Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

23andMe.com Genetic Testing $225 + Shipping (Discount of $74) (Lifetime Subscription)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2012 6:25 pm
Dec 15, 2009
98 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton

23andMe.com Genetic Testing $225 + Shipping (Discount of $74) (Lifetime Subscription)

Giltcity(Groupon-like site) is offering a flash deal on voucher codes for 23andme.com for $225. The most it has been so far is $60 off for the new version.
http://www.giltcity.com/national/23andme

A review of the service if you need help deciding: http://justanothergeeksite.com/2011/05/ ... y-23andme/

To purchase it you must follow some steps since giltcity doesn't let you use US billing address, I found a workaround:

1. Make account at Gilt.com

2. Add Payment info at gilt.com

3.Go back to http://www.giltcity.com/national/23andme and now you can select your Canadian billing address.

Enjoy!

Non-Refferal link: www.gilt.com
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
3091 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
100?! Is it 50$ per? Wow, pretty steep.
Dec 15, 2009
98 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton
DrXenon wrote: I paid like $100 to ship 2 kits, that fit in one medium envelope, to Canada. They must think Canada is basically the same distance as Zimbabwe.
The shipping company they use is expensive for Canada, same with the National Geographic DNA study.
Dec 15, 2009
98 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton
shopper_of_things wrote: Would insurers' HSA pay for this?
It varies from insurer to insurer, I would suggest calling them and asking.
Nov 26, 2007
798 posts
220 upvotes
Save your money - this is nothing more than a novelty. I can think of many better uses for $225.
Aug 18, 2011
445 posts
113 upvotes
Brossard
mavrik13 wrote: Save your money - this is nothing more than a novelty. I can think of many better uses for $225.
+1
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
xalex0 wrote: I'll wait till real sequencing becomes affordable.
Agreed. According to the current trends, you will be able to sequence your own genome for as little as a couple of hundred bucks in a year or two. Once you have THAT, comparing your own genome against newly found diseases or traits is trivial as they come out, and you don't have to get it re-done.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Feb 26, 2007
234 posts
182 upvotes
DrXenon wrote: Shipping was $92.95 for two kits. I actually looked up what it would cost me to FedEx both ways OVERNIGHT with our corporate account, and it came to $30, so this is quite the profit centre for 23andme. It's almost like they don't want the business.
You must have a great rate. Most of the time an overnight envelope to the US is $30, so $60 two ways. Their price is reasonable since they probably provide two return waybills in case you use them at different times.

I'll buy your wife's for $150 if you want :) both my wife and I have done this and our whole family wants it now. It's pretty amazing for the price and you can waste $225 on much stupider things IMO.
Dec 15, 2009
98 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton
DrXenon wrote: Shipping was $92.95 for two kits. I actually looked up what it would cost me to FedEx both ways OVERNIGHT with our corporate account, and it came to $30, so this is quite the profit centre for 23andme. It's almost like they don't want the business.
She shouldn't be afraid of the results because they are based off usually limited studies and should be taken with a grain of salt. By no means are they conclusive.
Sep 2, 2007
769 posts
285 upvotes
This whole thing reeks of scam, even the review seems bogus. I have read several stories about similar tests all of which were bogus

FYI Lifelabs does a paternity DNA test, albeit not the same thing. It is one heck of a lot more expensive but because of who they are is probably reliable

What is the cost of testing?
The price for a legal DNA paternity test (for up to 3 people) is $630. The home collection option is $480. The fee
for each additional person requiring testing is $210. Price includes sample collection, analysis, written reports and
courier costs. (Additional courier costs may be added if the sample is drawn from outside the LifeLabs network).
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
mavrik13 wrote: Save your money - this is nothing more than a novelty. I can think of many better uses for $225.
This is not a scam. Nor it is only a novelty. 23andme is partly owned by Google and offers truly useful information. I subscribed myself and my mother to the service last year and discovered very interesting and useful things about myself. For one, I have the gene that makes me a very slow caffeine metabolizer- which explains why I get anxiety and heart palpitations that last 15 hours after drinking 1/4 cup of coffee. I also tested positive for the gene that makes me 99% likely to develop hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Once I got the news I immediately had an ECG which showed that I hadn't developed the condition yet- but at least I know what preventative measures I can take to prevent/delay the onset.

Furthermore, 23andme updates your results every three weeks with any new discoveries and research that come to light. It is quite exciting to discover something new about my genome every few weeks!

For the sheer number of genes and sequences it tests for, you'd have to pay over $80,000 in Canada to get individual tests for the genes covered in 23andme.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)