• May 3rd, 2019 3:07 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2015
23 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON

24 Hour Layover in Zurich - Any Tips

Hello all,

I have an upcoming trip to east africa and will be laying over in Zurich for roughly 24 hours. I have a hotel booked but i was wondering if anyone has any tips on places to visit, restaurants to eat at and general tips? I land in Zurich at 8am and fly out the next day at 9am.

TIA!
7 replies
Jun 13, 2018
633 posts
470 upvotes
I'm interested in replies too. I'll be on a day tour of Zurich on Aug 24
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1809 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA West
Here's some ideas.

For casual lunches try the cafeteria in one of the big Migros stores downtown. Great quality selections that are more reasonably priced than those pricey Zurich restaurants. There are a couple in the center, I am not sure which one we went to.

You can take the ferry for a scenic cruise on the Zurichsee to Rapperswil, a picturesque and walkable medieval town at the other end of the Zurichsee (lake of Zurich). They serve coffee on board the ferry, which is part of the Zuerich transit system. A pleasant easy trip. I think you have the option of returning by train, although we didn't try that.

Window shop along the Bahnhofstrasse, said to be one of the world's most expensive shopping streets. We bought a $125 Tissot watch just to experience their store - I think it was the cheapest item they carried. You buzz to be let in and the suited professional salesperson is like a butler who asks if you would like a coffee while you ponder your purchases.

Admire all things Swiss - like the precision of their clocks and the way they park. As our Swiss friends explained, they make a lot of rules and then they obey them!

You can go to the Uetliberg tower and climb it for a great view over Zurich. Very nice, but spectacular views are to be found everywhere in Switzerland. I think there is an expensive restaurant there.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2015
23 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Here's some ideas.

For casual lunches try the cafeteria in one of the big Migros stores downtown. Great quality selections that are more reasonably priced than those pricey Zurich restaurants. There are a couple in the center, I am not sure which one we went to.

You can take the ferry for a scenic cruise on the Zurichsee to Rapperswil, a picturesque and walkable medieval town at the other end of the Zurichsee (lake of Zurich). They serve coffee on board the ferry, which is part of the Zuerich transit system. A pleasant easy trip. I think you have the option of returning by train, although we didn't try that.

Window shop along the Bahnhofstrasse, said to be one of the world's most expensive shopping streets. We bought a $125 Tissot watch just to experience their store - I think it was the cheapest item they carried. You buzz to be let in and the suited professional salesperson is like a butler who asks if you would like a coffee while you ponder your purchases.

Admire all things Swiss - like the precision of their clocks and the way they park. As our Swiss friends explained, they make a lot of rules and then they obey them!

You can go to the Uetliberg tower and climb it for a great view over Zurich. Very nice, but spectacular views are to be found everywhere in Switzerland. I think there is an expensive restaurant there.

Thank you for this! Really looking forward to it. Did you happen to try any of the cheese/chocolates?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1809 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA West
Mufasa69 wrote: Thank you for this! Really looking forward to it. Did you happen to try any of the cheese/chocolates?
Yes, but the Swiss market their products so well abroad that we didn't find much that we don't eat here all the time. So the factory store for Lindt was definitely a letdown. We found Migros to be the best place to buy souvenir chocolate. Of the Swiss cheeses I like Appenzeller the best, and it is a little hard to find here in Canada as well as expensive. I would definitely bring back a big block of that anytime I go there.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3692 posts
207 upvotes
Mississauga
Dealmaker pretty much covered it all.

I'd just add that, if you want to take it easy, walk along the shore of the river, walk in the old town, walk along Bahnhofstrasse as mentioned, climb a few church spires. ETF Polyterasse is a great place for sunsets.
I found it surprisingly laid back for a global financial centre. It has a bit of a small town feel, quite in contrast to New York City etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1809 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA West
twotterdhc6 wrote: Dealmaker pretty much covered it all.

I'd just add that, if you want to take it easy, walk along the shore of the river, walk in the old town, walk along Bahnhofstrasse as mentioned, climb a few church spires. ETF Polyterasse is a great place for sunsets.
I found it surprisingly laid back for a global financial centre. It has a bit of a small town feel, quite in contrast to New York City etc.
I had the same sensation. The Swiss conceal their wealth and don't like ostentation. The guy with a Rolex watch keeps it in a safe and wears a Swatch to the office.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2015
23 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you for this! Yeah i think i'd like to explore the city mainly and walk around. Heard good things about the old town as well so will definitely have it on my list