[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1123 posts
301 upvotes
Montréal

24 days in germany (family trip)

Hi !

we (2 adults and 2 kids of 4 ans 8 years old) are going to germany in July. I need any advices about our itinerary (daytrip, each time in each place etc)

so here's our plan :

(arrival from Yul-Zurich-TXL flight)Berlin 5 nights

Dresden (daytrip to bastei bridge)3 nights

Nuremberg (+ daytrips to playmobil park, Rothenburg and Bamberg) 4 nights

Salzburg (daytrip to salt mine and Berchestgaden) 3 nights

Munich (+ daytrip to Garmisch) 4 nights

Train to Rhine+ Moselle with a 2-3 hours stop in Ulm (Cochem, Trier, Bacharach,) 4 nights

Luxembourg 1 night (flight back home which is from Lux airport)

We have a hard time figuring where to add or cut time . Thanks for your help!

Our flight is with Swiss anyone have anything to say about that airline ?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2004
2032 posts
178 upvotes
Live AT, Work FL, Ho…
Swiss is a great airline. Check if your ZRH-TXL leg is actually with Swiss or with Euro/Germanwings. It's a lot of codesharing now from Swiss for intra-European flights.

Your itin looks good. Salzburg you won't need 3 nights. You can do it in 2 days/2 nights

Is all this by train?
Jul 4, 2007
334 posts
61 upvotes
Offering some alternate day trips to consider:

Salzburg
- probably only need a day to see the main sights in the city, in a rush. IMO 3 days is a good amount considering 1-2 day trips
- could check out an ice cave, although not sure how easy it would be for a 4 year old. They are available at Werfen or Dachstein.
- Hallstatt for a scenic town. There is a salt mine here as well. Probably would want to choose between this and Berchestgaden.

- Are you going up the Zugspitze from Garmisch or visiting the town? If you are looking for a german alpine town, Mittenwald would also be an alternative.
- Neuschwanstein castle
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1123 posts
301 upvotes
Montréal
Aristophanes wrote: Swiss is a great airline. Check if your ZRH-TXL leg is actually with Swiss or with Euro/Germanwings. It's a lot of codesharing now from Swiss for intra-European flights.

Your itin looks good. Salzburg you won't need 3 nights. You can do it in 2 days/2 nights

Is all this by train?
All the flights are with Swiss so I guess that's a good thing !

And yes it's all by train.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1123 posts
301 upvotes
Montréal
soty_614 wrote: Offering some alternate day trips to consider:

Salzburg
- probably only need a day to see the main sights in the city, in a rush. IMO 3 days is a good amount considering 1-2 day trips
- could check out an ice cave, although not sure how easy it would be for a 4 year old. They are available at Werfen or Dachstein.
- Hallstatt for a scenic town. There is a salt mine here as well. Probably would want to choose between this and Berchestgaden.

- Are you going up the Zugspitze from Garmisch or visiting the town? If you are looking for a german alpine town, Mittenwald would also be an alternative.
- Neuschwanstein castle
Thanks for those suggestions about Salzburg.

The visit to Garmisch was for the Zugsptize but we are not fix on that. Mittenwald seems lovely and there's also a gondola there (not as high the Zugspitze is).

We don't plan to go see Neuschwanstein castle. That castle looks a bit fake to me and doesn't justify the long trip to get there.
May 7, 2004
199 posts
98 upvotes
Scarborough
I noted that WIKITRAVEL is a great site that tells about basically everything you need to know about planning your trip and whats not to miss. e.g. Wiki Travel for Berlin is at http://wikitravel.org/en/Berlin

Are you done your hotel bookings already or is it through some agent? I found that Accor Hotels offers a variety of Budget to Hi end hotel choices.

Cheapest travel in the cities is by Bus, some buses offer free travel for ages less than 15. Try IC Bahn buses at www.bahn.de

All the best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1123 posts
301 upvotes
Montréal
Thanks for the wikitravel suggestion, it seems to be an excellent information source. I'm surprised that I havent cross that one with all my search !
soty_614 wrote: Just incase you were not aware, there are regional passes for families on trains that might be cheaper than individual tickets for some of your travelling. I.e. Salzburg to Munich using the Bavaria pass. 27E for you 4.

http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/offers/nat ... view.shtml
Yeah I know that. I've done a lot of reading about train in Germany (seat61 is wonderful for train travel in Europe). It's all thoise readings that convince us that we wont need to hire a car there.