Careers

27 year old with a bachelors in admin studies looking to explore the possibilities of I.T(considering SAS certification)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2018 7:20 pm
[OP]
Jan 1, 2015
6 posts
North York, ON

27 year old with a bachelors in admin studies looking to explore the possibilities of I.T(considering SAS certification)

Hi guys, I have some big decisions to make this week and I was hoping some of you could maybe help out

To summarize, I have a bachelors in admin studies (basically a business degree from York U). I don't want to pursue a CFA or CPA like most people in my career path or work as a bank teller, etc.

I live near Toronto, I'm 27 years old. People have hobbies and I've had so many but the one that stuck with me seriously was music production. I love being creative in general because it feeds my soul. Ok ok enough about me. Fast forward, lately I have been getting interested in I.T. It's time to make some serious moves. This is mainly because im trying to figure out what to do career wise so Im narrowing things down (if you have any recommendations/ other avenues after reading the thread feel free to respond here or even pm me!).

I dont think it makes sense to go back to school and do another 4-5 year program in I.T.

I'm open to all suggestions but I was researching this SAS certification which kind of blends my current degree with an I.T component.

Can I get some feedback on SAS and how it's treated you? Are there colleges (post grad) or other programs that offer this certification cheaper and faster than the official SAS website? Im open to all other suggestions you guys may have as well, im all ears.

Looking forward to all your responses. Will check back tomorrow. Have a great day!
17 replies
Jan 1, 2010
337 posts
311 upvotes
Whatever you do, make sure that you have some sort of co-op involved. It makes a HUGE difference.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10620 posts
4894 upvotes
Brampton
JohnFo wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 7:05 pm
Hi guys, I have some big decisions to make this week and I was hoping some of you could maybe help out

To summarize, I have a bachelors in admin studies (basically a business degree from York U). I don't want to pursue a CFA or CPA like most people in my career path or work as a bank teller, etc.

I live near Toronto, I'm 27 years old. People have hobbies and I've had so many but the one that stuck with me seriously was music production. I love being creative in general because it feeds my soul. Ok ok enough about me. Fast forward, lately I have been getting interested in I.T. It's time to make some serious moves. This is mainly because im trying to figure out what to do career wise so Im narrowing things down (if you have any recommendations/ other avenues after reading the thread feel free to respond here or even pm me!).

I dont think it makes sense to go back to school and do another 4-5 year program in I.T.

I'm open to all suggestions but I was researching this SAS certification which kind of blends my current degree with an I.T component.

Can I get some feedback on SAS and how it's treated you? Are there colleges (post grad) or other programs that offer this certification cheaper and faster than the official SAS website? Im open to all other suggestions you guys may have as well, im all ears.

Looking forward to all your responses. Will check back tomorrow. Have a great day!
So do you have an interest in IT or not?

SAS is not IT SAS is SAS. SAS falls under the larger umbrella of Data Analytics. Data Analytics happens to use a computer but it's not IT.

IT is more the nuts and bolts of keeping technology infrastructure running.
Jan 1, 2010
337 posts
311 upvotes
I'm around 30 now. I was 27 when I started my program too. I was in the same boat as you. I got bored outta my mind at work. Luckily my employer was kind enough to let me go back to school while I was working. I ended up taking the Computer Programmer at Sheridan.

https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/pr ... programmer

I messed up and didn't take the co-op portion, so while I can code and stuff. It's tough for someone to give you a shot. Most school have a jobs section exclusively for co-op students and build up your experience for long term employment.

Someone people signed up for the 3 year course and did 1.5 years in class, did a co-op term and switched back out to the 2 year program just so that they could graduate after as well.

The point here is, whatever you do make sure you do something that offers a Co-op program.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6083 posts
4357 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tebore wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 6:16 pm
So do you have an interest in IT or not?

SAS is not IT SAS is SAS. SAS falls under the larger umbrella of Data Analytics. Data Analytics happens to use a computer but it's not IT.

IT is more the nuts and bolts of keeping technology infrastructure running.
Agreed. When I think IT, I think help desk, active directory, hardware, networking etc. OP is probably learning more towards business intelligence
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7840 posts
2188 upvotes
Finance / Business plus SAS is a nice combination to have
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
[OP]
Jan 1, 2015
6 posts
North York, ON
Can someone else chime in? thanks guys.

Im looking at this from the outside obviously, and I dont know whats hot and whats in demand. I want to do SAS because I want to utilize my previous degree in business basically. To be honest, I hated the idea of doing accounting/finance/statistics but it seems so much easier with the software and all.

I mean, I dont love it, but Im also not incapable if that makes sense?.

What other avenues can I take? Anybody here doing something similar?

However, im open to any comments, opinions or suggestions!!
[OP]
Jan 1, 2015
6 posts
North York, ON
ninja_warrior wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 7:31 pm
I'm around 30 now. I was 27 when I started my program too. I was in the same boat as you. I got bored outta my mind at work. Luckily my employer was kind enough to let me go back to school while I was working. I ended up taking the Computer Programmer at Sheridan.

https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/pr ... programmer

I messed up and didn't take the co-op portion, so while I can code and stuff. It's tough for someone to give you a shot. Most school have a jobs section exclusively for co-op students and build up your experience for long term employment.

Someone people signed up for the 3 year course and did 1.5 years in class, did a co-op term and switched back out to the 2 year program just so that they could graduate after as well.

The point here is, whatever you do make sure you do something that offers a Co-op program.
Hi, if you dont mind me asking, what do you do now exactly? hows the job market? are you comfortable with the workloads and pay? how does your average day go by?
[OP]
Jan 1, 2015
6 posts
North York, ON
aeba7 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:16 pm
Agreed. When I think IT, I think help desk, active directory, hardware, networking etc. OP is probably learning more towards business intelligence
I mean, I have built my personal computer in the past, I can type fast as hell and Im pretty good with computers. I guess I am leaning more towards business intelligence based on what you said, then again i am testing the waters and reading up on everything possible before I commit. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!
Jan 1, 2010
337 posts
311 upvotes
JohnFo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 5:06 pm
Hi, if you dont mind me asking, what do you do now exactly? hows the job market? are you comfortable with the workloads and pay? how does your average day go by?
What I do now has nothing to do with what I went to school for. I tried holding out for an I.T position but because I didn't have any experience I had to give that up. The job market is okay, specifically I'd say the cyber security niche (great opportunities). However, if I could redo it I definitely would taken a program with co-op, even if you end up going for business intelligence. The biggest problem is that no one wants to give you a shot because it will cost them money, if you don't end up working out. So they mitigate that risk by focusing on people who have prior experience. My buddy went to Sheridan on a 3 year co-op program and after he graduated he landed a $65k job straight out of school and it took him less than a month.

The other 2 parts of your question I can't answer cuz of it isn't applicable to myself. I'm planning on transitioning into a Business Analyst at the current place I work or something but at this point I'm ruling out I.T positions.
Mar 13, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
I would recommend against taking an SAS certificate course. SAS licenses are quite expensive, only medium or large companies use it. Unfortunately the probability of getting a business intelligence job with no relevant experience and just this certificate is close to 0.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6083 posts
4357 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is strictly from my own personal experience, but getting into business intelligence requires some backwards thinking:

- Business intelligence is being able to take data and transform it into meaningful knowledge
- This usually takes the form of data visualizations, reporting and insight derivation
- In order to create meaningful visualizations and reports, you need to understand 1) the business, and 2) the technical

- understanding the business is pretty straight forward. You need to know what your company does, and what metrics are relevant in driving decision making

- understanding the technical is a little bit trickier. Effective use of a data visualization and reporting tool goes beyond clicking and dragging. You should be comfortable with writing formulas, coding logic, database fundamentals and a little bit of stats
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Oct 5, 2016
45 posts
20 upvotes
JohnFo wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 7:05 pm

Are you open to moving to Ottawa and working for the federal government ?

If so, check out StatCan. They are a major user of SAS. You would get free SAS training and could become an expert in the technology if that is your goal.
I think your degree is more aligned to the EC classification than CS.

There is usually an annual EC recruitment campaign. Here is some information on the one from 2017:

EC Recruitment Program
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto ON
Okay, I am in the same boat, just much older than you and have no idea what SAS and co-op are, also I am self-made (back the old days there was no "programing" or "IT" in the university, at least where I come from). Currently Sr.Software Dev, same hobby and I made my career decision when I was 27 - IT.

If you wanna stay close to the finance - go for BI or BA. Both are good I think. Won't be fast - you need certificates.

Faster route is QA, could also lead to BA later. Also could involve your finance bcgr - if you work in a financial organization

You could also become a dev and at some point it could also lead you to a BA. Depends on many things.

You choose. I would recommend go straight for BA.