• Oct 6th, 2019 4:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 3, 2012
491 posts
307 upvotes
YORK

Is 23andme worth it?

So 23andme is on sale again but the $20 shipping fee has made me hesitant to buy (looks like no taxes though). Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service $184+ $20 CAD.

While I'm deciding, have any of you tried the service and do you think it was worth the price (for the health results of the test especially).

Also are there any coupon codes I can add?
Last edited by Gooddeal2012 on Oct 3rd, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
7 replies
Nov 23, 2015
767 posts
449 upvotes
Winnipeg
The information 23 and Me provided is very interesting and arguably worth the money, but it isn't what I'd consider life changing.

I guess there is always the potential for family drama, I've read news articles about the effect of many people finding out their fathers aren't who they thought they were. e.g. someone's parents are Scottish but half their lineage and relatives are Italian, that kind of thing
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1388 posts
427 upvotes
Calgary
If it was 204 and free shipping, would you buy it then?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10889 posts
13267 upvotes
Vancouver
Gooddeal2012 wrote: So 23andme is on sale again but the $20 shipping fee has made me hesitant to buy (looks like no taxes though). Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service $184+ $20 CAD.

While I'm deciding, have any of you tried the service and do you think it was worth the price (for the health results of the test especially).

Also are there any coupon codes I can add?
I went for the Ancestry.com DNA test which has no health info and is half the price. I was interested in finding geographic origin and blood relations, not at all in the health results—what would I have done with the health information anyway?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13533 posts
2337 upvotes
City of Vancouver
CBC Marketplace did a report on these. My conclusion is that they r not worth it because the test results vary/are inconsistent.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4823 posts
2586 upvotes
I did Ancestry and grabbed the lowest tier. Even the lowest tier has the health results embedded in it so you just download the data (free) and you upload it to other DNA websites and they can notice some health trends. The better ones are paid ($15ish) for the results, but it was interesting.
The ancestry portion was really helpful to me in general even though I just cared about the health results initially. Learned I had some Scandinavian in me and even "found" a half sister through the site itself. It's pretty wild.

I wouldn't get if you're anal about it being bang on with your %'s though, expect a reasonable margin of error and don't follow it religiously, but if you're shooting in the dark like me then it was useful.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13533 posts
2337 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Becks wrote: CBC Marketplace did a report on these. My conclusion is that they r not worth it because the test results vary/are inconsistent.
The CBC reporter has an identical twin, and both took the tests:
https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes ... he-results
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.