frontier, Colorado, etc; so there may be some incentive to move a Ridgeline off the lot especially towards months end or perhaps end of the fiscal year (I dunno)

Any insight you have, or current Ridgeline owners; are certainly welcomed!

Thanks.
30 replies
Aug 5, 2010
400 posts
144 upvotes
Test drove one earlier this year - nice, but was not for me. Dealer here said they had already sold out their allotment for the year, and would be a couple months minimum wait to get in line for one to come in. They were not going to budge on price whatsoever.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7157 upvotes
Kitchener
Truck pricing these days (all brands) is typically MSRP. Good luck in your negotiations.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I looked at my 5 closest dealerships. A total of one new Ridgeline among all of them, none of them a black edition. Good luck getting the price down - there's no inventory on lots.

Have you checked into the upcoming Hyundai Santa Cruz
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4025 posts
1498 upvotes
Toronto
stendzme wrote: Test drove one earlier this year - nice, but was not for me. Dealer here said they had already sold out their allotment for the year, and would be a couple months minimum wait to get in line for one to come in. They were not going to budge on price whatsoever.
Interesting. Thanks for the honest feedback!

Now, was it MSRP they wouldn't budge on or were they trying to charge above MSRP and wouldn't budge on the inflated number?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7157 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: Have you checked into the upcoming Hyundai Santa Cruz
Now THAT looks like a neat "truck".
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Now THAT looks like a neat "truck".
They purchase the rights from Subaru? Because that's what I see.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4025 posts
1498 upvotes
Toronto
KevinM56081 wrote: I looked at my 5 closest dealerships. A total of one new Ridgeline among all of them, none of them a black edition. Good luck getting the price down - there's no inventory on lots.

Have you checked into the upcoming Hyundai Santa Cruz
That's crazy! I figured the black edition wouldn't be found on the lot and may need to be ordered from the factory.

We currently have a 2011 Hyundai Tucson from new with about 205,000 kms, and while ownership has been relatively trouble-free the past 11 years it's a bit small for our needs now with 2 kids and cottaging. I've checked out a few videos on YT for the Santa Cruz, and both my wife and I agree, it's a bit too small for our needs... I believe it's built on the Tucson platform as well.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10438 posts
4544 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Now THAT looks like a neat "truck".
Not much "truck" about either of them.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Repooc wrote: That's crazy! I figured the black edition wouldn't be found on the lot and may need to be ordered from the factory.

We currently have a 2011 Hyundai Tucson from new with about 205,000 kms, and while ownership has been relatively trouble-free the past 11 years it's a bit small for our needs now with 2 kids and cottaging. I've checked out a few videos on YT for the Santa Cruz, and both my wife and I agree, it's a bit too small for our needs... I believe it's built on the Tucson platform as well.
That's what I read re: platform.

Re: dealers... That's stretching from cobourg to pickering across Lake Ontario, and included Trent Valley and Kawartha Lakes Honda as well (6 dealers actually - still only one unit).

A previous boss had a 1st gen Ridgeline. He liked it well enough. I ended up driving it occasionally (when my work vehicle was being serviced etc). It didn't suit me very well when it happened, but there's a big difference between that platform, and a body on frame 3/4 ton.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10438 posts
4544 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: That's what I read re: platform.

Re: dealers... That's stretching from cobourg to pickering across Lake Ontario, and included Trent Valley and Kawartha Lakes Honda as well (6 dealers actually - still only one unit).

A previous boss had a 1st gen Ridgeline. He liked it well enough. I ended up driving it occasionally (when my work vehicle was being serviced etc). It didn't suit me very well when it happened, but there's a big difference between that platform, and a body on frame 3/4 ton.
Geez, I just checked Cobourg Honda. The owner is a great guy. ZERO Ridgeline in stock. So either someone really likes them, or no one does.

37 civics, and 27 crv though.
Aug 5, 2010
400 posts
144 upvotes
Repooc wrote: Interesting. Thanks for the honest feedback!

Now, was it MSRP they wouldn't budge on or were they trying to charge above MSRP and wouldn't budge on the inflated number?
MSRP they wouldn't budge on. They were not inflating, fortunately
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7189 posts
7846 upvotes
Toronto
@Repooc, any updates?

I may get rid of my Civic sedan and upsize to the Ridgeline

The Pragmatic Pickup
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4025 posts
1498 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: @Repooc, any updates?

I may get rid of my Civic sedan and upsize to the Ridgeline

The Pragmatic Pickup
There's simply no black editions on lots anywhere in the GTA. It would have to be a new factory order. And with the worldwide automotive microchip shortage... You know how that goes.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1060 posts
1330 upvotes
Calgary
A coworker of mine was quoted MSRP with a free set of mats. 3-6 month wait
Nov 18, 2017
88 posts
32 upvotes
Check out the thread on the new Ford Maverick. Small pickup that might tick the boxes you want.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4025 posts
1498 upvotes
Toronto
MareCognitum wrote: Check out the thread on the new Ford Maverick. Small pickup that might tick the boxes you want.
Yeah, not really though...

I LOVE the fact that it's hybrid for fuel efficiency, but the rear passenger room is dismal compared to the Ridgeline.

The best thing going for the Ridgeline as a mid-size truck is the interior passenger/cargo volume is best in class. Plus the extra storage trunk in the bed is a game changer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6816 posts
3800 upvotes
Mississauga
redblack wrote: A coworker of mine was quoted MSRP with a free set of mats. 3-6 month wait
What a deal! :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1120 posts
650 upvotes
East of Toronto
Might have to look a little further. Kingston seems to have two black in stock and Smiths Falls has one.