Expired Hot Deals

[23andme] 23andme ancestry + genetic test on sale $189

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 9:05 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1187 posts
546 upvotes
Behacad wrote: Show a cheaper source then. This is all relative. That’s like showing a deal on a gun and you downvoting because you don’t like guns even though it’s a deal.
Actually it's like buying a gun on sale and figuring out you just joined the NRA unknowingly and you're a public list on the internet with all the guns you own and anyone can look it up.

Kinda like ebates actuallyLoudly Crying Face
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1632 posts
3276 upvotes
Markham
klown wrote: Actually it's like buying a gun on sale and figuring out you just joined the NRA unknowingly and you're a public list on the internet with all the guns you own and anyone can look it up.

Kinda like ebates actuallyLoudly Crying Face
Ebates pays you at least, instead of asking for $189.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3513 posts
2832 upvotes
No Bum Deals
klown wrote: Kinda like ebates actuallyLoudly Crying Face
Everywhere tracks and logs now.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/10 - 1x Koodo 39/10 - 1x Fido Data 0/3 🢀
Dec 30, 2012
42 posts
9 upvotes
BC
Shaynelle wrote: 23andme has one of the worst customer service I have ever experienced, and their blase attitude about privacy scared the shit out of me. I bought a kit for my husband and I two christmases ago and when my contacted them about his results they said they would only reply to the email address they had of the account that ordered the kit. So, in other words, if someone gifts you a kit, they would only answer questions about your personal results to the person who bought you the kit. Utter bullshit.
The kit is registered to an account. If you buy a kit for someone they have to create an account and register it. It's not the purchaser email when you buy a kit?
Aug 26, 2018
377 posts
743 upvotes
There's no point bashing services like this. This is how capitalism works. A company provides a service. If you want the service, you pay them for it. If you don't like it, you can walk. This is a niche market for sure.

The only people I see having genuine need for genealogy testing are people who have questions about their background. If you care enough to know that is. Not everyone cares.

For example, people who are mixed race in origin may want testing done. People who are orphans and never met their parents may want to know. Etc. Otherwise, even people born in this country may want to know their background. For example, are you really 1/4 Irish like your grandmom used to tell you? How the hell does anyone really know anyway? You parents could have lied or they were lied to. Your grandparents could have lied or been lied to. You really don't know anything about your heritage at all other than what is obvious like your race and what your parents may have told you (which may not be true). Services like this provides an independent second opinion.

The service also provides information about what you are genetically predisposed to by way of disease, which can be helpful.

As far as privacy, there is a strong case against it. But I find it funny how people use burner emails and CCs and think it makes them anonymous. First of all, who are you hiding your DNA information from? The government? Do you think if there was a secret intelligence program in place to match people with their genealogy DNA test data, that your fake email and all that paper trail you leave will fool them? lol. They were able to hunt down OBL in Pakistan and sent in stealth helicopters to get him. Do you think your disposable email and CC will fool them? That's like thinking using VPN and paying in Bitcoin gives you anonymity - it only works for the unsophisticated but doesn't work for those with access to state resources.

Plus, what if they already have a secret government program to collect your DNA and build an intelligence database that matches people to their DNA? Maybe they already know your information. Would it surprise you to know the government already has a database that can recognize your voice already and that they've had this capability for decades at this point?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12957 upvotes
mik3 wrote: And for privacy I'm using a Visa gift card with a fake name and shipping the kit to a friends house under a different name.
This is only good if you're the only person that's even remotely related to you takes the test.
They'll figure out who you really are pretty quick as soon as someone with any DNA resemblance does theirs with real info.
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
I met the price as $129
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
mik3 wrote:
I think even that small risk is way worth it. This stuff can show if you're predisposed to Alzheimer's for example. Cancers, disorders, if you have any bad carrier genes that you will pass on to offspring etc.

Which is good to know so you can start screening and testing for for this stuff earlier in life. Also good to get done for kids so you know what they're in for.
In Canada? screening? They will treat you whey you became almost died
Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1116 posts
1439 upvotes
Canada, eh?
I'm curious to see anonymized results for Alabama state, pretty sure everyone is related to one another...Face Screaming In Fear

mmmmm incest.
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote:

As far as privacy, there is a strong case against it. But I find it funny how people use burner emails and CCs and think it makes them anonymous. First of all, who are you hiding your DNA information from? The government? Do you think if there was a secret intelligence program in place to match people with their genealogy DNA test data, that your fake email and all that paper trail you leave will fool them?
Lol.. You should google how to government is using the DNA base

You will be suprised.

Even facebook sold (sell?) our priviate information
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15412 posts
16609 upvotes
secretalcoholic wrote: I'm curious to see anonymized results for Alabama state, pretty sure everyone is related to one another...Face Screaming In Fear

mmmmm incest.
I'm never really sure why people think it's okay to malign an entire population just because they passed one disagreeable law. Would you laugh if this guy had said Oman or the Congo, instead of Alabama? It's either all okay, or none of it is.

Silly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)