Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
50%
Expiry:
October 14, 2020
Retailer:
23andMe
This goes on sale by default for every prime day but I did not see this posted so putting it out there for anyone who, like me has been wanting to do this DNA analysis. The product on sale is 23andMe Health + Ancestry Service: Personal Genetic DNA Test Including Health Predispositions, Carrier Status, Wellness, and Trait Reports.
There are a lot of caveats with tests (not 100% accurate, they have your data unless you ask to be removed, might tell you things you won't be comfortable knowing, most of their test data is for Caucasians) like these if you are considering taking it please do read about it online, I personally found this https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -brca.html useful.
I took it last year and think of this as a fun thing, an investment for the value it may provide in the future and to identify any obvious markers.
Share:
13 replies
Apr 22, 2019
49 posts
28 upvotes
Ye, let's pay them $124, so they can put our DNA on a database and then sell it to the highest bidder in the future.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2019
114 posts
160 upvotes
Sugi298 wrote: Ye, let's pay them $124, so they can put our DNA on a database and then sell it to the highest bidder in the future.
I know what you're saying, if it's any consolation, there's an option to download your results and raw data and then delete it from their database.
Nov 1, 2016
84 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Sugi298 wrote: Ye, let's pay them $124, so they can put our DNA on a database and then sell it to the highest bidder in the future.
Just a heads up, they already did. Although nothing evil yet....

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... 1578692191
Dec 21, 2012
401 posts
333 upvotes
Winnipeg
Sure why not. Then they sell the info to the insurance companies and you're denied life insurance because of your dna risks for certain diseases. Trust me, if enough money is involved anything can happen. I would never take one of these tests. For one thing they're not 100% accurate and for another they can be used against you.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2019
114 posts
160 upvotes
truckmania wrote: Sure why not. Then they sell the info to the insurance companies and you're denied life insurance because of your dna risks for certain diseases. Trust me, if enough money is involved anything can happen. I would never take one of these tests. For one thing they're not 100% accurate and for another they can be used against you.
You make some good points, but:

1) You don't have to give out any information about you, including your real name when you create a profile, I'm Bruce Lee
2) You don't have to opt-in to let them use your data for "research purposes"
3) You can ask them to drop your sample and your profile so that you or your DNA doesn't exist on the database
4) Even in the world of testing, nothing is 100% accurate, except maybe pee on a stick pregnancy test. And what 23andme does is unapologetically probabilistic.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4665 posts
2074 upvotes
These threads always get crapped on, so I'll share my experience (copy and paste).
I used this maybe a year ago because I'm half Asian (mom - Filipino) and half Caucasian (dad - unknown). I've never met my dad so I didn't know anything more than that, but I didn't see the harm in getting a ball park figure of where his side is from, I didn't need something exact. I did a bit of research on DNA tests and I've heard the stories about twins having somewhat different results, people sending in their dog's saliva getting comical results, and something about federal crime agencies shadily obtaining your DNA data from these places. Ya, ya, ya.

So there are two forms of this test, one is just ethnicity (cheapest) and the other includes health related information for basically double the price. The truth is the cheapest kit includes all the data you need for the health portion, they just paywall it. So what you can do is get the cheapie one then download your DNA data and plug it into other sites for the health data, often for free -> $4 (it's free periodically) - ( https://promethease.com/ ), it's not as pretty as the main sites, but it's the same idea.

Anyways, I got my results and it says 49% Filipino, 27% England, and the remainder scattered primarily across Nordic countries. Good enough for me and worth $79 just for that.
I took the DNA data and plugged it into other sites and it gave some health data that I can partly confirm through what I know about my mom's side of the family (cholesterol, etc). Also talked about issues with B12, how I may want to take supplements for that, D3 and all that. It also had some personality traits, although I'm a bit more skeptical on that, but never know.

After that I kind of forgot about it for a bit, but received a message a month later from someone on Ancestry who shared a high amount of DNA similarity with. We talked a bit and it turns out that she's my half sister and we were able to link parts of what we know about our "dad" (she hadn't met him either), but same name and similar enough story based on how our moms described him. I've found another suspected half-sister (guess my dad was a womanizer) and met some of their kids.

Quite an adventure for $79, but unless you're living pay cheque to pay cheque and eating canned beans, it's friggan $79. Keep your expectations low and unless you have concerns over the 3rd party portion, it's worth a shot even if it ends in disappointment.
⬇⬇⬇ FOR SALE: ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
iPhone 11, 64gb, Black, 93% Battery Health, w/ Spigen Clear Case - $750 Shipped + Insured, EMT Only
⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆
Oct 21, 2019
32 posts
51 upvotes
Been waiting for this, thanks OP!
Nov 11, 2019
6 posts
4 upvotes
when are you turning this into a movie!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5868 posts
1512 upvotes
No different than everyone here buying echo and google home on sale, which is also hilarious.
Dec 26, 2010
979 posts
695 upvotes
i did my test before amazon sold 23andme. it's fun information to look at. i was originally more interested in health traits, but seeing the accuracy improve (i'm korean but original results showed i was only about 2/3 korean) over time has been interesting. I also found a distant relative who lives in the States. I honestly don't care what they do with my DNA as long as it's not cloning. I don't think they would want to clone my DNA anyway..
Apr 9, 2007
117 posts
127 upvotes
truckmania wrote: Sure why not. Then they sell the info to the insurance companies and you're denied life insurance because of your dna risks for certain diseases. Trust me, if enough money is involved anything can happen. I would never take one of these tests. For one thing they're not 100% accurate and for another they can be used against you.
Unless current laws change in Canada, this is not the case. I work in the medical side of insurance and can tell you it is illegal to ask or even consider genetic information, for good or bad purposes, unless it is freely offered by the client. If any insurance company takes genetic information into account in any form without your express consent, you can sue their pants off. This includes if they get your doctor's reports and they've done genetic testing for any kind of diseases you might have. If you suspect any company has taken into account genetic testing for considering your coverage, go seek legal advice.
Aug 31, 2011
321 posts
85 upvotes
Not sure what all the controversy is about. Be careful for any surprises though if you do the test.. I've heard stories of people discovering their parents aren't their biological parents or secret half siblings.