Expired Hot Deals

[23andme] 23andme ancestry + genetic test on sale $189

  • Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 9:05 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1632 posts
3277 upvotes
Markham
mik3 wrote: That's why you use fake info and ship not to your house. Then the dna they have is of a random non existent person.

I think even that small risk is way worth it. This stuff can show if you're predisposed to Alzheimer's for example. Cancers, disorders, if you have any bad carrier genes that you will pass on to offspring etc.

Which is good to know so you can start screening and testing for for this stuff earlier in life. Also good to get done for kids so you know what they're in for.
https://www.wired.com/story/you-can-get ... hould-you/

That’s precisely why people shouldn’t do it... there’s no reason to believe that the current DNA sequencing by these companies have any actual predictive value, and it’ll lead to people getting additional, often unnecessary screening, driving up health care costs for everyone.

Sorry, not here to threadcrap, just wanted to give a reason instead of just mashing the downvote, which helps no one. Everyone’s capable of making their own decisions. Good luck man!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2013
1857 posts
1189 upvotes
Ottawa
Would you gain better privacy if you set your address as European when you submit the test data?
Member
User avatar
Apr 2, 2015
318 posts
424 upvotes
Siberia
Is this the company that gave identical twins completely different dna results?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 7, 2011
739 posts
631 upvotes
ottawa
My brother did the 23 and me. Results he got were 99% what I already knew even without some DNA test. Glad I didn't waste my money.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15412 posts
16609 upvotes
If these results were that good in 2019, trust that your doctors... even in Canada... would be doing genetic screenings regularly on folks just to predicatively anticipate problems.

We're not there yet.

Fake name, alternate address, Visa pre-paid card. Don't be tarnished by the scarlet letter when 23andme sells your data to insurers who upcharge you based on incomplete information. This is especially true if you're American.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Jone19 wrote: Is this the company that gave identical twins completely different dna results?
The generally accepted idea of race in the west was invented by people who wanted to prove people that looked like them are the best. It wasn’t objective science, they started from their answer and worked backwards.
Sr. Member
Apr 14, 2017
655 posts
582 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: https://www.wired.com/story/you-can-get ... hould-you/

That’s precisely why people shouldn’t do it... there’s no reason to believe that the current DNA sequencing by these companies have any actual predictive value, and it’ll lead to people getting additional, often unnecessary screening, driving up health care costs for everyone.

Sorry, not here to threadcrap, just wanted to give a reason instead of just mashing the downvote, which helps no one. Everyone’s capable of making their own decisions. Good luck man!
23andme doesn't even do actual sequencing, they only check for frequent mutations.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3973 posts
694 upvotes
Windsor
I had a genetic test on OHIP to identify a specific condition, the same condition also appeared on my Ancestry DNA after running it through promethease.

Also, my Mother's DNA showed she's a carrier of Juvenile Parkinson's, which was passed to me also.

Interpreting the results from promethease is tricky but quite interesting.
Penalty Box
Jul 28, 2010
678 posts
54 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: If these results were that good in 2019, trust that your doctors... even in Canada... would be doing genetic screenings regularly on folks just to predicatively anticipate problems.

We're not there yet.

Fake name, alternate address, Visa pre-paid card. Don't be tarnished by the scarlet letter when 23andme sells your data to insurers who upcharge you based on incomplete information. This is especially true if you're American.
Believing doctors have your best interests at heart (and not theirs), classic naivety!
They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm
Member
Aug 29, 2010
361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
laptopuser wrote: Believing doctors have your best interests at heart (and not theirs), classic naivety!
You should probably get a better doctor then.
Member
Nov 20, 2017
428 posts
625 upvotes
laptopuser wrote: Believing doctors have your best interests at heart (and not theirs), classic naivety!
What do you think their priorities are? And where are you getting that information from?
Newbie
Apr 2, 2017
38 posts
39 upvotes
This thread is a dumpster fire and should be culled.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3850 posts
1380 upvotes
Montreal
Sad that there are so many people who need this to figure out who they are.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2007
1002 posts
123 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
23andme has one of the worst customer service I have ever experienced, and their blase attitude about privacy scared the shit out of me. I bought a kit for my husband and I two christmases ago and when my contacted them about his results they said they would only reply to the email address they had of the account that ordered the kit. So, in other words, if someone gifts you a kit, they would only answer questions about your personal results to the person who bought you the kit. Utter bullshit.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 29, 2007
3516 posts
2832 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Apparently we are all related anyway. Save your money.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/10 - 1x Koodo 35/7 - 1x Fido Data 0/3 🢀

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)