Savings:
$65 off
Expiry:
June 16, 2019
Retailer:
23andme
23andme ancestry and genetic test on sale for $184, regular $250

https://www.23andme.com/en-ca/dna-health-ancestry/

After getting the dna test you can import it into other services like https://promethease.com/ to get way more info about your genes and possible health problems.

For some reason rfds link changer service changes this link to go to the USA site. Just visit 23andme.com to go to Canadian one.
42 replies
[OP]
Jan 3, 2007
231 posts
86 upvotes
Is there another cheaper service? As I want to get this done and import into promethease
Aug 27, 2016
43 posts
95 upvotes
I feel like I should get paid $185 to give someone my DNA. This is like the worst trade deal of all trade deals.
Oct 7, 2018
19 posts
16 upvotes
Got it for $124 during Boxing Day, also same deal during Black Friday
[OP]
Jan 3, 2007
231 posts
86 upvotes
So the problem is in how each company interprets your dna.

This is why I wanted to import it into promethease and just look at raw health data since that will be way more accurate than ancestry data.

And for privacy I'm using a Visa gift card with a fake name and shipping the kit to a friends house under a different name.
Feb 11, 2017
153 posts
101 upvotes
Aside from all the possible privacy problems, these tests are just not very good yet. You can do some reading or maybe listen to this podcast which is a nice summary of most of the key points:

Science Vs Episode
Apr 2, 2019
4 posts
6 upvotes
If you looked at the promethease sit it says it doesn't matter what 23 and me version you get, the raw data is the same and the report is the same to you. So get the cheaper one.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2045 posts
401 upvotes
You salty thread shitters. IT'S A DEAL. YOU ONLY DOWNVOTE THINGS THAT AREN'T DEALS! Face With Tears Of Joy
Leverage wrote:
May 25th, 2019 11:32 pm
They're all a bit of a crock at this point. CBC Marketplace put together a comprehensive review that explains it well:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dna- ... -1.4980976
A crock and yet all the results look similar to me. If you want to know where you're from, which is what this is for, what other site do you suggest? It's one thing to say something is imperfect and do something better, but what's the point of saying something is imperfect so just do nothing instead? What could go wrong, someone finds out there from Italy but they're actually from Greece and they kill themselves?
Last edited by Loomy on May 26th, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1042 posts
1918 upvotes
Markham
Loomy wrote:
May 26th, 2019 2:16 am
You salty thread shitters. IT'S A DEAL. YOU ONLY DOWNVOTE THINGS THAT AREN'T DEALS! Face With Tears Of Joy
I mean... I don't downvote stuff often, but paying so 23andme can get your DNA and sell them isn't really a deal...
Oct 17, 2009
765 posts
1368 upvotes
I'm willing to do it just to see if someone in my family tree is a serial killer *crosses fingers*
It would explain a lot.
Dec 10, 2012
115 posts
114 upvotes
Show a cheaper source then. This is all relative. That’s like showing a deal on a gun and you downvoting because you don’t like guns even though it’s a deal.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2007
231 posts
86 upvotes
Dave510 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 2:38 am
I mean... I don't downvote stuff often, but paying so 23andme can get your DNA and sell them isn't really a deal...
That's why you use fake info and ship not to your house. Then the dna they have is of a random non existent person.

I think even that small risk is way worth it. This stuff can show if you're predisposed to Alzheimer's for example. Cancers, disorders, if you have any bad carrier genes that you will pass on to offspring etc.

Which is good to know so you can start screening and testing for for this stuff earlier in life. Also good to get done for kids so you know what they're in for.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1042 posts
1918 upvotes
Markham
Behacad wrote:
May 26th, 2019 7:45 am
Show a cheaper source then. This is all relative. That’s like showing a deal on a gun and you downvoting because you don’t like guns even though it’s a deal.
That’s a bad analogy. If you look at how downvotes work, you’d realize there are legitimate reasons for downvoting other than price. I’d say paying so your genetic information gets sold off is one of those reasons, regardless of price.