Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes

$2200+ for a cat dental cleaning?

My cat Mocha is 11 years old.
We are in Ontario, Canada.
We have been with this vet since he was born. Since the old doc passed away in 2014 the clinic has been under new management and fees have gone crazy.
Every year we visited they've been saying Mocha has dental problems, and need cleaning. I have not noticed any chewing or eating problem. I monitor him eating food everyday. He licks wet food and swallow dry kibbles without much chewing since he was a kitten. He normally chews a little on larger kibbles or treats, and shows no sign of pain or discomfort.
We sent him for one in 2015 and the bill was $1200+ with 1 tooth extracted. I have not noticed any difference before and after the cleaning in terms of Mocha's eating/playing behavior.
Last year they said again Mocha needed a Dental cleaning/surgery and quoted us for $2200+.

So my question is:
1. How do pet owners know if their pets need dental cleaning?
2. Does the $2200+ quote make sense?
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 2.23.15 PM.png
18 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19987 posts
5367 upvotes
Good Morning
Is the gumline red? I don't know if cleanings are worth it, but I think its preventative to reduce gum disease in the future. I brush my cats teeth about twice a week (should be more) and my vet has commented that there still is plague build up, but far from the worse she's seen.

As for cats, you don't see problems until its too late and rarely show pain and discomfort.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1893 posts
298 upvotes
Canada
thats the high end price you'r quoting

its worth doing since cat dont show pain

your cat will thank you for it

and a cleaning will prolong its life
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3385 posts
635 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote: thats the high end price you'r quoting

its worth doing since cat dont show pain

your cat will thank you for it

and a cleaning will prolong its life
Agreed.
Nov 18, 2004
442 posts
9 upvotes
1. Tartar buildup on teeth and inflammed gums.
Dental work in pets is to prevent future more serious medical problems.
If your pet is prone to dental disease, has the vet recommended a dental diet?
My cat started eating a dental diet at age 3. By age 8, the vet recommended a dental cleaning. After diagnosing him with heart murmur, they said he cannot have a dental cleaning and just kept him on the dental diet. He ate the dental diet up until age 16. He is 20 years old now and still have all his teeth :)

2. $2200+ quote is steep! I would ask for a second opinion. Where in the city are you located?
Cat Fanatic :cheesygri
Apr 9, 2004
356 posts
90 upvotes
London
My mother in law's cat just had 5 teeth extracted and it was just under $900 (in London). Ended up being a few hundred under the original quote. Might be worth the drive if it saves you $1000+.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
The vet is in North York - we live in Vaughan.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
oddduck wrote: My mother in law's cat just had 5 teeth extracted and it was just under $900 (in London). Ended up being a few hundred under the original quote. Might be worth the drive if it saves you $1000+.
Is it possible to get the vet’s name and contact? TYSM!!
Sep 30, 2020
83 posts
128 upvotes
My cat had his mouth cleaned and 9 teeth removed this summer for around $2500 in Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2017
60 posts
30 upvotes
I used to have to get dental done for my dogs every 2 years because I didn’t regularly brush their teeth. Basic cleaning used to range between $700 to $900 per dog but went up to about $1400 to $1800 in their senior years when a lot of extractions were needed, including the canine teeth.

You quote seems expensive since mine included dental X-rays and my vet specialized in dentistry. Would recommend getting some other quotes.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1242 posts
1829 upvotes
Canada, eh?
I got quoted $3k for a dental cleaning back in 2018 on a 6 year old cat. I would say 2k is definitely on the higher end.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4428 posts
3485 upvotes
oddduck wrote: My mother in law's cat just had 5 teeth extracted and it was just under $900 (in London). Ended up being a few hundred under the original quote. Might be worth the drive if it saves you $1000+.
did it include a cleaning or just extraction (and the anesthesia, bloodwork etc?) 900 seems way too cheap even for an out of town vet for dental cleaning and extraction?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4428 posts
3485 upvotes
secretalcoholic wrote: I got quoted $3k for a dental cleaning back in 2018 on a 6 year old cat. I would say 2k is definitely on the higher end.
if you got quoted $3k 2 years ago, why is $2k now on higher end?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3321 posts
1153 upvotes
Woodbridge
xoxojoy wrote: The vet is in North York - we live in Vaughan.
These might help:

Quote from Woodbridge Animal Hospital (Highway 7 and Martin Grove)
If extractions were to be necessary, the doctor would discuss such with you, including cost. Below I have indicated the prices for the dental (without extractions), exam, and bloodwork.
Dental: $446.92 (with tax)
Bloodwork: $136.85 (with tax)
Exam: $75.00 (without tax)

Quote from Market Lane Animal Hospital (Woodbridge Avenue - 7 and Islington)
Dental Prophylaxis Feline pkg. $280
IV Catheter & Fluids $60
Wellness 2 2-6 yrs healthy pet Blood Win $165
Carnasal tooth extraction by sectioning $99/tooth (for the molars)
Dental extraction per adult tooth $50/tooth (for other teeth)

Plus tax.

The prices listed here seem comparable - https://eastsideanimalhospital.ca/our-prices/
[OP]
Apr 29, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: These might help:

Quote from Woodbridge Animal Hospital (Highway 7 and Martin Grove)
If extractions were to be necessary, the doctor would discuss such with you, including cost. Below I have indicated the prices for the dental (without extractions), exam, and bloodwork.
Dental: $446.92 (with tax)
Bloodwork: $136.85 (with tax)
Exam: $75.00 (without tax)

Quote from Market Lane Animal Hospital (Woodbridge Avenue - 7 and Islington)
Dental Prophylaxis Feline pkg. $280
IV Catheter & Fluids $60
Wellness 2 2-6 yrs healthy pet Blood Win $165
Carnasal tooth extraction by sectioning $99/tooth (for the molars)
Dental extraction per adult tooth $50/tooth (for other teeth)

Plus tax.

The prices listed here seem comparable - https://eastsideanimalhospital.ca/our-prices/
TYSM!! these quote even just at a glance seemed quite reasonable compared to what I got.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3121 posts
851 upvotes
Mars
i have done 3 or 4 times teeth cleaning and extraction for all my cats in last couple of years at 3 different vets (also in GTA), the most recent one was done less than 3 years ago when that cat was around 8 years old, all cost me less than $1000. to say this price is on higher end is a euphemism.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5530 posts
2620 upvotes
Vancouver
My senior cat had most of his teeth extracted after we adopted him 2 years ago, I think it was about $1500