Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
26%
Expiry:
April 26, 2020
Retailer:
23andme
23andme are offering discounts on their testing kits for DNA Day (apparently that's 25 April).

- Ancestory + Traits $104 ($129 regularly)
- Health + Ancestory $184 ($249 regularly)

I'm unsure how hot this is, never tracked them. Just stumbled upon it today and have been interested for a while.

Most other similar services are also offering special discounts today/this week, so choose what you like.
16 replies
Dec 28, 2011
978 posts
511 upvotes
Midland
Prepare for price drops these prices are always these sales.

No one will have money for these fun thingys
Aug 14, 2014
647 posts
510 upvotes
Do they still sell your info?
Dec 24, 2018
484 posts
459 upvotes
Canada
Who pays you to post this? It’s like every other month you see a post about 23 and your private info being shared with third party companies.
Jun 19, 2010
529 posts
366 upvotes
Vancouver
They fairly regularly have a sale on the health and ancestry kit for half off... This is not hot.
Apr 6, 2017
836 posts
1302 upvotes
The Latter Day Saints just want to send you to heaven after you have passed. Give them a break.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4476 posts
6088 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
LarryT778370 wrote: I would like to spend my money on COVID—9 testing kit..
We're at Covid19 now, buddy
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4813 posts
2540 upvotes
I grabbed the Ancestry variant for $69 a year ago ($79 atm - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TRLVKW0/ ).
If you're reasonably tech savvy you can buy the cheapest model of these kits as all the tests record all the same data, but paywalls the more advanced health results. So you can just opt to download the DNA data from the website and plug it into promethease ($0 -> $10) or alike and get the results that the sites would charge you significantly extra for, it's just not as pretty of a page.
Last edited by RiCHC3 on Nov 1st, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Apr 22, 2020
34 posts
6 upvotes
FlyingSausage wrote: Who pays you to post this? It’s like every other month you see a post about 23 and your private info being shared with third party companies.
Can you send me links to that plz
Dec 24, 2018
484 posts
459 upvotes
Canada
RiCHC3 wrote: I grabbed the Ancestry variant for $69 a year ago ($79 atm - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TRLVKW0/ ).
If you're reasonably tech savvy you can buy the cheapest model of these kits as all the tests record all the same data, but paywalls the more advanced health results. So you can just opt to download the DNA data from the website and plug it into promethease ($0 -> $10) or alike and get the results that the sites would charge you significantly extra for, it's just not as pretty of a page.

That said, I know these kits aren't popular on here and I respect that and the reasons why, but I know for me is was worth giving a shot. Initially, I used it because I'm half Filipino and half Caucasian, but I didn't know what the "Caucasian" was or much of anything about my birth father and his heritage. While I didn't take the results as gospel or am overly fussy about 3% this or that, it was nice to get a baseline. That's all I really wanted to know, but you really open up a rabbit hole with these things. I started getting messages from 4 different people who I suspect are half brothers/sisters or children of them. It's pretty wild actually. The health results, which I'd also take with a grain of salt, also suggested some things I may be at-risk for or suggested things like this hormone means I'm likely to be deficient in Vitamin B12 or D, etc.
Jewish and Indian here. I didn’t try ancestry, but I also keep getting phone calls from Nigeria and these people tell me they are my distant step-brothers, sister, cousins and they want money now...
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1548 posts
1288 upvotes
Ottawa
Nikhilvoid wrote: We're at Covid19 now, buddy
I would laugh but can't. Too many people think this is true instead of 19 meaning 2019 lol
Banned
Apr 22, 2020
34 posts
6 upvotes
LarryT778370 wrote: I would like to spend my money on COVID-19 testing kit..
Probably the same thing.

They swab in the covid-19 test which is also what the DNA tests require.

Some ppl say the covid-19 is also DNA documenting without consent... And recently the covid-19 tests were contaminated at the lab and even the first type of test kits weren't diagnosing correctly...

Same happened for the HIV/AIDS test kits in Africa that would test almost every African tested as positive for HIV/AIDS.

Later it came out that because of the funding hysteria in Africa to end AIDS people were being misdiagnosed with HIV, when they really needed funding to improve their sanitation... Face With Tears Of Joy

Also the DNA testing only compares your DNA to a very small group of 1 million or so ppl.

Current population is 7billion. How accurate that is I don't know lol but sure is precise...

And the results can vary based on how u want it done...

It's only 55% reliable as well...
People wanna spend money so other people can tell them some fantastical story about who they're ancestors are... Face With Tears Of Joy

Might be better to save your money and ask your local drunk or pothead instead.. They'll prob give u just as reliable an answer for maybe $1-$5. Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 7, 2013
989 posts
782 upvotes
Ottawa
Good5Stuff wrote: Probably the same thing.

They swab in the covid-19 test which is also what the DNA tests require.

Some ppl say the covid-19 is also DNA documenting without consent... And recently the covid-19 tests were contaminated at the lab and even the first type of test kits weren't diagnosing correctly...

Same happened for the HIV/AIDS test kits in Africa that would test almost every African tested as positive for HIV/AIDS.

Later it came out that because of the funding hysteria in Africa to end AIDS people were being misdiagnosed with HIV, when they really needed funding to improve their sanitation... Face With Tears Of Joy

Also the DNA testing only compares your DNA to a very small group of 1 million or so ppl.

Current population is 7billion. How accurate that is I don't know lol but sure is precise...

And the results can vary based on how u want it done...

It's only 55% reliable as well...
People wanna spend money so other people can tell them some fantastical story about who they're ancestors are... Face With Tears Of Joy

Might be better to save your money and ask your local drunk or pothead instead.. They'll prob give u just as reliable an answer for maybe $1-$5. Face With Tears Of Joy

All true.
Then they see what diseases and ailments your DNA is prone to and sell that information to those with products that cater to your deficiencies.
So scammy there should be regulations.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1704 posts
772 upvotes
Ontario
The fake Covid tests will be out soon enough...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1921 posts
618 upvotes
FlyingSausage wrote: Jewish and Indian here. I didn’t try ancestry, but I also keep getting phone calls from Nigeria and these people tell me they are my distant step-brothers, sister, cousins and they want money now...
And how true is that! We do all come from Africa! :)